New Crystal Palace Plans

#2 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

Interesting article, John. Wonder if it's true the "majority of the public" doesn't want it?

#3 RocketThrower

RocketThrower

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

There is a building in Dallas that is vey similar to this. Not sure how "Identical" it is...but friends I know refer to it as the Worlds Fair building or the Crystal Palace building. It is not too far across the interstate from the former Zale's home office is that was used for many exterior and interior sets for the Logan's Run motion picture.

When I dig out an image, I'll post it.

#4 RocketThrower

RocketThrower

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

Here we are! Way back in 2002...my how time goes by!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Comparing this to the original pictured on the website linked in the 1st post here, you can see it is not an exact duplicate, but how you can def. see the influence!

#5 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

There is a building in Dallas that is vey similar to this. Not sure how "Identical" it is...but friends I know refer to it as the Worlds Fair building or the Crystal Palace building.

Ah yes....the Dallas Palace.

Reminds me of Danny Kaye:
Griselda: Listen. I have put a pellet of poison in one of the vessels.
Hawkins: Which one?
Griselda: The one with the figure of a pestle.
Hawkins: The vessel with the pestle?
Griselda: Yes. But you don't want the vessel with the pestle, you want the chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: I-I don't want the vessel with the pestle, I want the chalice from the what?
Jean: The chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: Hm?
Griselda: It's a little crystal chalice with a figure of a palace.
Hawkins: Th-the chalice from the palace have the pellet with the poison?
Griselda: No, the pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle.
Hawkins: Oh, oh, the pestle with the vessel.
Jean: The vessel with the pestle.
Hawkins: What about the palace from the chalice?
Griselda: Not the palace from the chalice! The chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: Where's the pellet with the poison?
Griselda: In the vessel with the pestle!
Jean: Don't you see? The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle.
Griselda: The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!
Jean: It's so easy, I can say it!
Hawkins: Well then you fight him!
Griselda: Listen carefully. The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.
Hawkins: Where the pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.
Jean: Good man!
Witch: Just remember that.
Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: They broke the chalice from the palace?
Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
Hawkins: A flagon...?
Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
Griselda: Right.
Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
Griselda: No!!! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Griselda: Just remember that.

#6 RocketThrower

RocketThrower

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

Here is a website containing great images and comparisons to other "Crystal Palaces" including the now infamous DALLAS PALACE!

http://www.ephemeroi.com/unsleeping/arkv/003087.html

#7 RocketThrower

RocketThrower

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

Infomart
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is on an American building. For an electronic text service owned by Thompson Newspapers, see Infomart
Infomart

Location 1950 Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, Texas, United States
Constructed 1985
Stories 7
Architect Martin Growald
Structural Engineers unknown
Cost $20 million (USD)
The Infomart is one of the largest buildings in Dallas, Texas (USA), located at 1950 Stemmons Freeway in the Market Center neighborhood between Oak Lawn and Interstate 35E (Texas) near downtown. The 7-floor, 1.5 million square foot building is one of the most distinctive in the city. It was modeled after The Crystal Palace, a huge iron and glass building, originally erected in Hyde Park in 19th century Britain to house the Great Exhibition of 1851.

History
The building was constructed in 1985 and sold in 1999 and again in 2006. The building is currently owned by DCI Holdings.

#8 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

It would be nice if it was rebuilt on the site again. In Second Life, The virtual Grid that Reaction Grid (where the 1939 NYWF is being reconstructed) spun off from, a chap I know rebuilt the Crystal Palace in full scale to house his wares. I'll post some pictures the next time I visit, its very nice and detailed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users