lcwalter

Individuals who visited the Fair

Hi Everyone -

We are considering adding 2D avatars to the Come Back to the Fair Transportation Area environment as a temporary feature until we have the funds to work on 3D avatars. So with that I was thinking about adding a few well known faces in the crowd.

I am aware of a number of folks - President Johnson, Martin Luther King, Johnny Carson, Scott Carpenter, Steve Lawrence and Edie Gorme, Princess Grace, Jacqueline Kennedy and children.

Some of these would work quite well to provide links to other topics as well.

Question - is anyone aware if Marlo Thomas visited the Fair? My thoughts are it is possible as the pilot for That Girl was shot in 1965 and the establishing shots with Marlo Thomas in NYC were in the pilot and the weather in that pilot appears as if it were summer or early fall.

Many thanks,

Lori

I would be surprised if Marlo didn't visit- but if you're looking for celebrities whose visit was widely publicized (albeit in some cases later)- you can't beat Lucille Ball, Goldie Hahn, Billy Graham (heck, he had his own pavilion. And he probably didn't go around saying heck.

What about Walt Disney? Al Hirt and Louie Armstrong. Fred McMurray.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions for Major Major faces who are instantly recognizable.

Hi Randy

I did not know that Lucy attended - hmmmmm that might be an interesting avenue.

Any names of instantly recognizable folks are welcome.

Many thanks!

They had a parade for Lucy generating very large crowds (her visit was announced beforehand with the Fair proclaiming it 'Lucy Day') and of course she put her prints in the concrete in front of the Hollywood Pavilion.

The list would not be complete unless you addded CAROL BAKER, ART LINKLETTER, LEONARD BERNSTEIN, HARVEY LEMBECK, FRANKIE AVALON, EDDIE ALBERT, BUDDY HACKETT, JONATHAN WINTERS, ANNETTE FUNICELLO, TIPPI HEDRIN, HARRY TRUMAN, JOHN F. KENNEDY, ROBERT MOSES, and BRUCE MENTONE.

Ray Dashner

And we can't forget Joan Crawford, who was a frequent autograph-signing-for-kids guest at the wire hanger pavilion---er, make that the Pepsi-Cola Pavilion. Her husband was a vice-president of Pepsico.

I remember one day at the Fair when a N.Y.dejay icon Murray Kaufman beter known as Murray the K.was there.As a crowd gathered around the Unisphere awaiting his arrival,someone(I won`t mention my own name)yelled out."There`s Murray the K,pointing toward some poor unsuspecting guy who almost got stampeeed.The real Murray the K showed up in an open limo shortly after-Jerry

Tim Conway and Joe Flynn appeared "in character" at the Florida Pavilion, dressed in their McHale's Navy TV show uniforms.

Of course Lloyd Bridges had his named stamped all over the Sea Hunt exhibit in the Travel & Transportation Pavilion, and made appearances there periodically.

Chief Tariri the reformed jungle headhunter got flown in for a personal appearance at the Two Thousand Tribes Pavilion, and also got to preside at the ceremonial 'throw the light switch' photo op at the Tower of Light that evening.

I think somebody said he also appeared on What's My Line during that World's Fair trip, but I never heard whether the panelists correctly guessed his former occupation as headhunter.

Well .... Um .... we could have Elsie roaming around the Transportation Area

Alex just finished the Travel and Transportation Pavilion - so Lloyd Bridges would be great - I'll just have to locate a decent color photo. I always enjoyed Sea Hunt - great theme.

Alex just finished the Travel and Transportation Pavilion - so Lloyd Bridges would be great - I'll just have to locate a decent color photo. I always enjoyed Sea Hunt - great theme.

Maybe he's the guy sitting in between the pretty girls.... <!-- s:lol: --><!-- s:lol: -->

Apr65-1-23_Sea_Hunt.jpg

Shirley MacLaine and all the VIPs who were present for the world premiere of "What A Way To Go!" which was held at the BLC would also fall into this category.

Lori,

I know that astronauts (besides Scott Carpenter) Elliott See (pre-season), Gordon Cooper, Neil Armstrong, and maybe John Glenn (I can't verify if he actually did visit the fair) visited the U.S. Space Park. Other well known NASA officials that visited the Space Park were Dr. Whernher Von Braun, Dr. Kurt Debus, Chief NASA Public Affairs Officer O.B. Lloyed and the voice of Project Mercury John "Shorty" Powers. Hope this helps you!

WorldsFairEnthusiast

Many thanks - Gordon Cooper works quite well for us. We held a 40th anniversary celebration for Gordo at the Cape back in 2003 and I have many many photos of him when conducting research for the event. That is great.

I had no ldea about "What a Way To Go!" - that provides a nice choice of folks too...

As always - many thanks!

Grinned wide when I saw Harvey Lembeck mentioned in that pantheon! His place in American popular culture goes back well beyond my introduction to him as Eric Von Zipper. Him, I like.

He's one of those classic faces/voices people should associate with the name.

Not that these were at the Fair, but I'd bet here at PTU, if I were to add...

Arnold Stang

Marvin Kaplan

gas station

... you guys could do the pop culture math in your heads.

"I am my ideal," indeed. Thanks for mentioning him. (Wonder if Gene Roddenberry got the paralyzing Vulcan neck pinch idea from Lembeck's, "The finger" ?)

Grinned wide when I saw Harvey Lembeck mentioned in that pantheon! His place in American popular culture goes back well beyond my introduction to him as Eric Von Zipper. Him, I like.

He's one of those classic faces/voices people should associate with the name.

Not that these were at the Fair, but I'd bet here at PTU, if I were to add...

Arnold Stang

Marvin Kaplan

gas station

... you guys could do the pop culture math in your heads.

"I am my ideal," indeed. Thanks for mentioning him. (Wonder if Gene Roddenberry got the paralyzing Vulcan neck pinch idea from Lembeck's, "The finger" ?)

That's my favorite scene in the movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSq5y_NU9N8

Irishcooper,

Thanks so much for that link! Haven't seen it in years! (Recently emailed the soundtrack snippet of Jim Backus drinking in the plane to a commercial airline pilot bud.)

Isn't it amazing that someone took the time and trouble to isolate that sequence and post it to YouTube?

Instead of stammering anecdotes to each other, we have the original article at our fingertips and can just say, "Here. Look," and convey the idea much better.

Looked forward to the scene where Lee Meredith dances on the desk when some cable station broadcast The Producers about 15 years ago. Instead of Ulla cavorting in a bikini, I saw a black screen and a minute of silence before the film resumed.

Some projectionist must have excised that for his private library!

Films/TV provide universally known shorthand to describe our experience; a common well of metaphor and simile we all dip into when our own words or imaginations fail. Try to explain an encounter with a rental car agent and we end up asking, "Remember the one when Jerry asked the clerk for the reservation...?" and rely on Seinfeld to relate the anecdote for us. "Well, it was EXACTLY like that!"

It strikes me as so funny and quintessentially human that running around out there in the world are grown men and women for whom, "Jonathan Winters destroying the gas station," exists in totality as a separate and clearly prominent 'file' stored in their heads. Hell, I'm one of them.

"Rosebud!"

I adore It's Mad Mad Mad Mad World. The garage scene is fantastic and the banter between Terry-Thomas and Ethel Merman is priceless.