Sign in to follow this  
bobster1985

Construction images

This is so intriguing about the GM basement/building/tunnel.

Now...about that e-mail, Being it was an e-mail, why couldn't you copy and paste it in your post as a quote.

The body of an e-mail can be copy-and-pasted as text directly into a PTU message.

If there any embedded pictures in the text though, you'll have to either upload those as a PTU attachment or upload them to other server space and link to it using the img BBCode syntax.

This is so intriguing about the GM basement/building/tunnel.

Now...about that e-mail, Being it was an e-mail, why couldn't you copy and paste it in your post as a quote.

For some reason it wont copy.So I will scan it and then put to my pic and then post that should work. I should have it on by later this eve.If there is a way to get the blueprints we might be able to see 1 if there was a basement or 2 if it was just a walkway between the building and what looks to be a storage area. It def is were the ac unit is located.You can see by the finished building there are no ac units on top of the building.

The body of an e-mail can be copy-and-pasted as text directly into a PTU message.

If there any embedded pictures in the text though, you'll have to either upload those as a PTU attachment or upload them to other server space and link to it using the img BBCode syntax.

Thanks Randy

I will scan email and put into my pic and that should do it .

Thanks again

Tony

Ok finally the email that I received from GM.I had asked a few questions about the designers and about that small building. This is the answer I received.They are fowarding the photo I sent to someone else that maybe able to shed some light on the mystery building. ----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 10:39 AM

Hi Tony,

Thanks again for your interest. Jim forwarded your further request to me. According to an article in General Motors Engineering Journal (Volume 11, Number 2, Second Quarter 1964), "the Industrial Design Studios of General Motors Styling Staff, comprised of industrial designers, mechanical, electrical, and architectural engineers, as well as modelers, was assigned the responsibility for the overall design and coordination of the GM Pavilion, the Futurama show and ride, and product displays and exhibits at the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair." (p.2) Unfortunately, we have no record of who the lead designer/architect was on this project.

I have reviewed our records and can not confirm that GM left behind (to be buried) any items at the World's Fair site. Furthermore, I have no information as to what purpose the small black building you marked on your image was used for.

Kindly,

Christo

--

GM Media Archive

These are some more photos of the construction of the GM pavilion.Enjoy.151316 - consideration.jpg[/attachment:1ibdnzqo]

Thanks for the photos - enjoy them a lot

What's that building just this side of the GM 'flying saucer'?

Could that be the refrigeration exhibit where they parked the Bison concept big rig?

Hi Randy

I just received the information from GM today on the mystery building at the GM pavilion.QUOTE------Anthony From the photos you sent us we belive this was the utility room.The utility room was adjacent to the main building.In that building housed as follows (2) Two gas fired boilers of 500hp each-(2) Two absorption machines (refridgeration units) of 450 tons each,two cooling towers of compatible proportions(76) heating-cooling coils and 18 fans) Service--via diffusers and ceiling grilles to 18 individually-controlled air zones.Capacity---Six air changes per hr.within each zone uses25 per cent fresh air and exhausts 25 per cent of recirculated air every 10 min.As far as an underground walkway from the utility room to the main building and a basement at the pavilion we have no information at this time.

I hope this information I received was helpful to everyone. I will do more searching

reg. the basement with poss GM items that were buried there.

Thanks for those details, Tony.

Hi Bill

Your welcome. I just started to go over all the paper work sent to me on the Pavilion all I can tell you this is very intresting.

I know I stated in my last post that at this time no info on a basement.Well going over this paper work I think I may have found something .I will post the information later or sometime sunday.Again glad you enjoyed the information.

Yes There was a basement at the GM pavilion .And it was 29 ft in height.

Why so big ? because 90% of the basement was needed for the track for the Futurama

ride.Attached you can see one of the 32 documents GM sent me reg. the Gm Pavilion.

If you take the 73 ft and minus the 44 ft grade level to roof line you get 29 ft. Some people said thats to deep of a basement it would put it below the water table I guess

not!So is there really Gm goodies buried in the basement futurama.JPG[/attachment:8bbflqjr]

USTA National Tennis Center soil boring logs show a bearing layer at 75"-80" below grade and the water table at 16'-6" below grade. Sounds like GM was right at the bearing layer. I wonder if the demolition contract specifies foundation or just structure above grade?

Looks like Bill's 9/27/06 post answers that: viewtopic.php?p=45062#p45062

The WF Guidebook says demolition requires only going 3 feet below grade, then backfilling and planting grass.

The GM basement walls are still there, intact, and were built with the double purpose of providing an underground chamber for depositing all the demolition rubble. That's the reason GM was able to dismantle the building so rapidly, as they didn't have to cart much away. In fact, even though GM was one of the largest buildings at the fair, it was the first one gone, almost setting a speed record for its disappearance act.

So in essence, the GM building is really all still there!

just imagine playing soccer at that location and a sinkhole opens up, revealing the long lost Futurama!

just imagine playing soccer at that location and a sinkhole opens up, revealing the long lost Futurama!

