Jim Brown

Pre-Opening Day tour of Fairgrounds - Sun., April 20

April 21th, opening day of the 1964 season of the New York World's Fair is soon approaching. A pre-opening walk through the fairgrounds is independently planned by Jim Brown for Sunday, April 20th as construction workers are rolling on the last touches of paint and technicians are making last minute tests of the rides and audioanimatronic shows. (I am showing a friend around and want to include others from this group.)

The present tense of the time references is intentional. If we can get a few PTU/NYWF64.com members together, it would be fun and nostalgic to go with the mindset that the fair and opening day is in the present and that the pavilions which we will be "seeing" in our minds are actually there. We won't get carried away with this approach but lets have some playfulness and relive the experience. It will be another great opportunity to explore, exchange knowledge, and remember.

DETAILS: Meet Jim Brown, (Wearing WF T-shirt) who will lead the informal tour, at Gate 1, the main entrance near the number 7 subway line. Meet just beyond the turnstiles (invisible) at the benches at 10am. We will wait no later than 10:30am -- after that, find us in the fair! We will have lunch on the fairgrounds -- there are always vendors. Some may want to bring snacks or brown bag-it. Perhaps the Hertz Travel Center Pavilion is open with its present day snack stand and patio eating area. If anyone wishes to go somewhere for dinner, we can plan that on the day. If you are driving, you may want to park near Gate 1 if the lot by the LIRR tracks is open or at the Wisconsin Pavilion (By the NYC Pavilion - See your WF map.)

No need to RSVP -- just show up, but it would be nice to have some idea of interest, so please reply to this thread (If you ARE intending to go.) and I will compile a list much like what is being done for the larger June 22 event.

See you at the Fair!

Suggestion to everybody-

besides posting your event in a message like this, if you scroll up to the top of screen you'll see something in the upper right called "Calendar". Birthdays are there, but you can also post events of various kinds (lower right buttons on the calendar page).

It looks like it is very easy to post a one-time event like a tour, or a SiP, into that calendar.

Just a suggestion; newcomers to PTU might look there early-on before reading their way through all the topic posts of the last several weeks. And they just might find out about the event that way.

This is a new PTU feature that you might want to try.

That doesn't mean don't put the information into a new discussion topic as well- that is very valuable for back-and-forth exchange of ideas.

April 21th, opening day of the 1964 season of the New York World's Fair is soon approaching. A pre-opening walk through the fairgrounds is independently planned by Jim Brown for Sunday, April 20th as construction workers are rolling on the last touches of paint and technicians are making last minute tests of the rides and audioanimatronic shows. (I am showing a friend around and want to include others from this group.)

The present tense of the time references is intentional. If we can get a few PTU/NYWF64.com members together, it would be fun and nostalgic to go with the mindset that the fair and opening day is in the present and that the pavilions which we will be "seeing" in our minds are actually there. We won't get carried away with this approach but lets have some playfulness and relive the experience. It will be another great opportunity to explore, exchange knowledge, and remember.

DETAILS: Meet Jim Brown, (Wearing WF T-shirt) who will lead the informal tour, at Gate 1, the main entrance near the number 7 subway line. Meet just beyond the turnstiles (invisible) at the benches at 10am. We will wait no later than 10:30am -- after that, find us in the fair! We will have lunch on the fairgrounds -- there are always vendors. Some may want to bring snacks or brown bag-it. Perhaps the Hertz Travel Center Pavilion is open with its present day snack stand and patio eating area. If anyone wishes to go somewhere for dinner, we can plan that on the day. If you are driving, you may want to park near Gate 1 if the lot by the LIRR tracks is open or at the Wisconsin Pavilion (By the NYC Pavilion - See your WF map.)

No need to RSVP -- just show up, but it would be nice to have some idea of interest, so please reply to this thread (If you ARE intending to go.) and I will compile a list much like what is being done for the larger June 22 event.

See you at the Fair!

Count me in I always come in on that week end. Last year I was able to get into the TOT. See you at 10. Steve

The restoration of the Texaco map exhibit in the New York City Building (AKA: QMA) will be closing on May 4th. The pre-opening day tour will be during the run of this exhibit, so keep that in mind if you are deciding to join us on April 20. If you can't make it, try to see it on your own. See: http://www.queensmuseum.org/exhibitions/backonmap.htm Note that the exhibit will not be there for the bigger walk on June 22 -- but with live broadcasts, lunch at Hertz, walking, dinner, etc. there will still be plenty to do at the fair!

