#16 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hi Jett,

I don't have any "then and now" photos, unfortunately. The Palace did burn in 1936 and what I have posted gives you a pretty good idea of what is left. Crystal Palace Park is located in the Sydenham area of south London. Here is a link to a BBC article about the Palace and what remains: http://www.bbc.co.uk...y_feature.shtml

John

There must be some photos somewhere, I don't know who did them but I still get spooked by the then and now photos
of NYWF, people walking in the snow not knowinig the fair is long gone.

#17 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

This look interesting...
http://www.crystal.d...mpaign_core.htm

FMCP needs something like this- a 'Friends of the Park' type of grassroots community, but with clout.

#18 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

Rebuild the Palace!

http://www.thisislon...gain/article.do

#19 jmcsweeny

jmcsweeny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:55 PM

Rebuild the Palace!

http://www.thisislon...gain/article.do

http://www.peacethro...?showtopic=7692

#20 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

They moved the palace! How far did they move it? That seems impossible.

#21 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

They moved the geodesic dome to the Queens Zoo in 1966; they moved the Lifesaver's Jump Tower in 1940, then moved it again in 1941 or 42.....heck, they even moved that huge Russian statue in 1937. The Russians moved their entire Pavilion in 1967. And the Atomedic Hospital in 1966, although there are doubts that it was ever actually reassembled. Those are World's Fairs. London Bridge was moved half way around the world in the 1960's.
Nothing is impossible, given time and resources.

Don't forget, the Statue of Liberty was moved too. (and there was a tie-in with the 1876 World's Fair in Philadelphia).

All of which brings us to an interesting question. What is the biggest thing in terms of cubic volume to have ever been moved and reassembled in basically the same form? Crystal Palace would be right up there, if not the outright winner.

The solid rocket boosters being reunited with the Space Shuttle in the Vehicle Assembly Building at Kennedy Space Center is an interesting nomination, but I'm not sure it counts since all three of those reusable units have to be bolted to a big honkin' fuel tank which is NOT reuseable- it burns up every time there's a launch. And I'm fairly sure the cubic volume of the entire Shuttle launch vehicle (all the bolted together pieces) would not be anywhere near the volume of Crystal Palace.

#22 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

All of which brings us to an interesting question. What is the biggest thing in terms of cubic volume to have ever been moved and reassembled in basically the same form? Crystal Palace would be right up there, if not the outright winner.

I'm thinking the Crystal Palace must be the winner for most voluminous re-assembly.
Another item for the competition (but not as voluminous, I think) would be the original Ferris wheel, which was dismantled in Chicago and rebuilt in St. Louis.

The London Bridge, by the way, was a face-stone-only job - the internals were replaced by local material -so I'm not sure how you would count it.

#23 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,726 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:17 PM

The USSR Pavilion from Expo 67 should be on the list.

#24 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

Anyone know how big the crystal palace was? Off topic, what happened to the original Ferris Wheel? One would think
it would go to Coney Island, but they built an entirely different Ferris Wheel which I rode in, but it's probably
gone now.

#25 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

Anyone know how big the crystal palace was? Off topic, what happened to the original Ferris Wheel? One would think
it would go to Coney Island, but they built an entirely different Ferris Wheel which I rode in, but it's probably
gone now.

After the St Louis Fair, it was dismantled and scrapped. There is still speculation about what happened to the axle (for example, but not very seriously, is it buried in the park?). It was the biggest single piece of steel that ever had been forged, at the time of the Chicago 1893 Fair.

#26 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:37 AM

After the St Louis Fair, it was dismantled and scrapped. There is still speculation about what happened to the axle (for example, but not very seriously, is it buried in the park?). It was the biggest single piece of steel that ever had been forged, at the time of the Chicago 1893 Fair.

Well that's sad really, if I could figure out exactly where it was in St. Louis, I've been in the park, there are some books
I saw and I'm not sure if they were on the St. Louis or Chicago Fairs or not, but they had one on Lost New York, all the
building that were scrapped, but I thought it was too sad. To me, it looked weird for them to be scrapping the Waldorf-
Astoria for the Empire State Building.

#27 jmcsweeny

jmcsweeny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

I have uploaded all of my Crystal Palace Park photos to Flickr: Crystal Palace Park

#28 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

Great stuff, John! Thanks for uploading all of it!

Meanwhile, there are those who believe that part of the original Chicago 1893 Ferris Wheel wound up being used for a bridge:

"Sections of this Ferris wheel were used to construct a bridge across the Kankakee River, about 45 miles (72 km) south of Chicago, just north of Tefft, Indiana." Joe McKennon (1972) A Pictorial History of the American Carnival, page 39.

Attached File  Dunns_Bridge.jpg   109.56KB   79 downloads

Dunn's Bridge - Wikipedia Listing

Dunn's Bridge: Legacy or Legend?

Dunn's Bridge - Restoration Award

#29 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

What I have read indicates that when the Crystal Palace was moved and rededicated in 1854, it was increased in size and it served a wide variety of purposes for the next sixty or seventy years (including the Imperial War Museum) until it burned in 1936. Portions that did not burn were demolished in 1941 because it was feared the Luftwaffe could use the enormous towers as a means of locating nearby important structures. Life magazine ran photographs of that 1936 fire and I wonder if those photographs are included in the image links found on Google.

The Columbian Ferris Wheel (1893) took several journeys. It was moved from the South Side of Chicago after the Columbian closed to the North side where it operated for several years but incurred financial losses. It was moved to St. Louis for the 1904 LPE.

The huge Knoxville World's Fair ferris wheel was moved to Darien Lake resort and amusement park in upstate NY (in the Finger Lakes) where it operates today.

The Statue of Liberty was exhibited in various pieces after it was erected in Paris, dismantled and shipped to the US. The arm and torch were a popular attraction at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia and then were moved to Madison Square in NYC where the arm and torch remained as an attraction and a way to raise money to build the pedestal on Liberty Island. The novel, Time and Again by Jack Finney has a wonderful account of the main character visiting the arm and torch in Madison Square in 1880 or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users