#1 WorldsFairEnthusiast

WorldsFairEnthusiast

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hi All,

Is it true that there was a Moon rock displayed at the U.S. Pacilion at Expo '70?

WorldsFairEnthusiast

#2 gary h

gary h

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

Yes, and there were long, long lines to view it - and to get into the building! Luckily, I managed a pass to the pavilion and bypassed most of the lines. Saw a moon rock display for a second time at Aichi 2005 (can't remember which pavilion!) I have a photo somewhere of the 1970 US Pav. moon rock. If I find it, I'll try to put it up.

#3 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

Here's a view of the display cabinet at Expo 70:

Posted Image

and a close-up view of the rock itself:

Posted Image

#4 WorldsFairEnthusiast

WorldsFairEnthusiast

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

Bill thanks for the great views (as always)! Was the rock collected by Apollo 11 or Apollo 12?

WorldsFairEnthusiast

#5 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

Think of the expenditures of time, money and effort that went in to bringing that little rock to us. Easily the most precious mineral on earth!

#6 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:06 PM

Glad you liked the photos, happy to oblige. Sorry, I don't know which mission collected that rock.

#7 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,332 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

The Expo 70 moon rock came back on the Apollo 11 mission. After as much as a five hour wait in line, many visitors were reported to be disappointed. Apparently because it didn't glow martian green or something.

The U.S. Pavilion also showed off the actual Apollo 8 command module.

Here is an interesting university study on "long-term memory", centering on how accurately Japanese visitors to Expo 70 remember what they saw today. The moon rock is discussed on page 10.
http://www.cust.educ.ubc.ca/faculty/fac ... derson.pdf

The authors compare memories of Expo 70 to studies recording memory accuracy for Expo 67, Expo 86 and Expo 88. An interesting topic. It explores the reasons why some memories are more vivid than others, and why they are stronger for some people, but not all people.

#8 gary h

gary h

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

For the life of me, I cannot find the moon rock pic (Thanks to Bill for one that is much clearer than mine would be), but I did find a larger view pic of the spacecraft at the pavilion. Enjoy.[attachment=0:uq5ai2jj]expo70usa2.jpg[/attachment:uq5ai2jj]

#9 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

Since folks seem interested in the subject today, here are some more shots of the NASA exhibit inside the US Pavilion:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 WorldsFairEnthusiast

WorldsFairEnthusiast

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

Guys,

Here's something interesting that I found on the web (http://www.spacepatches.nl/apollo/palta8.html):

"In 1970 the LTA-8 descent stage, together with the ascent stage of the unflown LM-2, spent several months at the Expo '70 in Osaka, Japan. Upon return the LTA-8 ascent and descent stages were reunited and put on display at the JSC visitor center where they can still be seen today."

So I guess the LEM in this picture is LTA-8. Another legacy nailed down!

WorldsFairEnthusiast

#11 kstingle

kstingle

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

My father, Howard Stingle, who worked for the United States Information Agency, had the privilege of carrying the moon rock from the US to Japan, on his lap on the airplane, anonymously wrapped. He loved getting to do that - he always liked things that made him feel important.

#12 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,705 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

What a great - and very unique - story!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users