Bogframe

The Sunsphere

57 posts in this topic

Halloween at the Sunsphere 1982. The button/inset reads "I was there on Closing Day!". The people who worked there made the Fair special, serving those who would often have to wait hours for the elevator ride to the reataurant. Over 15,000 people applied for jobs at the Fair and 3,000 applied for the handful of jobs at the Hardee's restaurant in the Sunsphere, which remained open after the Fair. This photo was taken in the fourth level food staging area.

300339553_oQVCe-L.jpg

Great shots - thanks for sharing them.

Hardee's also had one of their standard fast food restaurants at the base of the Sunsphere. Here's a view of the entrance to that:

1982-hardees.jpg

Thanks Bill, always looking for more interior shots. Here is another one:

301364330_8fdku-L-1.jpg

Halloween at the Sunsphere 1982. A seating chart appears in front of the Amex card swipe and adding machine. The waitress is also wearing a "I was there on Closing Day!" button. Photo from waitress station.

Interesting shot of the wait staff at the Sunsphere Restaurant. I had no idea how grotesque clothing styles in the 1980's really were. The dude in the monkey suit is better dressed than the other three.

Interesting shot of the wait staff at the Sunsphere Restaurant. I had no idea how grotesque clothing styles in the 1980's really were. The dude in the monkey suit is better dressed than the other three.

Period clothing is more represented in Bill's photo of people waiting in line at the ground floor Hardee's. I would not presume as much from Halloween costumes.

There is a new web site that has a lot of information about the Sunsphere.

www.marthasunsphere.blogspot.com

please contact me at www.marthasunsphere.blogspot.com for information about the Sunsphere. I have done research about it for 2 years.

I have numerous interior shots of the Sunsphere, if I can figure out how to load them.

Martha

I am the author of the newest book written about the Sunsphere:

Knoxville's Sunsphere; Biography of a Landmark. It gives the history from the time the Sunsphere was imagined up until last year.

Welcome, Martha!

Looking forward to learning about the Sunsphere. Good luck with your upcoming book!

Gettin' back to that/those Leisure World Unisphere's, it has to be more than a coincidence or just an attention getter that the continents were stair stepped contours like the USS version. I thought Bill would instantly know the connection, like if you subtract 1 from the number of letters in each word of "Leisure World" you get 64!

To make up for getting so far off orbit on the subject Sunsphere with Unisphere here it is again in context with the Galaxie:

296375636_dnBJh-L.jpg

Hi, Martha. To add a photo to a message look below the text entry box for the "Browsee" button. Select the file on your computer you want to post then click upload. That should do it.

Where is your book available?

Bill

Other than the guy in the gorilla suit, I did not recognize the clothing as costumes.

Here's a view of the Sunsphere before they had to worry about pesky birds:

sunsphere-and-wind-vane.jpg

Sorry, I didn't see anything in that reply, Martha.

Hi, Martha. To add a photo to a message look below the text entry box for the "Browsee" button. Select the file on your computer you want to post then click upload. That should do it.

Where is your book available?

Bill

My book is available at Amazon.com and 4 local book stores. I only have a few copies left, so I hope people from the community will order them soon.

Martha

My book is available at Amazon.com and 4 local book stores. I only have a few copies left, so I hope people from the community will order them soon.

Martha

Bill,

I sent you a couple of private e mails and have not heard back; hope you got them.

Martha

Martha

If you will look at the two galleries I uploaded, you can see some of the nice photos I have.

Regards,

Martha

post-4005-1212186022_thumb.jpg

If you will look at the two galleries I uploaded, you can see some of the nice photos I have.

Regards,

Martha

This photo fo me in the red blouse was taken high up on the 8th floor of the Sunsphere; most people are not allowed up there, but, I have friends in high places.

Thanks for uploading the photos to the gallery, Martha. I had replied to your messages via this system - look for "New messages" up in the upper right.

Bill

Thanks Bill, always looking for more interior shots. Here is another one:

301364330_8fdku-L-1.jpg

Halloween at the Sunsphere 1982. A seating chart appears in front of the Amex card swipe and adding machine. The waitress is also wearing a "I was there on Closing Day!" button. Photo from waitress station.

Devil in Disguise: another last day Halloween shot from the waitress station; she is tallying up a check on a modern data entry device. I can make out the check title as "Sunsphere Restaurant" with what looks like a Sunsphere graphic. There are 6 items and 5 columns; the menu had 7 entrees, 8 appetizers, 2 salads and 6 beverage choices .. more research is in order.

305746275_oqzzH-L.jpg

Devil in Disguise: another last day Halloween shot from the waitress station; she is tallying up a check on a modern data entry device. I can make out the check title as "Sunsphere Restaurant" with what looks like a Sunsphere graphic. There are 6 items and 5 columns; the menu had 7 entrees, 8 appetizers, 2 salads and 6 beverage choices .. more research is in order.

305746275_oqzzH-L.jpg

What an incredible thread about the Only World's Fair I have ever attended. I have always loved the Sunsphere, and am so pleased to find others that do as well.

Martha, I'd love to have a copy of your book. I will go to Amazon asap and see if there are any available.

Also feel free to Join my YahooGroup on the 1982 World's Fair (if you haven't already).

Thanks so much!!

Jim

Sunsphere restaurant employees in Halloween costumes, even the chef made it into this photo. Hardee's Sunsphere restaurant remained open for another 17 months after the Fair closed. This photo was taken in the fourth level food staging area on October 31, 1982, last day of the Knoxville Fair.

314315066_dtQrK-L.jpg

What an incredible thread about the Only World's Fair I have ever attended. I have always loved the Sunsphere, and am so pleased to find others that do as well.

Martha, I'd love to have a copy of your book. I will go to Amazon asap and see if there are any available.

Also feel free to Join my YahooGroup on the 1982 World's Fair (if you haven't already).

Thanks so much!!

Jim

Jim

I hope you were able to find a copy of Knoxville's Sunsphere.

Let me know if not.

Regards,

Martha Rose Woodward