Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mystery Parking

46 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I understand that "the Goodyear blimp" flew over the Fair frequently, and that it was "moored" at a nearby small airport. I don't remember which airport.

I've also seen in Guidebooks or somewhere, that remote Fair parking was available adjacent to Flushing Airport.

Is that where these two August '64 photos were shot? Does anybody recognize any buildings in the background or any particular landmarks?

...not just one Goodyear blimp, but two....

Mystery_Parking1a.jpg

same parking lot- could that plane be landing at nearby LaGuardia, or where?

Mystery_Parking2a.jpg

closeup:- could this be Shea Stadium? or is it something else?

Mystery_Parking2b.jpg

Posted · Report post

The blimp base was indeed at the now defunct Flushing Airport, as was the remote parking lot. That would be shea in the last picture. That whole airport is just about buried under marsh and weeds, all but lost back to Mother Nature.

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys!

Posted · Report post

HI All,

Is this the same airport where you could land in the water for the Fair in 1939?

MB

Posted · Report post

I concur with Bill & Hoodlock... these photos were taken at the Flushing Airport Parking lot.

post-21-1235675335_thumb.jpg

In this Ops Manual Drawing, you can even see the section numbers that are shown on the lightpoles in your photos...

post-11-1235773295_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Kevin

Posted · Report post

Its kind of amazing that such prime real estate would be allowed to go back to nature.... not that its necessarily a bad thing considering it is wetlands, but sad nonetheless to see a facility that people obviously put their lives into just rot away.

Posted · Report post

HI All,

Is this the same airport where you could land in the water for the Fair in 1939?

MB

Flushing Airport is landlocked (although the marsh tides remind us that there is a hydraulic connection!).

LaGuardia, on the other hand, sticks out into Long Island Sound and would be perfectly situated for a seaplane port. In fact I think somewhere I heard that they DID have a seaplane terminal there before the War.

Just looking at a map, it would make sense that they picked out the location for what became "LaGuardia" for that very reason. In the 30's it appeared that international air travel was destined to be the provenance of seaplanes, such as Pan Am's "China Clippers".

The 1939-40 San Francisco World's Fair built their own Pan Am seaplane terminal right on the Fairgrounds on Treasure Island.

In this Ops Manual Drawing, you can even see the section numbers that are shown on the lightpoles in your photos...

Thanks for that confirmation!

Those numbers kind of had me stumped as to what I was looking at, because the number placards are not in standard NYWF colors, and furthermore it looks like the people are walking toward transit buses (presumably for transport to Gate 6 or Gate 7) which are definitely NOT the Greyhound World's Fair buses. So I wasn't totally sure this was even a World's Fair parking lot I was looking at. The slide sequence didn't help either- there are three sets of August 64 slides with no handwritten notations (I was able to get the slides into three distinct groups by comparisons of the date print alignment).

One set has NYC pictures (including the Automat picture), and the last two pictures in that set are these parking lot pictures. The other two sets are all World's Fair pictures.

So I'm guessing this set came "first", ending with their arrival at the Flushing Airport parking lot, then the other two sets follow showing their World's Fair experience.

Posted · Report post

My brother Colin tells me that the NY Times printing facility is now on part of the former airport site. It is actually in College Park, Queens. Google earth shows the runway to be underwater.

Posted · Report post

Mary Ellen I do believe you meant to say College Point (not Park).

College Point was named for an unnamed college under construction in 1830 or so.

The town became known under Conrad Poppenhusen and industrialist.

<a href="http://www.poppenhuseninstitute.org/" target="_blank">http://www.poppenhuseninstitute.org/</a>

Mr. Poppe (as we use to call him) is responsible for the first free kindergarten in America.

College Point was known for its breweries and day trip resorts, it was during the Prohibition days that community shifted towards airplane parts manufacturing.

My mother tended bar in The Club Safari at College Point.

College Point was populated mostly by German-Americans and was known by other names before it became College Point. Some of the former names are Lawrence's Neck, Tew's Neck and Strattonsport.

