Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Futurama III

It would appear that the entire Shanghai Expo is running way behind schedule. How could they possibly build all the pavilions in so short a time frame?

Hi Randy

What your saying may be possible.I just went to a meeting with Gm at the NY international auto show And they showed us the new Rivera which is in China. China is a big part of Gm now.They are outselling all other divisions in China.And are going to ship more products to them.The next vehicle to go there is the Buick Enclave.They are doing very heavy marketing there.

Along with new state of the art showrooms. So saying they will be involved with there worlds fair is very possible. I will try to get some info. from GM.

Tony

That picture has come up before but it's the first time I've seen it in color. GM has had it on one of their websites selling prints, saying it was from the 64NYWF. Obviously it wasn't! I believe the general consensus is that it was some sort of mockup. No one has ever turned up a picture of that ride system at any other expo or fair.

Maybe this ride system was from the GM Pavilion at Expo '74 in Spokane... Oregon?

post-387-1208284195_thumb.jpg

This must have been during that brief period of time when Oregon invaded and annexed the eastern part of the state of Washington... :lol:

I plan on attending Expo 2010. Even without a major universal exhibition, Shanghai is a wonderful city. As I and others have pointed out on this site the chances of the US participation are slim to none unless, god forbid, the Feds find some old tent or dome in storage and throw it up (your interpretation here) like they did in Seville. Even so, there will be plenty to see based on the pavilion plans already released by Great Britain, France, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Australia, etc.

I'd like to determine when would be the best time to attend weather- and crowd-wise. As I learned at Expo 2000, you want to avoid local and national holidays of the host country. Even with Hannover's miserable attendance, I found myself waiting in lines up to 2 hours for some exhibits as I unwittingly arrived in Hannover during an extended German holiday. With an expected 70 million visits (and I don't doubt they'll reach that number) there will be some loooooooooong lines.

I look forward to visiting Shanghai and Expo 2010!!!

Thanks, Bill, for the info.

Wow! Amazing that no one can place that photo.

The accompanying text is downright hallucinogenic.

Is anyone thinking of going to this fair?

My family and I are going, Chairman. I agree with expoboy that Shanghai is an extraordinary city to visit at any time... but with an enormous Expo being staged and my kids finally old enough to experience and appreciate it... I can't and won't miss it.

My family and I are going, Chairman. I agree with expoboy that Shanghai is an extraordinary city to visit at any time... but with an enormous Expo being staged and my kids finally old enough to experience and appreciate it... I can't and won't miss it.

As are my family. I've been boring my two kids (16 and 10) with stories of our beloved fair for so long they think I'm insane. I do believe that this will be the last best chance in my lifetime to see a fair of the magnitude we all remember. If the PRC, given its present...money no object...tragectory, cannot pull off a grand world's fair, no country can.

I would love to coordinate a visit with some of you PTUers. An I appreciate the idea to avoid national holidays of the host country; I need to discuss this with my offcemate who is chinese and handles our chinese office. (Good suggestion; she'll know, LOL.)

Holidays in the People's Republic of China:

January 1 - New Year's Day

January 2 - New Year's Day Holiday

February 2 - Chinese New Year

May 1-May 3 - Labour Day

July 1 - CPC Founding Day

August 1 - Army Day

October 1-October 3 - National Day

Hi, just saw this report on the Expo 2010 site. WHile it may not be the Futurama as we know it, it does look like the GM exhibit will be about technology in the future.

SAIC-GM signs first corporate pavilion contract

Date:22/05/2008

The two exclusive automobile partners of Shanghai World Expo signed the event's first participation contract for corporate pavilions today.

Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp Group and General Motors Corp were the first to confirm that they would build a corporate pavilion and also the first to submit a theme for the joint exhibition.

The SAIC-GM corporate pavilion will present the concept of "sustainable personal mobility" and the creation of a modern transport network that focuses on the environment and improving the quality of people's lives.

The concept is part of an emerging class of vehicles for single-person transport and is a new direction in the automobile industry.

SAIC and GM will use modern display technologies to present a vision of a 2030 city and the challenges people face during urbanization.

"GM has participated in a number of global expositions dating back to the 1933 Chicago World's Fair," said Kevin Wale, president and managing director of GM China Group, in November.

"We look forward to working with SAIC to recreate the magic of those past events and make our corporate pavilion one of the most popular and talked about at World Expo 2010 Shanghai."

Eleven of 16 company pavilions have been reserved. Ten of the corporate pavilions will be reserved for Chinese enterprises.

SAIC and GM became a joint global partner of Expo 2010 in November 2006.

Also, I will be going to Shanghai in 2010. I'm figuring toward the end of May.

I noticed that Oregon statement as well. Also, is it accurate that GM mentioned "tail fins" at the 1939 Futurama? I have a transcript of the ride narration and I have no recollection of such a statement. And it really makes no sense. So-called tail fins on automobiles did not appear until the late 1950's and were a response to the advent of the jet age and that was not at all predicted by GM in 1939.

Also, this is odd timing for GM. They just announced they are closing four plants today (one in Ontario, two in the US and one in Mexico) and may discontinue the Hummer (which is a disgraceful energy consuming waste product).