Sign in to follow this  
Mary Ellen

New Feature Additions

Bill:

I love the new feature things. This group really comes through with differnt perspectives and photos. The diversity is refreshing.

I notice that not many people take photos of the NYC building. I wonder if it is because it was a 1939 leftover & the style is out of step with the 1960's theme. The last time I was at the park I tried to get in to the skating rink. It was closed & I have never seen it.

Does anyone know if it is still in operation? Maybe it must now be entered through the Queens Museum. That would be odd.

Yes, Mary Ellen, visitor contributions of photos are much appreciated. Marc is working on a surprise for Peace Through Understanding that should make it easier for people to contribute and will allow them to see the contributions on-line faster.

In regard to the new pics at nywf64.com, Bruce sent along a picture, after I posted the current batch, of the City Building. I'll try to get that out to the site also ASAP.

What do you think of the pictures of the Aquacade ruins? I was amazed that when the city tore the building down in '96, they never bothered to remove the foundation! Now tell me, what was the bigger eyesore? A boarded up building, or that slab of concrete with the green brackish water where the pool used to be????

You know, I keep wondering -- where is the city's pride? They can't even finish the job they started, or what??? And they've left it in this state for over 4 years now? Does anyone know the reason this was done? Or am I just seeing these pictures wrong?? frown.gif

Bill

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elizabeth Klug:

I heard from someone at the QMA that the Ice Rink is permanently closed and that the museum may take over that space.<HR></blockquote>

Correct-o-mundo!

My source says NO new space for the WF stuff, though.

Does this mean that the Rink will be no more? How long has the Rink acutally been in that building. The Rink sign on the wall to the left of the main entrance looks pretty old.

Is there any historic significance to the Rink. Anyone have photos?

The ice-skating rink was not part of the original design for the NYC Pavilion. It was added after the 39' fair. I skated there sometime in the early sixties.

I can recall going to the NYC building while the Fair was "on," but I have lille memory of anything other than the ride around the model of the City -- and much of THAT may be from later, post-Fair visits.

From what I can tell, the ice rink was in operation there both before and after the World's Fair, but was it part of the exhibit DURING the Fair's run in 1964-65? If not, what replaced the rink for those two years?

-- Doug Peterson --

I can recall going to the NYC building while the Fair was "on," but I have little memory of anything other than the ride around the model of the City -- and much of THAT may be from later, post-Fair visits.

From what I can tell, the ice rink was in operation there both before and after the World's Fair, but was it part of the exhibit DURING the Fair's run in 1964-65? If not, what replaced the rink for those two years?

-- Doug Peterson --

Bruce:

Do you remember when we could both ice and roller skate at the NYC Building?

As you know, this was the place to go on a Friday night...

Maybe YOU were the ONE that made me fall by tripping me up on the ice!