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

Yes, they did have a sea-plane terminal in operation for the 1939/40 Fair - I have a photograph of a Clipper by Stanley Preston "parked" in the water at the North Beach Airport (or just S/SE of it - opposite the Fair parking lots) - which was dedicated on October 15th, 1939 and became LaGuardia in 1947 when Port Authority took it over. Apparently, three planes flew overhead on Oct. 15, 1939 and spelled out "Name it LaGuardia". It opened officially for business in Dec. 2nd, 1939, although the first Yankee Clipper landed there in June of 1939.

Interestingly, I have discovered I have a photograph taken inside the Aviation Building of a model of this Marine Terminal, which was built in 1937-1939 and dedicated in March of 1940. I never knew what it was, but is is a grand deco structure with a fabulous mural. Thanks for the lead! Interiors of the Aviation Building are really hard to come by.

MB

Posted · Report post

Yes, Hoodlock you are correct. It is College Point. Are there any breweries left?

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

I was looking at the Marine Terminal at LaGuardia - it really looks just like the Glass Building without the tower and with the back of the Temple of Religion glued onto the front. Very Fair looking building - and I think I will go check it out to see this incredible mural I am reading about that was covered and then uncovered due to "leftist leanings" - you'd think they would have hung it straight in the first place

MB

Posted · Report post

Its kind of amazing that such prime real estate would be allowed to go back to nature.... not that its necessarily a bad thing considering it is wetlands, but sad nonetheless to see a facility that people obviously put their lives into just rot away.

Yeah, but if they're going to let it be reclaimed by nature as a wetlands, they could have at least moved the old fuel trucks out of there first...

post-894-1236131085_thumb.jpg

Kevin

Posted · Report post

I think I will go check it out to see this incredible mural I am reading about that was covered and then uncovered due to "leftist leanings" - you'd think they would have hung it straight in the first place

Well, there's the left way of hanging things, and then there's the right way.

What's really funny is that the Smithsonian says of this photo that the mural at North Beach Airport (being worked on in June 1940) was a Federal W.P.A. Art project. We always knew that FDR was a leftist!

AAA_fedeartp14_4004.jpg

Yeah, but if they're going to let it be reclaimed by nature as a wetlands, they could have at least moved the old fuel trucks out of there first...

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust,

Fuel to the ducks, to lubricate the rust. [or go around quacking AFLAC!]

Posted · Report post

Ok, being an ATP rated pilot, my AFD (Airport Facilities Directory) lists the following, current information on FLU (Flushing Airport):. Please note it does state the airport is "indefinitely closed" so I won't plan on landing my Boeing 737-400 or Mooney 231 aircrafts on the runway unless I have the aircraft equipped with skis:

Flushing (FLU)

NEW YORK/FLUSHING/, NY

Publicly Owned, Open to the Public

Airfield Type: Airport

2 miles NW of city

40-46-45.365N, 073-49-58.484W

Mag Var: 13W

Tower?: No

Manager Name: Robert Balder

Manager Phone: 212-312-3865

Communication Freqs:

CTAF: 122.900

Airport Data:

Runways: 18/36

Elevation: 5 ft.

Traffic Pattern Alt.: 800 ft. AGL

Approaches:

Attendance Schedule: UNATNDD

Landing Fees: No

Lights:

NOTAMs Facility: ISP NOTAM-D Service Available

International Operations: No Data Reported - Unknown

Segmented Circle: No

Beacon: None

Airport Services:

Fuel:

Bottled Oxygen: NONE

Bulk Oxygen: NONE

Airframe Repair: None

Powerplant Repair: None

Runway Information:

Runway 18/36

Dimensions: 2800 ft. x 60

Surface: (ASPH-G) Asphalt - Good Condition

Runway Edge Lights: None

Runway 18 Runway 36

Latitude: N N

Longitude: W W

Traffic Pattern: Left Right

Runway Heading:

Markings: None

Elevation: ft. ft.

Displaced Threshold: 355 ft. 800 ft.

Visual Slope Indicator:

Approach Lights:

Runway End ID Lights: No No

Displaced Threshold: 355 ft. 800 ft.

