Sign in to follow this  
j4sing

SIP Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm sorry I missed this. Did the MINIs takes the States convoy from Mahwah to Boston Friday. Tried to make it down from Boston Sunday but traffic was nuts. Looks like you folks had a great time. Will make it next time.

I flew down from Boston this time and am I glad I did! (I usually drive)

I got $187 fare for round trip on the Delta Shuttle.

It operates out of the "Marine Air Terminal" at LaGuardia. The cool, old round building, so I liked the historical part about that.

The Delta Shuttle was only half full both ways (good for me, bad for Delta), and the Holiday Inn Shuttle came to pick me up within 5 minutes of my walking outside of the terminal. It was a great experience.... or I was very lucky. Whichever, it worked out perfectly.

So, I figured it would cost me close to a hundred bucks for gas... that leaves only $87 bucks for the value of my time and peace of mind to not have to drive 250 miles and 4 hours. Hmmm, $43.50 each way to ride for 40 minutes rather than drive for 4 hours. Easy decision.

I thought the Holiday Inn LGA was excellent.

Nice, clean room... great food at suburban prices. (shockingly excellent prices, in fact)

Under $20 both nights. With entree, coffee and Cokes and dessert on Saturday night the check was $19 and change.

On Sunday, I had more Chicken Parm, bread and spaghetti then even a fat guy (me) could eat, plus a couple sodas, and AGAIN, the bill was under $20. These were NOT prices I was expecting in NY City! Their restaurant is very nice, and looks out over a park and Shea Stadium. The private room that we had for the SiP group on Sunday night was very nice, and set up way too elegantly for this bunch of rag tag Fair goers.

I was however, very sad to see that my PTU friends hung John McSweeney out to dry with the hotel. After all the clammoring by SiP attendees for the sixteen reserved seats, and John stepping up to arrange the evening and private room for the big SiP dinner, ELEVEN people blew him off... leaving just John and four others in a huge private banquet room.... with John and the banquet staff wondering when the rest of the reservees were going to show up.

Edited by Doug Seed

Maybe get a $5 deposit from dinner "signer-uppers" next time? They could send via PayPal or whatever.

You'd be amazed how people don't want to lose their five dollars. :D

I, for one, am hanging my head in shame. If we caused any financial problems we would like to make restitution to John. Jess and I left around 3 ish after we took the group shots and she bought her DVD from Curtis and Terri. (now that we've watched it TWICE we understand why Jim blasted Rag Doll during that part of the afternoon!!!!!). The skies were starting to make grumbling noises and I had spoken to Liz Klug on the phone who was getting bombarded with thunder and lightening over in N.J. - I could hear it over the phone!! So since I don't enjoy driving back to CT over the bridge etc in high winds, rain and thunder & lightening Jess and I opted to leave. We said g'bye to everyone and actually got a hug from John. I didn't think to ask if we owed anything for reserving the room. I'll blame my insensitivity on my sunburn that was developing unbeknownst to me.

Again as I posted on Sunday a big thank you to John and Liz and everyone else who worked hard to get the reservation arranged. I apologize for any embarrassment we may have caused by our early departure.

/ Nancy

I, for one, am hanging my head in shame. If we caused any financial problems we would like to make restitution to John. Jess and I left around 3 ish after we took the group shots and she bought her DVD from Curtis and Terri. (now that we've watched it TWICE we understand why Jim blasted Rag Doll during that part of the afternoon!!!!!). The skies were starting to make grumbling noises and I had spoken to Liz Klug on the phone who was getting bombarded with thunder and lightening over in N.J. - I could hear it over the phone!! So since I don't enjoy driving back to CT over the bridge etc in high winds, rain and thunder & lightening Jess and I opted to leave. We said g'bye to everyone and actually got a hug from John. I didn't think to ask if we owed anything for reserving the room. I'll blame my insensitivity on my sunburn that was developing unbeknownst to me.

Again as I posted on Sunday a big thank you to John and Liz and everyone else who worked hard to get the reservation arranged. I apologize for any embarrassment we may have caused by our early departure.

/ Nancy

Please Nancy - John deserves all the thanks!! I just apologized to John via PM. I feel terrible - I didn't know there was a separate room reserved. I just assumed we had tables in the main restaurant.

I suppose in future we should just do an impromptu dinner and hope for the best. I am so sorry John!! And as Nancy said - if there was any cost incurred from the restaurant - I would like to do my part as well.

No money owed or lost by anyone, except probably the hotel who may have brought in a chef and waitress that wouldn't normally have been there on a Sunday night (and they probably have to pay them a four-hour minimum).

Awkward situation that night? oh yeah.

Too bad? Yeah.

Is John overwhelmed with animosity? Absolutely not.