On this April 20th walk, I hope to be able to premier the idea of playing Ray Dasher soundtracks as we enter the areas of several pavilions.

Here is the list of people for walk THIS SUNDAY, April 20th.

Jim Brown (Host/Tour Guide)

Joe Sawitsky

Paul Knuths

Garry miller (Tentative)

Scrock30 (Steve)

x15er

More are welcome. No need to reserve, just show up (10:30 at the latest before we start to walk.)

Reminder to meet at 10am at the Main Gate (#7 train entrance to the fairgrounds near former turnstiles to fair. See the first post in this thread for details.

Lunch at the "Hurtz Pavilion" if it is open. Otherwise at vendors throughout the grounds. I hear the cafeteria in the Hall of Science is open without museum admission.

Perhaps some may want to go somewhere afterwards for dinner together.

Remember this is a pre-opening day warm-up to the big group event on June 22nd.

See you at the fair!

Opps!!!

I spelled "Hertz" wrong. It is the former Hertz Travel Center which is now a lunch stand with outdoor patio tables located in the transportation area beside the heliport.

BTW. Wether for Sunday should be early spring like with only a CHANCE of rain.

The restoration of the Texaco map exhibit in the New York City Building (AKA: QMA) will be closing on May 4th.

I wish I could make it. Unfortunately I can only manage one NYC trip and I have already committed to June. I really did want to see the map exhibit before it closed, but will have to be satisfied with reading about others' impressions of it. I hope you all have a wonderful time and am looking forward to hearing how it goes on Sunday!

By the way, please let us know if the "Hertz" place is indeed open and how it is. I don't believe that lunch plans have been finalized for the June 22 SiP. It would help to know if this is a viable option (ie. Is it even operating? can it handle a crowd of 30+ hungry World's Fair fans? How is the food?...).

Enjoy, and please let us know how it all goes!

Glen

On this Sunday's micro "SiP" there will be a two firsts.

1) For what may be the first time in 43 years, the sounds of the 1964-65 New York World's Fair will be heard again in Flushing Meadows. That's right — at least recordings of these sounds will be heard by our small group and some New Yorkers within an ear-shot. Thanks to Ray Dashner who snuck a small portable reel-to-reel tape recorder into many of the pavilions and captured these historic sounds. These are probably the only recordings in existence and we will play them in the very spots along the tour where they were first recorded.

2) In anticipation of the live television broadcasts planned for June 22, we will try yet another "technological introduction" at the World's Fair. A live "cell phone conversation" from a PTU group assembled in front of the Bell System exhibit. Something well beyond what was imagined in 1964. If you would like to be called from the fair sometime around and or after 11:00am please reply here with your phone number no later than this Saturday April19 by 11pm. If you do not want to leave it here, e-mail to jimbrown@optisonics.com

The restoration of the Texaco map exhibit in the New York City Building (AKA: QMA) will be closing on May 4th. The pre-opening day tour will be during the run of this exhibit, so keep that in mind if you are deciding to join us on April 20. If you can't make it, try to see it on your own. See: http://www.queensmuseum.org/exhibitions/backonmap.htm Note that the exhibit will not be there for the bigger walk on June 22 -- but with live broadcasts, lunch at Hertz, walking, dinner, etc. there will still be plenty to do at the fair!

On this April 20th walk, I hope to be able to premier the idea of playing Ray Dasher soundtracks as we enter the areas of several pavilions.

Jim, I think it's very nice of you to include the soundtracks on your Sunday tour. I originally wanted to do exactly that during the original SIP (June 2, 2001) but the organizers felt that the length of some of the tracks would not hold everybody's attention. You'll have to be selective and use excerpts with emphasis on FUTURAMA II, FORD, JOHNSON WAX, etc. which were often more than 20 minutes in their original presentations. I wish I could be there to once again relive the many great experiences that I discovered at the NYWF!

