Bogframe

The Sunsphere

57 posts in this topic

I'm replying to an old post, but I found it because I have a button from the 1982 World's Fair that says, "I was there on Closing Day!" Google led me to this website, so I joined. I have a lot of memorabilia from the 1982 World's Fair.

Welcome! Please feel free to share any memories you have of the fair. I'm glad you found us.

Bill

Welcome! Please feel free to share any memories you have of the fair. I'm glad you found us.

Bill

I attended the fair with my teenage daughter. One of my fondest memories was riding the bus from Fountain City to the fair. Everyone was so friendly, as East Tennesseans always are, and they would ask, "Y'all goin' to the fair?" The bus driver would let us off at the nearest spot to my uncle's house, where we were staying--in the middle of the block. Nowhere near a bus stop. Knoxville is the most accommodating, friendly place and dear to my heart.

My uncle was retired and volunteered at the fair. He would pick up performers from the airport and drive them. He had no idea who the rock and rollers were. One day he said he picked up a group with the most peculiar name, Air Supply.

My daughter and I wore those diddly-bobbers or whatever they were called, all through the fair.

K-town as it's known

i-k2QN3HH-L.jpg

My daughter and I wore those diddly-bobbers or whatever they were called, all through the fair.

Like these? :)

deely-boppers.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deely_Bobber

By the way, I think that picture may have more people wearing shorts than wore shorts during the entire 64/65 Fair. - Just my impression.

By the way, I think that picture may have more people wearing shorts than wore shorts during the entire 64/65 Fair. - Just my impression.

Culture Shift from '65 to '82, plus deep south heat and humidity.

Also, think back to what may have been the most popular TV show in America in 1982:

http://effortlesscool.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/daisy_duke.jpg