9 replies to this topic

#1 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Okay, I know it's not the same Paris Expo (this great one occurred 19 years after the first) but a friend just shared this link to a wonderful compilation of rare Thomas Edison shorts taken at the second great Paris Expo that have been edited together with some nice music-- so I'm posting it here until we have an official 1900 UE section to move it to.

Enjoy!

http://www.liveleak....=f7e_1201209712

#2 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

I'm not sure when this was, I never heard of two Paris exibitions. I have a coin dated 1887 souvenir it says top of the
Eiffel Tower, of course I don't know if it was at the top or not, I know it's very small up there, but I treausre my coin.

#3 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

JettRink...

There were actually MANY great Paris Expositions... each one of which got progressively larger and grander in scale, leaving many existing architectural remnants and relics in their wake to this day.

The first was the French Industrial Exposition of 1844 (which though perhaps not as impressive, still pre-dated London's Crystal Palace Exhibition of 1851 by seven years).

FIE 1844

Then came the Exposition Universelle of 1855.

EU 1855

Then came 1867.

EU 1867

Next was 1878.

EU 1878

Followed by 1889 (for which the Eiffel Tower was built).

EU 1889

Then another in 1900.

EU 1900

In 1925, they hosted the Exposition Internationale des Arts Decoratifs et Industriels Modernes (which many people consider the birthplace of the Art Deco movement).

Art Deco Expo 1925

There was the Paris Colonial Exposition of 1931.

PCE 1931

And finally, the Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne of 1937 (which in many ways, like the 1933 Century of Progress Expo in Chicago, was like a dress rehearsal for the great 1939-40 NYWF).

Paris Expo 1937

#4 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

WEll I only knew about the Eiffel Tower and the beautiful souvenir coin I have though it is probably not worth much. I
always wondered about the buildings across the river, I believe I saw the same building in the old Edison film though
I do not know what they were or are used for. We were only over there to find the tunnel where Princess Diana
crashed.

#5 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,370 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

There are topics on PTU for the 1900 Exposition (including the Edison film, the 'moving sidewalks' that could carry you for miles through the Fairgrounds, and the larger-than-Unisphere-sized globe that had an exterior tram chugging uphill around the outside of it leading to the interior exhibits with an intriguing walk-through solar planetarium show.
There is also a topic on the Diana crash tunnel and how the building of the tunnel related to the 1937 Paris World's Fair.

#6 Larry L

Larry L

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

There was a terrific movie made about this fair - "So Long At The Fair" (1950)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042980/

LL, Operator

#7 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

I can't imagine what the Alma tunnel had to do with a fair except get you there if it was close to the Eiffel Tower. They
have put up more barriers so you can't see as much into the tunnels as you probably could before the crash. I still find
it odd the bodyguard survived and he wasn't wearing a seat belt, but then maybe that's just a rumor. It's funny how my
sometimes working ESP, after hearing about Diana immedidately thought someone else young and famous would die
in a crash, didn't know what kind of crash.

#8 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:02 AM

Attached File  eiffmed.jpg   165.18KB   101 downloads

I have no idea if this worked or not.

#9 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,370 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

The bridge that the tunnel passes under was one of the major entrances to the big Expo in 1937. But the bridge itself was rebuilt and "lowered" in about 1971, which forced them to dig the underpass deeper and make it a "tunnel".

#10 JettRinkJr.

JettRinkJr.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:52 AM

The bridge that the tunnel passes under was one of the major entrances to the big Expo in 1937. But the bridge itself was rebuilt and "lowered" in about 1971, which forced them to dig the underpass deeper and make it a "tunnel".

Gee, you sure know a lot about everything. Once you get back home y ou find out what you should have known but I
didn't have the medallion then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users