Glen Schultzberg

World's Fare Restaurant

Has anyone heard of/visited the World's Fare Restaurant And Bar in the Port Authority bus terminal in New York City? I heard the name a few years ago, and even tried to find it once. The station is HUGE though, and I had to give up my search before I could track it down (had to catch a bus home). I don't know whether the play on words of its name means its theme has anything to do with World's Fairs, or if it's simply meant to be a clever use of "fare" (as in bus fare and food fare) for a catchy name.

I'm planning on taking a bus to NYC in June for the SiP planned on the 22nd, and would love to check this place out if only I could find it (maybe it doesn't even exist anymore?). I found a pdf file of a pamphlet for the Port Authority online which lists the World's Fare restaurant as being in the South Wing (Main Concourse).

If anyone's been there (or has more knowledge about it than I do) and can tell me that it has nothing to offer to a NYWF fan then I won't waste my time looking for it this time around. Then again...if the food's good I might check it out even without a World's Fair connection. Though I certainly wouldn't expect too much from an eatery in a bus station, regardless of how big that bus station is.

Wandered all over PA in December and twice had a goodbye beverage with a NYC visitor in the bowling alley, which, sadly, has been gussied up since my last visit. (Real disappointment-that place was old school sleaze)

I had earlier scrutinized likely spots to kill time in both buildings and all levels and if I had seen any Fair-ishness would have been on it like a pup tent.

I could be wrong, of course. I don't recall seeing a World's Fare Restaurant and Bar but due to my scientific curiosity being piqued by the latter part of that name, I will perform an in-depth site visit on or about 16 Mar. My report will be on your desk.

Much appreciated xl5er. I'm guessing that if you didn't see it in your earlier jaunts it's probably not there anymore. There's not a lot to find on the web. The pdf pamphlet could have been put up quite a few years ago. I have a feeling that little stores and restaurants probably come and go with some regularity there (not unlike any big mall-type place around the country). Someone probably started a little bar/restaurant and thought World's Fare would be a cute little name...and then they lost money and went out of business.

If it is indeed gone, I might never learn if this place actually had a World's Fair theme or not. I was hoping that someone at the board might have known about it. Since no one seems to I have to figure that there probably wasn't any kind of Fair connection. Oh well. Who knows, maybe you'll discover evidence to the contrary xl5er.

World's Fare Restaurant has been gone for about two years according to the information booth guy at Port Autority. It occupied the space right next to him at the entrance to the south building and was replaced by the current business, Metro Marche restaurant.

Thank you for the detective work xl5er. I guess it was probably still there when I last looked for it four or five years ago. Oh well, I guess I missed it. I suppose that if it actually DID have any neat World's Fair theme someone here would have mentioned it a long time ago. I have to assume that it was just a clever little play on words.

Now I'm wondering if the Worlds Fare locations that Don and Maverick mentioned above are related to the one that was in the PA. Hmmm... It could certainly just be a coincidence, but I suppose it's also possible that the same folks who ran the restaurant/bar in the PA building might have moved on to greener pastures elsewhere (and retained the name) when their lease ran out (or whatever caused them to leave the bus station). Could have even been a little family run chain with three locations runing at the same time. Who knows? I suppose the owners of the still-existing (possibly) Worlds Fare restaurants might know, but...

I remember reading a news item a couple years ago about a family who had the food concession for Ellis Island, had for generations, and were about to lose it. Perhaps this is the family that also had the PA concession license for Worlds Fare. Does anyone else remember this story? There was a bit of an uproar over ousting of this family and some sort of government chicanery was indicated.

Denise