Sounds like a great story line for a sci-fi movie!!

Sounds like a great story line for a sci-fi movie!!

Definitely! I'd call it "The only way up is down". While exploring the dark underground ruins of the GM Futurama, our hero spots some bright light coming up from a small hole in the basement's floor. He starts digging, and the hole crumbles away, bathing the area with bright sunlight. Our hero pops his head down through the hole, and discovers that his head is sticking up out of the ground in the middle of the Firestone pavilion, opening day 1939. He pulls himself up out of the hole into this upside down world and explores the fair, having a great time and interacting with the 1939 people. The day ends and he decides it's time to return to the present, but discovers that the Firestone pavilion is closed for the day. The guy finds a place to hide and get some sleep, then wakes up to discover that it is opening day all over again, and when he finds the people he met the day before, they do not remember him at all.They think he is crazy when he tells them he talked to them at the Fair yesterday, since the fair wasn't open yet and those people were still on their way from Wisconsin. He returns to Firestone, only to discover that the hole is gone! Now he starts freaking out and decides to leave the fairgrounds. As soon as tries to leave the Corona Gate, he is menaced by Elephant sized fire breathing pit bulls that nobody else notices. No way out, trapped in opening day 1939 for all eternity!

Finally, he realizes that the hole was gone because he went back to it at a different time of the day than when he arrived, and the hole itself has a very short window of remaining open each day. He returns at the proper time and jumps back into the hole, returning to the underground ruins of the 1964 Futurama. The light from the hole disappears, and he is home. He pulls himself out of the sinkhole and onto the soccer field, only to be attacked by someone's pit bull that got off of it's leash. The man is taken away in an ambulance, laughing his head off all the way to Belleview. The end.

I should have wrote for Alfred Hitchcock magazine back in the 70's!

Definitely! I'd call it "The only way up is down". While exploring the dark underground ruins of the GM Futurama, our hero spots some bright light coming up from a small hole in the basement's floor. He starts digging, and the hole crumbles away, bathing the area with bright sunlight. Our hero pops his head down through the hole, and discovers that his head is sticking up out of the ground in the middle of the Firestone pavilion, opening day 1939. He pulls himself up out of the hole into this upside down world and explores the fair, having a great time and interacting with the 1939 people. The day ends and he decides it's time to return to the present, but discovers that the Firestone pavilion is closed for the day. The guy finds a place to hide and get some sleep, then wakes up to discover that it is opening day all over again, and when he finds the people he met the day before, they do not remember him at all.They think he is crazy when he tells them he talked to them at the Fair yesterday, since the fair wasn't open yet and those people were still on their way from Wisconsin. He returns to Firestone, only to discover that the hole is gone! Now he starts freaking out and decides to leave the fairgrounds. As soon as tries to leave the Corona Gate, he is menaced by Elephant sized fire breathing pit bulls that nobody else notices. No way out, trapped in opening day 1939 for all eternity!

Finally, he realizes that the hole was gone because he went back to it at a different time of the day than when he arrived, and the hole itself has a very short window of remaining open each day. He returns at the proper time and jumps back into the hole, returning to the underground ruins of the 1964 Futurama. The light from the hole disappears, and he is home. He pulls himself out of the sinkhole and onto the soccer field, only to be attacked by someone's pit bull that got off of it's leash. The man is taken away in an ambulance, laughing his head off all the way to Belleview. The end.

I should have wrote for Alfred Hitchcock magazine back in the 70's!

Great story.Its a go from me im there lets go to production

j4sing - you must have nightmares at night! What an active imagination you have.

Let's rent some ground penetrating radar and see what's really down there. I suspect this location may have more relics than all the rest of the fairgrounds combined.

j4sing - you must have nightmares at night! What an active imagination you have.

Let's rent some ground penetrating radar and see what's really down there. I suspect this location may have more relics than all the rest of the fairgrounds combined.

Thanks Irv! I do have my moments!

A couple seismic charges and some ultrasound equipment might give us a fairly accurate picture of everything that is down there, without having to dig. I was originally thinking about the seismic charge idea when we were talking about the degree of pile rot over at NYSP, then I re-thought it and concluded it might not be a good idea to set off underground seismic charges near those TOT columns. We would find out the degree of the pile rot just fine, but the aftermath could be disasterous!

Thanks Irv! I do have my moments! <!-- s:lol: --><!-- s:lol: -->

A couple seismic charges and some ultrasound equipment might give us a fairly accurate picture of everything that is down there, without having to dig. I was originally thinking about the seismic charge idea when we were talking about the degree of pile rot over at NYSP, then I re-thought it and concluded it might not be a good idea to set off underground seismic charges near those TOT columns. We would find out the degree of the pile rot just fine, but the aftermath could be disasterous!

Or I could just bring my old Boy Scout collapsible shovel with me to the SIP in June. First dibs on any portable relics!