Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Barton

Sokol Day, 6/6/65

There's a item posted on eBay currently, #453002665, a pin for "Sokol Day" at the NYWF on June 6, 1965. The seller states that this is a "happy pride" item because there was an artist named "Sokol" who painted happy themes. I think this is wrong, because "Sokols" were (and are) Czech organizations that promote Czech culture and language in Europe and around the world. There are many in America, including New York. I think the button commemorates one of the many ethnic celebrations that were held throughout the run of the fair. Is their anyone out their who remembers "Sokol Day" that can verify this?

The event e-bay described would seem unlikely at an event where R.M. made an exhibitor put a bra on a puppet at "Les Poupees de Paris".

While the Czech gov't did not exhibit it seems likely that a World's Fair would have ethnic days, and there was once a fairly cohesive Czech community in Manhattan.

There are still a few up on the East Side, where I believe there's even a Sokol. I'm theorizing this because I know that there were several other tributes to ethnic groups from Eastern Bloc countries whose governments did not have pavillions. I believe there were events celebrating Armenian, Polish and Lithuanian culture for example.

The "permanent World's Fair" of New York. I think there once was a big Czech community concentrated in the East 60s and 70s east of 2nd Ave. Am I correct?

Regarding Sokol Day, here is the Fair Calendar for June 6, 1965.

Yesterday's attendance; 166,569

Total so far this season; 4,298,405

8:30 A.M.-Gates open.

10 A.M.-Antique autos, vintage 1900 to 1910, parade from gate 2 around Unisphere to Bell System Exhibit for display from noon to 5 P.M. Presented by Horseless Carriage Club of America.

10:30 A.M.-Morning service at Protestant and Orthodox Center

Noon-Wisconsin State University Symphony Band, La Crosse, WI. Again at 5:15 P.M. Tiparillo Band Pavilion.

1:00 P.M.-Glee Club, St. Francis College, Biddeford, ME. Again at 3:330 P.M. New England States Exhibit.

2 P.M.-Bergen Regional Ballet Company, River Edge, NJ. Again at 8 P.M.- New Jersey Pavilion.

3 P.M.-The Singing Quakers-Friends University Symphonic Choir; Wichita, KS United States Pavilion.

6 P.M.-Costumed dancers will present the dances of the village greens and courts and ballrooms of 17th and 18th century England. Following this program by the Country Dance Society of America, the spectators are invited to join. To 10 P.M. at the Singer Bowl.

9 P.M.-Familiar melodies, fountain and fireworks; Pool of Industry.

9:30 P.M.-Guy Lambardo and his Royal Canadians; Tiparillo Band Pavilion.

10 P.M.-Exhibits close. Lake Area open to 2 A.M.

Midnight-Ticket booths close.

2 A.M.-Gates close.

For further information call the World's Fair -888-1212

Hoodluck, do you have a day by day breakdown like that for the whole Fair run?

I tried that phone number and no one picked up? I think they may have closed that office.

• Like 1