Sign in to follow this  
j4sing

SIP Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ok I am cementing my travel plans now and I will be in New York for 10-14 days starting June 21. I will be spending a lot of my time at libraries and museums doing research for a book project I am working on, but I will also have plenty of recreation time and want to see if anyone wants to join me in the park on 6/22/08. I will be visiting the park more than once on this trip, with one day reserved exclusively for NYSP. (I want soil samples!!)

For 6/22 I just want to tour the park and meet some fellow PTUers. I hope many of you can come!

I will have a brand new laptop by then, so if we can get a Wi Fi signal, we can broadcast live to PTUers that are not able to attend. I know the Zoo has a wifi zone- perhaps the area outside the zoo facing GCP (where the Sinclar Bronto used to look over) can pick up the signal, if all else fails.

Can someone tell me if private vehicles,(such as my own car) are allowed to drive the entire circuit of Meridian Road? I would enjoy circling the fairgrounds several times to further appreciate the size of the place.

Also, since this is a birthday trip for me, on tuesday, June 24, I will be going to Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey to celebrate my natal anniversary. All are welcome!! Maybe we can get some pictures of PTUers riding the skyride, then Photoshop them into older picture of the same ride when it was running at the fair.

Is anyone other than myself NOT afraid to ride the Kingda Ka?

Please post your thoughts on this here, one and all! Jason

I checked to make sure and Father's Day is the weekend before, so I think that would be a viable day. Jess/Specialbunny will definitely be home from her semester abroad. It certainly depends on everyone else here, but I'm glad you started the thread.

/Nancy

A hot and heavy project has prevented me from planning vacation time, but June 22 is far enough out that the calendar isn't full yet! YES!

i believe i will be there. and yes, meridian road will allow you to circle the main fairgrounds. the crosswalk/bridges to the transportation area are off limits to private vehicles as well as the amusment area. many of the inner roads are also off limits. meridian is good to go.

Great news j4sing! I tried to organize a SIP last February (called it "SiP:SiN", "Sunday in the Park: Safety in Numbers"). It ended up going off okay, except...I wasn't able to attend!

It's now been two-and-a-half years since I've been to NYC and I'm itching to get back. I was hoping to get out there in April or May (as I have to use up my last few vacation days before June 1), but maybe I can look into the possibility of going a little later. Nothing is planned yet. I definitely want to be able to finally attend a SIP and meet some fellow PTU members.

Two more things j4sing.

First, in case I can't make it in June, I'd like to wish you a very early "Happy Birthday!".

Second, you might want to start a seperate thread about your SIP in the "Events" forum on the main page of the board (just to make sure everyone sees it).

Should be a Yes!

How about you, Mike?

I'll be planning to stay at the Holiday Inn LaGuardia which is the former Ramada Plaza La Guardia where we stayed at our last big SiP.

http://www.holidaylga.com/

I already have a call in to Marie Sclafani (718-651-2100) at the hotel. She arranged a fabulous rate for Wayne Bretl and me last time when we all met at the park and viewed the BBQ film in October of 2005. She saved us an EXTRA $100 of the AAA rate! I think we paid $119 per night in 2005.

The hotel even has some rooms that have a Unisphere view. I have my request in for that, too!

Wayne, don't make your reservation online! Make it directly with Marie or the hotel front desk. Remember last time we had to do a switcharoo to get you the lower WF special rate?

I'd also be interested in splitting a room for a night or two if anybody has interest in that. MarkAllenMaine and I did that one year.

I heard back from Marie via e-mail. She's still offering a super low (for New York City!) rate of $139.00. Her reply:

"Oh, absolutely!

I have been trying to reach Rich Post actually to work out something that we could promote at the hotel that would include a Walking Tour of the site, maybe have a meeting room set with a TV/DVD for a viewing of any documentary that may be of interest, etc.

If you talk to him, could you have him contact me? I tried to get on to the Peace through Understanding site recently, and had difficulties trying to make a new post about the subject, and the hotel being within walking distance, and offering a special rate.

We could even block out a meeting room where people brought in memorabilia, like a baseball card show…who knows?

Have you been to the site; http://WWW.HOLIDAYLGA.COM ? I have a link through there that perhaps you could mention to anyone you’re in touch with.

For now, anyone can ask for the FLUSHING MEADOWS PARK RATE – which is $139.00 plus tax, and / or I can load a WORLD’S FAIR rate again to facilitate bookings.

Keep me posted – I will make your reservations tentatively now – trying to secure 825 specifically – I will revert back with a confirmation number and as we get closer to the date, you can call in with your credit card to guarantee the room for arrival.

Let’s stay in touch! Our General Manager here is also very enthusiastic about the history of the fair grounds, so we could create something here!

My best,

Marie

Allllll Righty then!! Since I will most certainly fly into Laguardia, I should book into that hotel too!

I`ll give it a shot if I don`t have any conflicts with work-Jerry

Ohhh Boy is this Great!!flounder.jpg[/attachment:393fr1gn]

Two more things j4sing.

First, in case I can't make it in June, I'd like to wish you a very early "Happy Birthday!".

Second, you might want to start a seperate thread about your SIP in the "Events" forum on the main page of the board (just to make sure everyone sees it).

Thanks for the early Birthday greeting Glen, I usually get em belated!

Randy- can you move this thread to the "Events" forum? Glen is right, it would go better there.

Thanks! JS

Thanks Randy! This is awesome- I knew people would be interested but I didn't expect so many positive responses so soon! I just went to price plane tickets from Melbourne Florida to Laguardia. The last time I traveled to NY in Feb 1999, round trip was $115. Now it is $400. Even William Shatner couldn't give me a good deal. Assuming gas in June will be $3.50 a gallon, it is still cheaper for me to drive up than fly, and that's allowing an additional 500 miles to drive around when I get there. Flying and renting a car will cost double than driving up with my own vehicle, so drive I will. (will give me a chance to stop at the Smithsonian on the way up too and guarantee transportation to Great Adventure if nobody else wants to go)

Johnny- do you know if there is a WiFi signal in the NYSP/QMA area? It would be real cool if we can send a live broadcast to the PTUers that can't make it. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else who goes.

Perhaps I can aquire a gas powered grappling gun and cable, and go up to the VIP deck Batman style. Seriously, those stairs gave me a nightmare the other night. JS

This really seems to be evolving into quite a large event (especially with the talk of possibly having some kind of a swap meet in conjunction with the SiP!). I am tentatively planning on spending a long weekend in NYC and am trying to set it up for that weekend, so I'm very much hoping to attend and finally meet some fellow PTUers.

I want to try to see a Mets game at Shea during this final season. It looks like they're on the road that weekend, but are playing the Mariners on Monday. If I can stay on an extra day then I'd be able to join in on the SiP fun AND see a final game at Shea! Nice.

As a bonus, since the Mets are on the road for that weekend, that means we won't have to worry about cars being parked all over the auxillary lots around the park during the SiP.

I'll be there. I'm only two hours away by car. I assume there's no parking concerns with finding parking space in the park in June?