Sign in to follow this  
Hoodlock

The Fair from the air

Craig and Bill-

Thanks for the incredible contribution to the study of this Fair and of the Park.

I've had photo and video peeks of birdseye views, but not this good. In the post-fair Park the highest "acessable" View is from the banquet rooms atop Heliport64/Terrace on the Park.

An incredible thing has happened

while I view these images, and I'm being sincere, I can see through the buildings to today!

For 25 years of meandering the ashdump turned

Park-like ashdump I have only been able to study it,(you got it!) from a Park bench.

For those who will soon visit FMCP, print the images if they are printable and take them with you.

Craig, some of your images place things in the Park for me better than the TL65 Map! Bill, could you add the corresponding TL65map gird image for each of

Craigs gift images, oriented as shot, for our side-by-side comparison, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Thank you,

Richard Post

Park Bench

Flushing

New York

Sea Level

Gentlemen --

Allow me to add my voice to those who are, far more elequently than I, expressing their thanks for the beautiful aerial images. The sense of "place" I feel when looking at the pictures, fully 35 years after most of the Fair has faded into memory, is incredible.

And, besides, now I have even more with which to bore my wife. smile.gif

Thanks again, for an invaluable addition to a truly remarkable site.

-- Doug Peterson --

Thank you so much for all your kind comments. It makes all mine and Bills efforts over the last few days on this Feature Site worth it. I have also made available to Bill the 40 other similar quality ground level shots of the pavilions in my collection. So watch for some of these to turn up later on elsewhere on the web site as Bill decides to use them. It makes the great expense that I incurred recently acquiring these pictures worth it even more knowing now that many more fair fans like myself will enjoy them.

Craig

I especially love the shot of the Wonderful World of Scouting pavilion and the Unisphere that stood on that site. I wonder what ever became of it.

Great photos!!

Craig originally sent a selection of photos that he had showing the fountains for a feature I want to do on the Fountains of the Fair. When I got his LARGE scans, they were too good to limit to the fountains.

Take a look at the Illinois Pavilion picture... it is so detailed you can read the inscription on the walls of the building, see the sculpture of Lincoln on Horseback in the courtyard. Just beyond is the LI Railroad exhibit. The cab and observation car (that are being restored today -- see the Legacies pages at nywf64.com) can be seen very clearly as well as the people boarding the miniature train at the station. It's like spying on a moment in time 35 years ago.

Thanks Craig!

Bill

P.S. If other's of you out there have similar aerials you'd like to contribute, I'd be happy to post them too!

Bill

The great thing about this website is you see stuff that you never imagined was still out there.

Bill, as a side note, the LIRR exhibit had an

interesting cupola which protected the loudspeaker system which reproduced the actual sounds of LIRR trains in motion. I have that on my recordings and a copy was sent to the group that is restoring the exhibits' rail cars. When they are once again open to the public, visitors will then hear these sounds as I recorded them on the last day of The Fair, 1965.

You can tell that these pictures were taking early in the first season. First, the Hall of Science isn't there. The area of the Food Pavilion has a new blanket of grass. There is a canopy over the Aquacade that I don’t remember ever seeing. There was no canopy over the Aquacade before and since Florida took over in 1965. Last month I spent some time over by the Long Island Rail Road Pavilion site. Now looking at the pictures it appears that most of the RR pavilion site is not apart of the park any longer. About half of it is now on the other side of the fence and is part of the LIRR. These pictures are full of information like the Indonesia pavilion gateway is still under wraps. The General hasn’t made it to the Better Living Center yet, and I can see the Century Grill. I want more, more, more.

Gary, they are on Bill's site.

On the main page, left side index section, scroll down to "The Fair from the Air".

Enjoy!

-or-

<a href="http://www.nywf64.com/aerial.html" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/aerial.html</a>

The photographs are outstanding. The monochrome images give the Fair an ephemeral look and feel. It really was just a moment in time, a snapshot of the vision of progress in the early 1960's. I've seen so many Fair views but these photos are so detailed that, for the first time, the Fair actually looks dated to me. I don't thnk there was any realistic way to preserve it. In these photos, it will remain forever alive.

The aerial photos are fabulous! Thanks Craig for sharing them with us. Thanks Bill for posting them.

I notice that the "Rocket Thrower" does not appear to be raised on a hill in the photos. Is that an illusion or what that how he was originally? He is now up on a small landscaped "stepped" hill.

I have to give all of you credit for pointing out details that even I didn't notice. I guess I'm gonna have to breakout my trusty magnifying glass now and pour over these photos again.

In a recent e-mail from Bill I discovered that our much admired webmaster only lives about 2.5 hours away from me. Maybe I can make a field trip to see him and the infamous server where our beloved fair now resides in. Bill and I will be working on some more little projects in the future. If the response to those are as enthusiastic as this one was I will open up more of my collection to Bill for all to enjoy.

Craig

[This message has been edited by Craig Bavaro (edited 10-07-2000).]