Sign in to follow this  
bobster1985

Whatever happened?

This is what Curtis posted on PTU on December 28th---

The horror show continues....after clearing ALL the rights (including Disney) we are waiting for one change in the box art before we can send it to the duplicator. We had really hoped to have it ready for Christmas but, as you can see that didn't happen. The second DVD, "The Cutting Room Floor" is finished, everything is done. Just one tiny fix. It's pretty laughable. It's not easy being the runt of the litter.

As always, we appreciate......oh you know all that by now.

Happy Holidays.

Curtis

"Good things come to those who wait"..quoting my grandmother's sage advice

Imagine all the wonderful posts and discussions when it finally does make it thru production and into our hands. I'd love to have this waiting for Jess when she returns from her semester abroad. Her 21st bday is June 3. If all else fails, re-read above quote

/Nancy

Exactly, Nancy! A few of us have seen it several times, and that somewhat mitigates the anxiousness, but it'll be worth the wait. "You'll laugh, you'll cry...."

I'm looking forward to digging into the "floor" disk, especially.

Starting to bite my nails again....

"We finally got my sister to stop biting her nails"

"How?"

"We bought her shoes"

must still be some trouble getting rights to the segment on the procrastinator's club

After following the saga of the attempts to finish up and release this DVD for some time, it's obvious that it will come out...when it comes out. I feel for the poor folks at BBQ, who have put so much time and effort into this project and are still unable to reap the accolages they will surely get when it's finally released. My fingers have been crossed so long they're numb .

That said...it would be nice if we could see it go into production before the SiP in June, so we could have some "live" discussions about it--in addition to all that will surely be written here at PTU.

Maybe if it is not yet released, we can get a private showing at the museum?

There was a big screening at QTIP a few years back. I still have the very cool ticket from it. I also attended a few screenings in few different locations in the QMA. And another screening at the HoS. But the grandest was the first screening at Flushing Town Hall, where they served some 'fair food' to the masses attending. It was standing room only at that screening, with people turned away at the door!

That screening was the BEST DAY OF OUR LIFE without a doubt, no exceptions. Getting this thing out is just hilarious at this point. The film was all ready to go to duplication. All rights had been cleared, the art work was done (we are VERY proud of the art work), a small distribution deal was in place, EVERYTHING WAS DONE, IT WAS ALL SYSTEMS GO......and then the phone rang. The phone rang on the day that it was to be shipped off. The voice on the other end says to us "I'm sorry that I've taken so long to get back to you, but things have be really hectic here and I just got a chance to call you (after 6 months) and I wanted to go over a couple of issues from our lawyers". "Yes", we say. "Well we want to make sure you have the FBI copyright warning on both the film and the 2nd "Cutting Room Floor" DVD or we can't sign off on the release". Oh man, you've got to be kidding. Is this a joke we think? The encoding had been pushed to the limit already and now we have to add another 15 to 30 seconds. OK, we'll make sure that it gets done. OK, they say. So now, we've encoded, re-encoded and now we're happy so now it has to go on the box, which is a giant pain in the you know what because all the mechanicals will have to be re-done. That's where we are. Who knows. Our next film is going to be a film about getting this film out. A LAUGH A MINUTE by BBQ Productions. You guys, we love you all. We'll get it out, we all love this Fair and want to show our film to you guys more than anything. WE PROMISE IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. GEE, THAT SOUNDS AWFUL FAMILIAR. If nothing else we'll come to everybody's house one by one and act out the film in pantomine.

Curtis and Terri

Unimime?

post-419-1207249889_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering how many people have been made to pay those fines and serve those jail terms described in the FBI disclaimer! I've never heard of even ONE!

I introduced my audio tapes of The Fair early in 2000. Thousands of reproductions have since been in circulation in USA, France, Germany, Thailand, New Zealand, Canada, UK, Netherlands and Samoa. There is no FBI disclaimer. There is a statement of ownership of the copyright of the entity itself. In all these years, no challenge has been made to the fair use of the material, simply because no one can claim that these recordings were made less than twenty five years ago. This last statement was provided to me in a letter from the Library of Congress.

WHAT, ME WORRY??

Ray D.

No need to worry, Ray-

your Segway has a speed governor that is set higher than the FBI's Segway.

But don't listen to the old Broadway axiom of 'break a leg!' :P

Boy, if we could only get a private showing at the SiP!!!!!!!!!

I tend to agree with Ray and I doubt that at the level we're dealing at there's not much chance that the FBI is going to break our door down. But we've tried hard to do things right and we interviewed lots of folks at little companies like Walt Disney and TBTA and to get footage they automatically became aware of who we were and what we were doing. We're doing all of this with our own money and we've paid for the footage so we feel it's best to do things by the rules. If we got sued it would be oh so bad, oh so bad. Our lawyer, who has negotiated all of these contracts feels we should go ahead and do things by the book and that's what we're going to do. We just can't afford any problems after going this far for this long a time and spending so much money that we don't have a prayer of getting back.