22.Mike Kraus(?)

23.Elizabeth Klug

24.Ken Thalheimer

25.MitchS

26.Magikbilly

27.Scrock30

Bumpity Bump.

So...who haven't we heard from?

Except for Liz & Ken, we haven't heard from the veteran NY crew. But I'll bet dollars to donuts they'll be there!

Better add about 4 anon. slots to the list.

I hear that some guy named Spitzer is available that day with nothing else to do.

I'm glad I didn't write to him about the NYSP. He might have turned Club Swanky's into a bordello.

Except for Liz & Ken, we haven't heard from the veteran NY crew. But I'll bet dollars to donuts they'll be there!

Better add about 4 anon. slots to the list.

Mike-you never actually said if you yourself were planning on going~ I have you on the list though anyhow.

Hi All,

First, a big Thank You to Liz K and Bill Cotter for helping me get signed back in to PTU.

I've been on board for years, but mainly as a lurker. I don't have as much time as I'd like to read and post to PTU.

But I do turn up in some of the pictures from time to time (sort of like Woody Allen's Zelig).

I'm local - 5.5 miles to Panorama of NYC. A little bit closer if I park at Hell Drivers.

Definitely Add me to list. It will be great to see a lot of the out of towners again from previous walks and the original SIP.

Hertz is a good idea for a quick bite to eat. It's quick, convenient, and inexpensive. But if the replies keep coming in at the rate I've seen, we may have an hour's wait to "tour" pavilion. But there's no lines at Ford, G.M., etc. if you want to check them out.

.....Gary

Hi! Right now I'm scheduled to be away that week, unfortunately. But if things change (and they may), I'd LOVE to be at SIP08!! And I'll let you know ASAP if it works out that I can come! GAry Holmes

I might be able to make room in my schedule for this. I can get there as I've done before by taking the commuter train from NJ to Penn Station and then the subway out to Shea from midtown.

Updated list

1.J4Sing

2.LefrakCity63

3.Specialbunny

4.Waynebretl

5.bornopeningday64

6.Glen Shulttzberg

7.Doug Seed

8.Jmcsweeney

9.Al Schmelz

10.SonnyTFox

11.eastern long island fan

12.vladimir schimkewitsch

13. Johnny At The Fair

14.Don Cavaioli

15.Bruce B

16/17. Bogframe (Mr & Mrs)

18.ToTheFair

19.Cecilia

20.Chmnofbrd

21.irishcooper

22.Mike Kraus

23.Elizabeth Klug

24.Ken Thalheimer

25.Robert Moses

26.Magikbilly

27.Scrock30

28.Gary Miller

29.Eric Paddon

30.MitchS

The group is getting rather large. If a dinner is in order for everyone in the group, we should think about making a group reservation somewhere. I doubt any restaurant could accomodate such a large group on the spot!

What does everyone think about that?

Would be nice if we could get the astro turfed roof of Terrace on the Park and have a late luncheon. That probably costs a tremendous lot though.

Is there a clubhouse at the pitch and putt course? If so, perhaps we can book there. anything to keep the entire event on the fairgrounds!

Would be nice if we could get the astro turfed roof of Terrace on the Park and have a late luncheon. That probably costs a tremendous lot though.

Is there a clubhouse at the pitch and putt course? If so, perhaps we can book there. anything to keep the entire event on the fairgrounds!

Jason,

I think anything on park grounds would be cost prohibitive. Best bet (imho) would be a reservation at the Parkside in Corona. Any other suggestions from other locals???

PS - Having been one of the local planners of the original SIP, we looked into things like that and knew that it was out of the question.

We need a secondary list of who's staying for dinner... or add (dinner) after the names on Jason's master list.

In the past, we've had 20-ish people there for the walk, but only 10 or 12 for the dinner.

This is pretty important because reservations are a MUST at the Parkside and they don't have a lot of room for non-planned overage. It IS a perfect place for a post SiP, relaxing dinner.

Have I made it clear, I'm IN for the dinner?

Here's the Parkside dinner menu:

(BTW, the Parkside is not a tee shirt/tank top kind of place.)

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/pa ... inner.html

We often stroll over to the Lemon Ice King of Corona after dinner.

And on really nice nights, some of the group has been known to mozy back to the park and gawk at the lit-up Unisphere for a while, too.

Is grilling allowed in the park? Maybe we can burn a few dogs and burgers.

Is grilling allowed in the park? Maybe we can burn a few dogs and burgers.

Surely there's something tasty running around over at the Queens Zoo that you could appropriate.... :rolleyes:

bbq_pig_md_clr.gif

We need a secondary list of who's staying for dinner... or add (dinner) after the names on Jason's master list.