Touchdown Point Lights: No No

Runway Obstructions: CRANE (100 ft.) BLDG (150 ft.)

Airport Operational Statistics:

Aircraft Based At Airport Annual Aircraft Operations

Single Engine Airplanes: 0 Transient General Aviation 0

Multi Engine Airplanes: 0 Local General Aviation 0

Jets: 0 Air Taxi 0

Helicopters: 0 Commercial: 0

Gliders: 0 Military 0

Military: 0

Ultralight: 0 Average Per Day (all): 0

TOTAL Aircraft: 0 TOTAL Annual Operations: 0

Remarks:

STANDING WATER ON PORTIONS OF RY 18/36 DURING WET PERIODS.

APT CLSD INDEF; REDEVELOPMENT IN PROG.

CTLG OBSTN HEIGHTS VARY UP TO +100'.

APCH SLOPE 14:1 TO DSPLCD THR.

APCH SLOPE 14:1 TO DSPLCD THR.

+25' CLEARANCE OVER ROAD 25' FROM THR.

+20' DEBRIS 190' FROM THR 100' R.

BUILT PRIOR TO 1959.

Posted · Report post

"Surface: (ASPH-G) Asphalt - Good Condition"

Ha! I would get my money back on that guide. I wonder who answers if you call the number listed for the airport manager. Maybe he shares an office with the Maytag repair guy.

Posted · Report post

Landing Fees: No

Well, at least in case of an emergency forced landing, they don't charge anything!

Posted · Report post

Manager Name: Robert Balder

Manager Phone: 212-312-3865

I don't know about New York, but if this was Massachusetts, this guy would be somebody's brother-in-law and be making $150,000 a year as manager of an airport that's under a swamp.

It's the Massachusetts way.

Posted · Report post

Charles is the purpose of that information for emergency landings for pilots? Or do they just keep the information archived.

Posted · Report post

Charles is the purpose of that information for emergency landings for pilots? Or do they just keep the information archived.

Mary Ellen:

The information in the AFD is utilized just in case you need to land somewhere. I would prefere a road or highway since the pavement is underwater and broken up.

Posted · Report post

If you had an in-flight emergency necessitating setting your bird down in this area- it would seem that if you had enough time to "look in your book" then you are probably at a high enough altitude that you could just glide into nearby LaGuardia. But if you were at a low enough altitude that you didn't have time to look in the book (and assuming you didn't know anything about the area), that Flushing Airport runway might look tempting, viewed from the air, unless there is an obvious vehicle parked on it, or a ditch dug across it, or something. In that case- lookout expressway, here I come! (or as a last resort, ditch in the water of Long Island Sound).

That leads me to wonder- have any plane owners been forced to attempt a landing in FMCP?

Right across the street from the building I work in there's a golf course, and it's directly on 'final approach' to the short runway at Long Beach Airport.

In the 15 or so years that I've worked in the building, twice there have been cases where a small plane conked out on final approach and the pilot put 'er down right there on the golf course. One of them dug about a 75 yard long trench right into the green. (and didn't even replace his divot! )

Seeing as how FMCP is sort of near final approach to LaGuardia, it would seem mighty tempting in cases of a total flame-out on final approach. I'll bet if there was more general aviation at LaGuardia, it would happen more often.

Posted · Report post

Another pilot's perspective here. Guides like this are generally used in planning a trip, not for use during an inflight emergency. These days, the GPS has a great button on it - "Where is the nearest airport?????" I hope Flushing Airport is not on that database.

Knowing the NYC roads, I doubt there is ever enough space to land a plane on one of them.

I'm always keeping an eye out for golf courses, school fields, etc. just in case I need a spot to put down. Happily that has never been needed, but they drum that into you. Once the engine stops you have little time to start looking around, especially if you're trying for a restart at the same time - while also preparing for a hard landing. They do test you on that while getting your license. You'll be happily flying along when the instructor will pull back the power and start seeing how you handle it.

Posted · Report post

I would think that Flushing Airport is well inside the "layer cake" of LGA controlled/restricted airspace, and you wouldn't have a lot of GA aircraft near there anyway.

What say you, Bill?