Gonna happen again? Doubt it.

World gonna end? My guess is no.

Did the ones who attended have a great time? Yes... then to the Lemon Ice King of Corona, then back to the Unisphere for the indescribable experience of walking around it while lit at night. It is not the same at night. It really is magical at night.

We apologize too. We were just bagged by 3pm and couldn't go on any more.

Let me express my apologies too for leaving at a point when I pretty much assumed that dinner at the hotel was by the boards, or that if it was still going to happen it wouldn't be until much later in the evening forcing me to catch a train from Penn Station in the neighborhood of 10-11 PM which would have been a bit tough for my schedule. Nonetheless, I too would be glad to contribute as well toward making up for that debacle.

Because I'd brought my portable DVD player with me to play a bit of Fair soundtrack during the walking tour (though I found it wasn't necessary as Jim was already prepared in that regard), I was able to watch the documentary during the trip home, and it was magnificent! Congrats on a job well done there and it was worth the wait to finally see.

Hi guys,

I didn't put any money down so we are not out anything. I agree with Liz; if there is a next time, those who are around at the end of the day should find a place to eat.

Cheers!

John

I'm glad to hear that you didn't lose out on any money John, but I'd like to add my name to the list of people who feel sorry for not showing up. As has been stated by many already, I saw a number of people who I was pretty sure had committed to the dinner leaving at various points in the afternoon. The topic was discussed with the remaining SiPers late in the afternoon and the consensus seemed to be that the dinner was probably off. It SHOULD have occurred to me that the people staying at the hotel WOULD be able to make the dinner and were probably planning on doing so. I'm guessing that with the excitement of buying the DVDs, the confusion of trying to get the tour started back up afterward, the concern about getting home in a storm and the fragmented way the SiP ended (with people dropping out and scattering in various directions at various times) all contributed to the general feeling that the dinner had been called off.

If the possibility comes up again, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad idea to try to do it again. We probably just need a wee bit more communication within the group to make sure everyone's on the same page as far as dinner is concerned. I for one had come in from the city and had no idea how to actually get to the hotel. I know it isn't far from the park, but exactly how to get there is unknown to me. If I knew that the dinner was still on and could have tagged along with someone who knew how to get there I definitely would have stuck around. As it was I took the subway back to Manhattan to get something for dinner. And I didn't leave until about 6:00, so I probably would have been too late anyway. True, if I had made it it would have only been one more person, but I really DID intend to be there and regret not making it.

Maybe, if there's a next time, we could have a well defined time and place to get together to go to the hotel. And by the way, I think the choice of restaurant was perfect, even if I didn't get there. It's a nearby location where some SiP participants are staying (read:convenient) AND it's a bit less pricey than the Parkside (which I know had been an issue for some--myself included). I've never heard anything negative about the Parkside (and am not trying to say anything negative myself--hope I'm not coming off that way), but the ability of the Queen of Pines seemed to be flexible enough to handle a potentially large group on a Sunday evening and the menu seems to have something for everyone (and of course I'm saying this even though I didn't actually SEE the menu myself--sorry).

I too am sorry, I had every intention of going but was so beat from the heat. I was leaving the next day for the Bahamas and just got back.

I saw it. It was fantastic.

Makes a great companion piece to the Panorama.

I did as well and I believe that Doug Seed, Mike Kraus, and Rich Post also saw it. I agree with your evaluation.

10 years sure does fly!!    

I  now live in Manhattan and  am a licensed sightseeing guide with a star. (the star means you got 120 or more correct out of a difficult 150 question exam).

I do tours everywhere now, majority of them in Coney Island.  I was the host and face on television for the Coney Island Museum  from 2012-2016, but that wore out after a while and I always liked working outdoors the most.

Coney Island, it's very far removed from the Coney I first came home to 10 years ago.   We gave old Coney Island  a New Orleans Jazz funeral in  2011, and a year later Frankenstorm Sandy put everything underwater.  The Coney that rebuilt is just not the Coney I knew before.    

The World's Fair is forever though.

I've been to the park many times since the 2008 tour and was involved at makerfair 2015 at the Hall of Science, which was really something else because the setup I helped host was  Fred Kahl's  (The Great Fredini)  3d  printed model of  the original Luna Park.  The setup was right underneath the spiral stairs, and we had the Mercury capsule suspended above.   Got to see the Great Hall again for the first time in decades, blew me away seeing that blue light coming in through the glass blocks again after such a long time. 

The last time I went, I had a hallucination that the Singer Bowl was destroyed, leveled, gone, kaput.  But I'm sure I was hallucinating.  

10 years!!!!    Can you believe it?   Anyone down for a reunion?    Golf and barbeque?