Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Cates

Thanks to everyone!

Just a note to say it was great to see everyone at SiP today. What a great turn out. We had a blast seeing everyone...kind of full circle for us from Sip #1. If you bought the film today please let us know what you honestly thought of it. Your honesty will help be of tremendous help to us.

Again, and as always, you guys are the absolute best and thanks for sticking with us ALL these years.

Curtis and Terri

Curtis and Terry-

I promise once i am more awake and certainly more articulate i will post a full review on the DVD website..

but i do want to say that the documentary was fantastic! it made me so excited to finally see it!! i am trying to go through the second disk as i type this, but being out in the sun all day has started to make me tired!

thanks to the both of you for taking the time to stop by and bring the DVDs! it was wonderful to finally meet you!!

~Jess, aka specialbunny

We've only been through the 1st hour of disc 1, but we were both totaly blown away! A lot of what's on there is stuff I've never seen, and the production values are top shelf. Kudos and it was a pleasure finally meeting you two!

I loved every minute of the first disc. I wish I could watch number 2 but I have to pack for a trip tomorrow. Thanks so much for keeping the magic of the fair alive.

Finished the first disc, and WOW! it really came together!

Had a chance to enjoy the main documentary on the way home on the train, and it was great! I was so hooked I was hoping I'd arrive just a little late so I'd be finished with it. I can hardly wait to see the outtakes on Disc 2.

Congratulations on a great job, that was well worth the wait!

I watched Disc #1 last night too. Very nice!

Like Eric, I'm saving Disc #2, perhaps for tonight. You want to savor it, not gulp it all down at once! Maybe I'll also have that bag of popcorn that came with the DVD (if you bought on-line).

Interesting that on Disc #1 they interviewed Michael Brown, the producer of the World of Chemistry musical that we were just talking about yesterday, and he explained that the moving screens and the projectors were all hooked into a computer- you just pushed one button and the show started and ran in it's entirety, with the human performers joining in- but the sequencing and pacing was all programmed into a computer. That still photo that I posted yesterday seemed to show the frames for all three screens on a single reel of film too- I wonder how THAT worked with the three screens being moved all over the place? At first I thought three different projectors mounted on gimbles hooked to the computer that could move the projectors' aim around, but if they were in a single projector, did it have three independent lenses that were independently aimable? Lots of questions.

Quite interesting for a 1964 application of computer to musical theater.

Now I want to go back and watch my VHS tape again, of that whole World of Chemistry show.

I went back and looked at my still photos (only 3 different apparent costume sets of 25 costume changes) and found that it looks like in 1965 they changed the girls' white dresses to halter tops. All the 1965 photos show white halter tops (as does the BBQ DVD- which apparently dates it as 1965 footage). So now we have one MORE documented change for the '65 season (nyw64.com says the script was shortened for 1965, but it doesn't mention costuming changes).

By the way, my wife laughed at the lyrics about nylon, dacron, and so on. :D

Quite a contrast to the pledge from Johnson's Wax that they didn't want a single reference to anything of commercial value in their film (which went on to win an Academy Award).

Michael Brown is a joy to listen to when he speaks about the show. He did a lecture at the QMA a few years ago and it was amazing. He is still quite youthful and a very dapper dresser.

My copy (that I ordered online) arrived in Australia today.

A excellent production, and disc 2 is just the best outakes "reel" ever.

Congratulations, and well done to all involved.

PS. It looks like the "popcorn" doesnt make it into package bound for down under! :huh: