Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Doing The Pan

This is an excellent site devoted to the 1901 Pan American Exposition in Buffalo. I have had the chance to correspond with the creator of the site and her work reflects a great deal of dedication and devotion to this fair, the the city of Buffalo and to the events surrounding the assassination of President McKinley.

http://panam1901.bfn.org/

The Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society has an excellent website with some links to other Pan American sites and with links to their own excellent collection of Pan American related materials. In fact, their research center was opened in 2001 in a building constructed for the Pan and which was used as a trolly car repair and service station near the exposition grounds. The exhibits were nothing less than remarkable and the entrance was transformed to look like the Dreamland attraction in the 1901 amusement section of the Pan. All of this remains and walking into the building and through the exhibits is like walking back in time--to 1901 and the beautiful Pan American Exposition.

I made an error. The attraction was Dreamland, not Dream of Venus (that was 1939). In any event, if you go to google images and type in Dreamland Pan American Exposition, the first image that appears (top left) is of the amusement area. In the far distance of that scene is a large building with an enormous three dimensional image of a beautiful woman's face. That was the entrance to Dreamland. (The web address is far too long for me to successfully reproduce here.) This was recreated for the centennial of the Pan and serves as the entrance to the BECHS research center and the treasury of many of the 1901 exposition artifacts. Anyway, that photograph will give you an idea of what Dreamland looked like. I will keep looking to see if I can find a photograph of the current recreation of Dreamland.

PS: If you go to the Pan American website listed above and take the "tour," the photographs are astounding especially the interior shots of "A Trip To The Moon," which was a very popular attraction in the amusement area. Also, the night photographs of the fair's illumination are spectacular. By all accounts, the lighting was breathtaking. Also, this is the very first exposition to be captured on motion picture film. I have a copy of a film from the BECHS which was made by Thomas Edison. He tours the Pan in a gondola through the canals which circled the grounds. It is, of course, silent but the images of the pavilions, flags waving in the breeze, visitors walking through the landscaped grounds, action scenes from the amusement area, the waterfall at the Electric Tower--all of these are wonderful. There is even footage of a mock battle between natives and soldiers in the 12,000 seat Pan American Stadium and film footage of the crowds outside of the Temple of Music just as news of McKinley's wounding was spread through the fairgrounds. And the shots of the lights coming up on all of the buildings is still impressive today.

http://panam1901.org/

Saturday, September 14 marks the 112th anniversary of the death of President McKinley who had been shot by Leon Czolgosz on the afternoon of September 6, while the President was greeting exposition visitors in the ornate Temple of Music. The above link takes one to an excellent and intelligent site devoted to the Pan American Exposition and the assassination.

https://foursquare.com

This link should show the precise spot where MKinley was standing while greeting Pan Am visitors inside the now long vanished Temple of Music. It also shows the site of the Milburn house on Delaware Avenue where the President died.

Thank you, worldsfairent, for a working link. It does what I had hoped my link might do. I have stood at that monument several times and it is supposed to mark the precise location of the Temple of Music. One time, as I stood there, the owner of a house on the right side of the Fordham Drive (the plaque, itself, would be facing in the direction of this property) walked over and told me that his house is the actual location of the Temple of Music and Pan Am maps would confirm this. The monument was placed where it is today simply because the median is city property and allows for a plaque.

The weapon, the handerchief used by Czolgosz to wrap his hand to hid the gun,and some of the surgical tools are on display at the Wilcox Mansion on Delaware Avenue (across the street and down several blocks from where the Milburn house once existed). It is known as the Theodore Roosevelt Inauguration National Historic Site. It is a charming and well operated museum. TR was actually hiking on Mount Marcy in the Adirondacks when a runner was sent to him deep in the High Peaks to inform him of the need to immediately return to Buffalo. He and his wife, Edith, raced down steep trails to the Tahawus Club and then road on a series of buckboards, in the darkness, toward the North Creek railroad station (a trip of about seven hours) in order to board a train south and westward toward Buffalo. One of those buckboards is on display at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake.