7 replies to this topic

#1 bobster1985

bobster1985

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

These panoramas seem to have been taken from the same spot, giving an excellent perspective on the construction of the Panama-Pacific Expo.

The dates on the photos, top to bottom:

February 20, 1914;

April 18, 1914;

May 1, 1914;

August 1914;

Three months before opening.

All photos from the Library of Congress.

#2 RocketThrower

RocketThrower

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

INCREDIBLE! I love this type of post...seeing the different stages of Construction is always HUGE entertainment for me.

Thanks so much for posting this...I will study these pics for soje time.

#3 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

Amazing photographs! It is most interesting to watch the Palace of Fine Arts take shape and to see how the exposition really was constructed on earthquake landfill within sight so many homes so close to what is now Fisherman's Wharf. I have walked that area and tried to imagine it a century ago, but all traces are gone except for the Palace of Fine Arts. These are fascinating images and I thank you for sharing them. I love this stuff!!

#4 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

Me too, bobster... great stuff. Like Jim, I've walked the Marina District many times trying to "find" any traces of my second favorite fair. But the bewitching Palace is all there is... and believe me, it's more than enough to evoke the PPIE's splendor.

Actually, I did once spend the night in a charming bed and breakfast in the area called THE EDWARD INN & SUITES. Here's what it looks like from the front of the building on Scott Street today:

[attachment=1:2xot43qn]KINGEDWARD.jpg[/attachment:2xot43qn]

And here's what it looked like from the rear of the building just after it was built to house PPIE visitors... only a block away from the Tower of Jewels and the fair's main entrance!

[attachment=0:2xot43qn]HotelEdward.jpg[/attachment:2xot43qn]

They have another great panoramic image of the fair hanging behind their check-in counter with a little arrow pointing down to the building that says YOU ARE HERE!

#5 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

Many PPIE demonstrations took place on the Presidio parade grounds. In fact most PPIE maps included the Presidio as part of the mapped Fairgrounds. And much of the Presidio is still there today.

#6 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:48 AM

True, Randy-- although there were no major Fair structures there that I've ever read or heard about. There was a PPIE automobile race track that was later converted to a grass air strip.

One of the Presidio military buildings used to have a wonderful scale model of the fairgrounds though. Don't know if it's still there. A sizeable 15 acre chunk of the Presidio is also now home to George Lucas' LucasFilm, LucasArts, and Industrial Light and Magic complex.

#7 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:40 AM

The "then and now" photographs of the Hotel Edward are incredible. I find those types of images to be haunting. I am overwhelmed when I think of what once existed in that space and what is there today. Thank you so much for posting them.

#8 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:40 AM

My pleasure, Jim! San Francisco's definitely one of those "haunting" places with a whole lot of wonderful ghosts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users