Sign in to follow this  
boojagirl

I found this in my back yard last summer

Yes, that is what the Mines Building looked like at the Columbian Exposition in 1893 in Chicago.

Series_1_Design_7_Mines_Building.jpg

since the other side has a different picture, is that the back of the same piece of metal, or are they two seperate pieces?

It looks kind of like a clasp on the edge, so I'm thinking a small purse- if there was at one time some fabric that served to hold the two side pieces together to serve as a small 'bag' for articles like coins. Is there any evidence along the edge of threads from fabric that is no longer there?

Or maybe the pictures on the side are NOT on metal, but on leather that has been painted a gold color?

yes the lid is 2 seperate pieces that fit together, the whole thing is metal, there was no cloth or leather or anything attatched to it. I took the 2 pieces of the top appart and accidently dropped the part with the mines and mining building and it had a high clangy sound kind of like tin or aluminum.

I wonder what relation the picture on the second piece has to anything about the World's Fair - definitely not a depiction of Chicago with those mountains in the background.