eastern long island fan

new security around the towers

the family stopped by the nys pavillion on the way back from nyc yesterday for maybe another peek of the map.

well there is a new fence around the towers that also includes slats that obstruct the view :angry:

i am sure it just a matter of time as to when they repair the fence that leads into the nys pavillion.

oh well, looking foward to s.i.p. :D

That must be the Parks Dept's way of securing the elevators. Put up a slatted fence so people can't see them. I do hope it doesn't screw anything up for the 22nd.

That must be the Parks Dept's way of securing the elevators. Put up a slatted fence so people can't see them. I do hope it doesn't screw anything up for the 22nd.

I am getting so ticked of at Parks if that is ture :angry: I shall personally call them right now and ask they fix the elevator properly!

I am getting so ticked of at Parks if that is ture :angry: I shall personally call them right now and ask they fix the elevator properly!

Nick- don't you live in Australia? I'm just wondering how you get your mystical abilities to call NYC Parks department at what is 2:09am in New York, and get directly connected to the higher up authorities who are more than glad to take priority notice of your request to get the Elevators fixed properly. The reason I ask is that over the years, many of us have written and communicated with Parks, and several of us know people who work with Parks. In fact, one of our PTU members recently had a personal conversation with Ms. Shulman, who is the top of the food chain with Parks. So if you have a special connection that can get you an instant audience with Parks where they will take a request serious enough to give it priority action (which all of your postings imply) then perhaps you can share it with all of us, and we ALL can call the same number that you call and can get more immediate results! Much obliged- JS

I agree with Jason, Nick...share the number. Could it be that the parks department has been reading this board and fenced off the towers to keep some of our members off the towers? Just a thought.

Bog- I actually started writing a reply yesterday similar to yours. I often see non-members listed as viewing the site thru search engines etc. I can't believe that all the talk about entering certain areas or even collecting souvenirs has remained purely amongst our tight circle of friends. Or perhaps people have been observed climbing up the towers. And that story that was relayed recently about some guys attempting to bungee jump..things like that spread like wildfire- true or not. My personal opinions shift regarding taking pieces of the map for instance. I think giving Jess a star from the map would be amazing, yet is it right to take something that has survived til now, and if we're begging for restoration and protection should we be the ones making things worse? Don't get me wrong, I'm not preaching, I clearly see both sides of the coin and I'm not sure where I ultimately stand. I do think that I'd rather see someone who is passionate about the fair have something special rather than it be randomly vandalized for the sport of it.

Let's hope this is the first step in some positive move by the NYS parks department. I am sure we'll be able to share some spirited opinions on 6/22!!

/ Nancy

I agree with Jason, Nick...share the number. Could it be that the parks department has been reading this board and fenced off the towers to keep some of our members off the towers? Just a thought.

That thought occured to me too.

Lack of a fence is a lawsuit waiting to happen, if a climber were to get seriously injured. And recent revelations on PTU are basically a 'public broadcast'. I think there may be a 'closed topic' capability on this Board, where the creator of a topic can limit access to it to registered PTUers only, but I'm not positive about that. Until then, we have to assume that people in the Parks dept. are reading everything here.

I've been thinking the above for some time now as have others in here - since the illustrated post about climbing the thing. It is contradictory to preserving the structure. I recall the saw comment as well. We are not the only people reading this stuff obviously.

MB

What has really changed in the past few weeks is the opening of the new part of the theather in the park. They also planted bushes where the main entrance to the NYSP was. I will be meeting with a big wig in the parks dept. on friday with many questions about the pavillion. The last time there, I looked at the blueprints of the new and improved fountain of the continents. They also turned me down FOR NOW on painting the base of the unisphere. But the historical society and parks dept. are interested and are keeping my package on file. Could you believe they never knew that the base of the uni was blue during the fair and not black like it is today.They aso told me two months ago a new firm was going to do structural tests on the pavillion. Also, when i told them about the skystreak falling in a year or two and that it would be a great item in the museum they just said good idea. On the subject of artifacts being taken from the pavillion, if i could i would take the skystreak home a restore it. At least it would be restored to its initial beauty and preserved. AND I HOPE THE PARKS DEPT. READS THIS..........................JOHNNY AT THE FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has really changed in the past few weeks is the opening of the new part of the theather in the park. They also planted bushes where the main entrance to the NYSP was. I will be meeting with a big wig in the parks dept. on friday with many questions about the pavillion. The last time there, I looked at the blueprints of the new and improved fountain of the continents. They also turned me down FOR NOW on painting the base of the unisphere. But the historacal society and parks dept. are interested and are keeping my package on file. Could you believe they never knew that the base of the uni was blue during the fair and not black like it is today.They aso told me two months ago a new firm was going to do structural tests on the pavillion. Also, when i told them about the skystreak falling in a year or two and that it would be a great item in the museum they just said good idea. On the subject of artifacts being taken from the pavillion, if i could i would take the skysreak to my home a restore it. At least it would be restored to its initial beauty and preserved. And i hope the parks Dept. reads this. ..........................JOHNNY AT THE FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John if you can, please find out where the restored tiles from the NYSP will be going. I heard yesterday that they are now sitting outside on a cart inside the Tent of Tomorrow which really ticks me off.

