28 replies to this topic

#1 jmcsweeny

jmcsweeny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

Here are some of the photos I took when I visited Crystal Palace Park in London in June of 2007. There isn't too much of the Palace left. However, what is left gives one an inkling of the size and grandeur of the Palace.

A staircase leading up to the Palace -

Posted Image

A Sphinx-like statue -

Posted Image

Looking down a Palace staircase -

Posted Image

Radio/TV antenna at what would have been the north end of the Palace -

Posted Image

Statue of a "Middle-Eastern" man -

Posted Image

Headless statue of woman -

Posted Image

I am not sure what this is; the base of a fountain perhaps?

Posted Image

Staircase with twin sphinxes -

Posted Image

Sphinx close-up -

Posted Image

Looking east over the park from the grounds of the Palace. The light towers in the distance are part of the sports complex in the Park -

Posted Image

Another view from the grounds of the Palace - notice that fairly sizable trees now stand where the Palace was -

Posted Image

A young girl kicks a ball in front of an archaeological dig -

Posted Image

Another staircase to the grounds of the Palace

Posted Image

The prehistoric animal park created when the Palace moved to Sydenham Hill (now Crystal Palace) Park in 1854 is in much better shape than the Palace itself; it was refurbished in the 1990s. The first picture is of a sign telling the story of the creators of the prehistoric animal park: Richard Owen and Benjamin Waterhouse-Hawkins

Posted Image

Here are the dinosaurs and other large reptiles in the park as conceived in 1854 and at the present time -

Posted Image

Megalosaurus as a quadruped (currently thought to have been bipedal) -

Posted Image

Iguanodon

Posted Image

The aquatic reptiles in the park -

Posted Image

Plesiosaurus and Ichthyosaurus -

Posted Image

Labyrinthodon -

Posted Image

(Note: The photos of the early mammals in the park have been relocated to a later post in this thread due to a new limitation of 20 pictures per post.)

Crystal Palace Park is a bit out of the way but worth a visit for World's Fair fans if you are visiting London. Catch the Victoria underground line to its southern terminus at the Brixton station and then take the #3 bus to its southern terminus at the Park. Alternatively you can catch a train from Central London. If you are lucky the amateur-run museum will be open and you can chat with some of the enthusiastic, friendly and knowledgeable Palace fans.

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

Very educational. I'd like to see it some day, but thanks much for the pictures until then.

#3 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

Thanks John!

#4 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

Fantastic pix, John! I had no idea there was even THAT much left of the Crystal Palace. How great to still see the majestic staircase and statuary that once flanked such a breakthrough building! And the condition of the dinosaurs is really impressive. Yet the whole place has that intangibly "haunted" feeling in your photographs as well-- really rings those FMCP bells for me.

Really appreciate you sharing them.

#5 jmcsweeny

jmcsweeny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the praise guys. It took me awhile to decide to edit and post them. We should all thank Marc for adding the "The Great Exhibition" section, along with the others, to PTU. This action was the incentive I needed to get moving. BTW, I have added a couple more animal pics above.

...really rings those FMCP bells for me.

Trey, your comparison with FMCP is apt. The Park is basically a pleasant place to spend a Sunday afternoon for many people although there is a small but dedicated cadre of folks who keep the memory of the Crystal Palace alive. Also similar to FMCP is that the section around the actual site of the Crystal Palace looks neglected. In addition, a modern sports complex has been built in the Park and is probably what most residents think of when the words "Crystal Palace" are spoken or read. Fortunately, the prehistoric animal park, which was unaffected by the 1936 fire, has been kept up and remains popular, particularly with families with small children. It's great that the local authorities committed the resources to refurbish and maintain this Palace legacy.

Cheers!

#6 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:27 AM

Is the archeological dig looking for dinosaur bones, or for Great Exposition landfill?

#7 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

Here's a cross-expo connection for you- the Crystal Palace featured many copies of famous works of art, particularly architectural features and sculpture.
Here is its copy of Michelangelo's Pieta.

Posted Image

#8 jmcsweeny

jmcsweeny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

Nice find, Randy. Thanks.

#9 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

Would be great to see some then and now pix of all those Crystal Palace sculptures.

#10 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

Just got an e-mail from a friend from the UK Expo Study Group. He says the monsters (I presume he means the dinosaurs) in Crystal Palace park were recently refurbished at a cost in the millions of pounds. He lives just a ten minute drive from Crystal Palace. He said on Sundays there are guided tours of the grounds.

#11 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

Definitely on my list of things to do during my next London jaunt.

#12 jmcsweeny

jmcsweeny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

Early mammals in the park -

Posted Image

Megaloceros (Irish Elk) -

Posted Image

Megatherium (Giant Sloth) -

Posted Image

#13 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:30 AM

These are totally amazing! I had no idea there was anything left or where the exibition took place, I think I heard it
burned down and did no further research on it.

#14 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

Do you have then and now photos, I would love to see t hem. I never knew there was this much left, exactly where is it?
I thought the building burned down.

#15 jmcsweeny

jmcsweeny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

Do you have then and now photos, I would love to see t hem. I never knew there was this much left, exactly where is it?
I thought the building burned down.

Hi Jett,

I don't have any "then and now" photos, unfortunately. The Palace did burn in 1936 and what I have posted gives you a pretty good idea of what is left. Crystal Palace Park is located in the Sydenham area of south London. Here is a link to a BBC article about the Palace and what remains: http://www.bbc.co.uk...y_feature.shtml

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users