Ray Dashner

Thanks Ray for not only capturing these sounds but praising our use of them at the fair this Sunday. I copied the ones we are using onto a CD and edited them so at least the beginnings are right into the meat of the exhibits and will let them play as long as it feels right. Sometime in the future I would like to edit them even further to get all the best stuff into the tour. We will certainly be, as you suggested, using the best stuff such as GE Carousel of Progress, Futurama, Disney at Ford, etc.

I certainly would love to have you there. Perhaps if you could give me your phone number by 11 tonight, April 19, I could make you the person we call in our "Live Cell Phone Call" from the Bell System Pavilion. During that call we will describe what we "see" around the Pool of Industry as if it is still there in front of us.

BTW. The phone we will most likely be using is 1-347-261-7252 if you or anyone else reading this wish to call into the fair and we can then describe where we are at at that moment.

(Please use this number only on that day as it is not mine)

Well I and a group of four others just returned from a long eight hour day at the New York World's Fair. Attending were Jim Brown, Garry Miller, Steve Crockett (scrock30), Tom Lantry (X15er), and Don Cavaioli. We planned on having audio clips of several fair attractions, but at the last minute the CD player flailed. Garry was pleased that we would not have to hear "Its's A Small World." But the group did enjoy singing "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" at the GE Pavilion. There was lots of detail discussion of each of the pavilion sites we passed. I introduced the pavilion and gave a general description and others filled in many interesting facts and stories. Having followed a carefully pre-planned route, we were able to hit a lot of memorable sites and current day legacies most efficiently. Each themed area was covered in considerable detail. We reviewed the World's Fair exhibits and the Panarama of New York in the New York City Building where there is also currently an exhibit on the restoration of portions of the Texaco map from the New York State Pavilion. It will not be there when we have the walk in June. We ate from vendor carts in the transportation Area at the Socony Mobil pavilion, now the site where the carousel that once was in the Amusement area resides. The rest of the day was spent visiting more pavilion sites and collecting "souvenirs" from the rubble around the NY State pavilion. We ended the day by making a cell phone call from the fair as a way to dramatize the technological advances since 1964. A lengthy discussion about the significance of the fair, the dawn of the space age, and the changes in societies attitudes and optimism toward the technology and the future took place in front of the Rocket Thrower, a statue that represents man's reaching to the stars.

Thanks to all who came and contributed a wealth of memories and knowledge.

Sunday was my first visit to the Fairgrounds since joining PTU. I guess all that information I've been absorbing refreshed me because when I first glimpsed the Unisphere and NYS towers from the 7 Train, I got the distinct impression of not so much visiting the "Fairgrounds" or, much less, "FMCP", but actually arriving at the NYWF.

After 1965 I sometimes went to the park to rent Surrey Cycles, play ball, etc. And my travels took me in sight of the place constantly throughout the 70s. But after moving out of NYC, the physical location meant little to me.

When I last visited around 1999, my purpose was only to see the Panorama. (FYI, NYC is in perpetual daylight, the day/night cycle is not working) This time, I saw the Unisphere for what it was... HUGE! and the remnant centerpiece of a tremendous event in my life.

The grounds themselves seemed way too small to pack in all the experience and memories the Fair gave me. If anyone else gets there, take out your cell phone and look up to the patch of ground that hosted the Bell System pavilion and compare what's in your hand to what were technological marvels in 1964.

And, wow, all I've been reading about the deplorable state of the TOT doesn't do it justice. That place is a rusted derelict like NYC's west side piers and if it weren't so hard to raze would long ago have been sunk as an artificial reef off Captree. I watched six people try to get around the gate and onto the tile map floor/grazing meadow in the 10 mins we sat on the Vatican memorial bench.

Interesting to stand on the site of It's A Small World among literally a thousand live people of myriad ethnic groups playing soccer and cricket (there were a half dozen separate pitches active east of the NYSP) and otherwise living, in actuality, the world supposed by the pavilion.

The sycamores and oaks have grown thick but since it was springtime the foliage hadn't yet grown out to block those nice sightlines radiating from the Unisphere. It even smelled like the country compared to Manhattan.

Thanks a lot to Jim Brown for providing maps and conceiving the route. Very nice to meet the rest of you.

And when our structural test of the combination lock and chain on the N gate to the NYS pavilion drew the curiosity of a couple guys with reflective vests, I almost yelled, "Parkees!" and ran for the cyclone fence just out of habit.