Al

John if you can, please find out where the restored tiles from the NYSP will be going. I heard yesterday that they are now sitting outside on a cart inside the Tent of Tomorrow which really ticks me off.

Al

You got it AL.

Nick- don't you live in Australia? I'm just wondering how you get your mystical abilities to call NYC Parks department at what is 2:09am in New York, and get directly connected to the higher up authorities who are more than glad to take priority notice of your request to get the Elevators fixed properly. The reason I ask is that over the years, many of us have written and communicated with Parks, and several of us know people who work with Parks. In fact, one of our PTU members recently had a personal conversation with Ms. Shulman, who is the top of the food chain with Parks. So if you have a special connection that can get you an instant audience with Parks where they will take a request serious enough to give it priority action (which all of your postings imply) then perhaps you can share it with all of us, and we ALL can call the same number that you call and can get more immediate results! Much obliged- JS

Yeah, i was being a bit over dramatic. But, i will try to write to them again, though. Probably something i should tell you all is that i am actually only 14 years old. I should have told you all much sooner, sorry for the confusion of my age. Oh, and yes, i do reside in Australia. G'day to you all.

Age is not a discriminator here Nick- you're welcome as are people of all ages!

In fact although you might get the prize for youngest (for now)- we have 2 or 3 others who are in the 19 to 22 range.

We needed you on here a couple of years ago to settle the debate "if you drilled down directly into the earth from the World's Fair park in Flushing Meadow, passing directly through the earth's core, would you come out in China? (or Australia?) The common urban legend (or Hollywood cartoon premise) was always that anybody in North America digging down like that would come out in China. Somebody concluded that you'd actually be smack in the middle of the Indian Ocean if you started your dig in the New York City area, but who's to say. Maybe we'd pop up in your back yard. :D

Also, there was a debate several years ago, with the question if you drain the bathtub (or flush the toilet) in the southern hemisphere, does the water swirl clockwise or counterclockwise as it goes down the drain?. i.e. is it the opposite direction as the northern hemisphere, because of the coreolis effect, or some obscure scientific concept like that.

I don't have the slightest recollection of what triggered that question, but it's one of those oddities that perhaps only someone on your side of the globe could answer without being theoretical or speculative.

Enough weird questions.

When is the next World's Fair in Australia? I want to come.

If you ever get a chance to visit the site of the '39-40 and '64-65 World's Fairs, be sure to get your picture taken near 'Australia' on the Unisphere and post it here. It's the continent that's the nearest to where you could stand for a photo. At least most of the year, when there's not water in the fountain.

Well then, how old was David Oats when he was nabbed by Pinkertons? It might help that someone from another continent notices to the embarrassment of the Parks Department.

Are there any pictures of the new fencing? I was there a couple of weeks back and did not see anything.

SL

I was there on Memorial Day, 5/26/08. I didn't realize the fence was such a controversial item or I would have taken a picture to document it. I can confirm unequivocally that there is a fence around the towers. Here are some pics I took of everything but the fence:

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

Regards,

David C. (AKA Elektro)

SOMEBODY said Art Bell sent them.....LOL :D

Actually the The Otis's tracks are now off the support collum at points , cant even tie the counterweight to cut it loose.

CW is 2200 lbs high density lead "bullet" over 72+ feet above ground .....do the math if that falls into the pyle cap !!!!!!

Add more ......If the spool jams in a freefall.

This according last weeks en**eer at the sight "scairey" ......somebody sent a letter and the city looked into and said "oh sh*t"

They think the car is being pulled apart from its cables from the top VS the rear frame thats on the track.

I guess....this building now has attention !!!!

The end is nigh.

Like I said before only the NY Parks Department would spend millions adding on to a theatre with a building that could fall over a few feet away. The tent is a major undertaking but it would be so easy to paint and light those towers and make them presentable.

FINALLY - the parks will get what it's been waiting for - a genuinely dangerous situation that they must act upon and, thereby, decide to tear everything down in the interest of public safety while avoiding the terrible truth that it is their own negilence that has brought this on. AAARRRGGGHHHH

Duh, Parks monitors this site ?

HELLLLLOOOO, I mentioned this in prior posts and in conversations with quite a few of you here.

For the umpteenth time: Yes, parks and other city agencies monitor this and many other sites. Parkies register on this site and occassionally post their propaganda or defend parks' actions.

They know who we are and what we're saying.

In the case of the fence and shrubs planted around it, it's to hide how neglected and bad the towers look as not to offend the sensibilities of well-heeled QTiP theatre goers. Out of sight, out of mind.

Trees are planted around the old WF PO to hide it as well.

Note to Parks flunkie reading this: You'd better do something about the skystreak pretty quick before a good gust of wind pulls off part of the steel skin and it hits someone. Better if it's before someone from the Queens Tribune and Daily News gets back to me.

So it sounds like the fence is primarily due to a letter pointing out the precarious situation of the Skystreak elevator, not to fence out any particular climbers who may or may not have broadcast their activities on PTU. But that's not to say that they DON'T read PTU and know all about the climbers. Or that the fence could serve dual purposes.

IMG_0630.jpg

Funny, I see Battlestar Galactica "Cylons" when I look at this photo.

Just imagine a red panel moving side to side. What a design.

"Intruder Alert.....Kill the Intruder!"