Posted Image

#32 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

I received my first copy of the New Orleans book today. It's always exciting to finally hold the finished product in your hands. I'll have more copies next week and will mail out the ones promised to the folks who helped me out just as soon as I get them.

Bill

#33 SAINTSFAN

SAINTSFAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

Looking forward to it tomorrow. Any signings planned?

Do you know where I can find some of the posters from the 1984 World's Fair?

#34 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

The publisher's agent is in New Orleans this week delivering the first copies of the book and checking into signings. I'll post information here as things develop. I hope you enjoy the book!

As to posters, they show up on eBay pretty often, usually for a reasonable amount. Good luck with the hunt.

Bill

#35 chef

chef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

Hey Bill I just found this site. I enjoyed the Fair immensly and have many pictures from the event. I have pictures of the fireworks, I believe some of the space shuttle on the river and at least one of the Union Pacific Engine. I know the book is already out but I will share these and more with you if you are interested. I also have some posters that I am interested in selling if you know anyone interested. Great book by the way it brought back many memories.

Besides me, of course. Posted Image

I just had the pleasure of signing the contract for a book on this Fair with Arcadia, with a planned publication date of January 2009. I would love to hear from anyone else that was at the Fair or has an interest in it to make sure I get as much of the story covered as possible. I'm also interested in any recent pictures of the site.

Thanks

Bill

#36 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for buying the book and the kind words.

I'd love to see any pictures you have of the Fair, and I'm sure others would as well. If you need any help with the posting features here just let me know. What posters do you have?

I am sorry to see that New Orleans is apparently ignoring the 25th anniversary of the Fair. If you hear of any celebrations please let us know.

Welcome to the forum!

Bill

#37 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

Here's a new site about the 1984 Fair:

http://www.1984worldsfairmemories.com/

It has some fun shots so far from the Fair. Stop by and check it out. I've invited the site owner to join us here as well.

The book, by the way, sold out of it's first printing, so I'm happy about that. The 1984 fair gets so little positive attention that I was worried I might be the only one who remembered it in a positive light. I'm glad that doesn't seem to be the case. The book should be reprinted soon, and I still have copies if anyone is interested.

#38 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:01 PM

Posted Image
Seymour D. Fair

#39 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

Seymour D. Fair

We had some postings somewhere here about how unmemorable and unrelated to the fairs most of their mascots have been. Seymour at least seems to have some connection to the place.

#40 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

When Seymour first appeared he was only called "our unnamed pelican mascot". A local market chain held a contest for a name and he was no longer anonymous. The fair also had an alligator mascot added later but I havn't seen anything naming him, nor any merchandise that I can recall.

Posted Image

Another shot of the Adventures of Seymour.

#41 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,396 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

I like Seymour.

But that is a classic example of the worst of late 70's / early 80's Detroit car design. Hideous!

You Chrysler experts- is it a Cordoba? (with "rich Corinthian leather" according to Ricardo Montalban)

#42 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

I was expecting a comment or two about that car!!

#43 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

I like Seymour.

But that is a classic example of the worst of late 70's / early 80's Detroit car design. Hideous!

You Chrysler experts- is it a Cordoba? (with "rich Corinthian leather" according to Ricardo Montalban)

Sad that I know this... I think it's a Le Baron.

#44 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

Posted Image
The Original Great American Chocolate Chip Cookie Company float

#45 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:29 AM

I'd have to agree on the Le Baron. Wasn't that the new "K" chassis that Chrysler was banking their comeback on? The "K-car" and the innovative Caravan brought Chrysler out of the hole. They even repaid their bailout from the government, didn't they?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users