In the past, we've had 20-ish people there for the walk, but only 10 or 12 for the dinner.

This is pretty important because reservations are a MUST at the Parkside and they don't have a lot of room for non-planned overage. It IS a perfect place for a post SiP, relaxing dinner.

Have I made it clear, I'm IN for the dinner? <!-- s:lol: --><!-- s:lol: -->

Here's the Parkside dinner menu:

(BTW, the Parkside is not a tee shirt/tank top kind of place.)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/park-side/menus/dinner.html">http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/pa ... inner.html</a><!-- m -->

We often stroll over to the Lemon Ice King of Corona after dinner.

And on really nice nights, some of the group has been known to mozy back to the park and gawk at the lit-up Unisphere for a while, too.

Coount me in for dinnner as well.

John

Count me in for dinner at Parkside too!

Doug Seed,

Can you clarify how to go about getting the "Flushing Meadows Park Rate" of $139? Do you have to contact Marie directly? I'm afraid the front desk may just transfer you to the national reservations line.

- Wayne

FYI, the special rate worked.

I called directly 718 651 2100, asked for reservations, and they transferred me to the local reservations desk. I asked for the "Flushing Meadows Park Rate," which came up on their computer as $139, as Doug said. This "negotiated" rate was good for my entire stay.

See you all in June!

Please add Jim Brown to the list for the June 22 event at the fairgrounds.

For lunch, I vote to eat at the Hertz Pavilion just below the Heliport. I am planning on giving a friend a tour of the park on the day before opening day, a Sunday, April 20 and I can check out if the little food place is still occupying this WF legacy building.

I will start a separate thread about a walk around on April 20th if anyone is interested.

I will contact Leonard Levitan -- whom I am in touch with -- and see if he could join us on either the June 22 tour or my smaller Pre-Opening day walk. He, as many may know, is a master of world fair attractions, visitor centers and all those things we all love. He was one of the designers of Unisphere when he worked at US Steel and it was his idea while eating peanuts at a meeting to have the continents textured like peanut shells to give them greater strength in the high winds. Perhaps I could get him to tell his story and knowledge of fairs as we tour the fairgrounds.

As for dinner, Can we find something more general that would accomodate all budgets such as a nice dinner. I checked the website for the Parkside http://www.parksiderestaurantny.com and it sure is pricy and fancy. After walikng all day and getting sweaty most people would not have the ability to shower and change into better clothes -- only people renting hotel rooms or living very near have this ability.

But here's an idea. How about (since the Parkside may not be able to accommodate too many anyway) we break into two groups for dinner. One group who want to dine fancy and another who want to go to a dinner, pizza reataraunt, or Chinese restaraunt near the Parkside and we meet back for the Lemon Ice King of Corona. (And night time back at the fair.)

Please add my RSVP for dinner if a more reasonably priced dinner plan is in place.

Please add Jim Brown to the list for the June 22 event at the fairgrounds.

For lunch, I vote to eat at the Hertz Pavilion just below the Heliport. I am planning on giving a friend a tour of the park on the day before opening day, a Sunday, April 20 and I can check out if the little food place is still occupying this WF legacy building.

I will start a separate thread about a walk around on April 20th if anyone is interested.

I will contact Leonard Levitan -- whom I am in touch with -- and see if he could join us on either the June 22 tour or my smaller Pre-Opening day walk. He, as many may know, is a master of world fair attractions, visitor centers and all those things we all love. He was one of the designers of Unisphere when he worked at US Steel and it was his idea while eating peanuts at a meeting to have the continents textured like peanut shells to give them greater strength in the high winds. Perhaps I could get him to tell his story and knowledge of fairs as we tour the fairgrounds.

As for dinner, Can we find something more general that would accomodate all budgets such as a nice dinner. I checked the website for the Parkside http://www.parksiderestaurantny.com and it sure is pricy and fancy. After walikng all day and getting sweaty most people would not have the ability to shower and change into better clothes -- only people renting hotel rooms or living very near have this ability.

But here's an idea. How about (since the Parkside may not be able to accommodate too many anyway) we break into two groups for dinner. One group who want to dine fancy and another who want to go to a dinner, pizza reataraunt, or Chinese restaraunt near the Parkside and we meet back for the Lemon Ice King of Corona. (And night time back at the fair.)

Please add my RSVP for dinner if a more reasonably priced dinner plan is in place.

Actually, I think the Parkside is one of the few places that could accomodate a large group with advanced notice. A bunch of the old gang has done this type of thing before. There is a good Colombian restaurant across from the Parkside, but they could never accomodate a very large group and don't take reservations. I think that will be the case in most of the small local establishments.

I'd like to be in the Parkside group, as I am sure that my buddy Ken Thalheimer would too!!