Which fair would you most like to see added to PTU?

Which fair would you most like to see added to PTU?   32 votes

1. 1.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello everyone, please vote!

Posted · Report post

Geez, a tough choice! Based on PTU discussions over the last few years I'd say the most interest is in Montreal's Expo 67, and the least interest (of the four you listed) is probably Japan's Expo 70.

But I'll be obstinate and pick 1933 (and '34), simply because there's so much interesting information waiting to be mined.....

Posted · Report post

Some new choices. Lets see what sticks.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

What about 1939/40 GGIE? There is a lot in common with the two '39 Fairs, besides the Aquacade swimmers. But of what is listed 1933/34 is the choice for me.

Eric

Posted · Report post

Any chance of adding 1962's Century 21 to the mix Marc?

Posted · Report post

Say, haven't some of thses already been adeed to the Index Page? What exaclty are we voting for then?

MB

Posted · Report post

Because it's fun

Posted · Report post

Any chance of adding 1962's Century 21 to the mix Marc?

It wouldn't be because of the monorail would it?

Posted · Report post

Once Marc added some of the new 'zones', I did some searches and moved some previous topics that were entire devoted to those 'other World's Fairs'. I spent about an hour searching for Chicago stuff, and just a little time on Expo 67, etc. Maybe Bill can look for Expo 67 topics to move.

There were a couple of topics that rather than move, they contained valuable info about one of the NYWF Fairs, so I COPIED the topic, and once the new copy was sitting in a new place like Chicago, stripped out some of the extraneous postings that didn't have anything to do with Chicago or contribute to any relationship with Chicago as a subject. But in those cases, I also left a copy of the ENTIRE original topic (including Chicago discussion) in its original location.

Example: A Beatles/Shea Stadium topic that ended up discussing at great length the 1933/34 Chicago World's Fair. Boy was THAT a case of topic drift!

Posted · Report post

I agree with MB and AMF on the GGIE and Expo 21 fronts... but of those listed, will side with Randy on 33.

Honestly, though-- because PTU has become such an invaluable resource of info on so MANY fairs and expos-- I'd love to see an ALL'S FAIR category added where any and all fairs and expos since 1851's Crystal Palace could be posted about. I know I'm only one of lots of PTU members who, though focused on the NYWF, is endlessly fascinated with other great expositions.

While PEACE THROUGH UNDERSTANDING was the official theme of the 64-65 NYWF-- I honestly thing it captures the essence of every other expo before and since. So I'd love to see PTU ultimately evolve into the go-to site for all things World's Fair.

-Trey

P.S. - Nice job cleaning house, Randy. I know we've also had some great discussions and pix posted on: 35 Great Lakes Expo, 35 & 36 Texas Centennial Expo, and 37 Paris, to name a few.

Posted · Report post

It wouldn't be because of the monorail would it?

Hey Marc,

Not really, although they did have the first Alweg Monorail in the USA.

Really its because it was one of the few world's fairs held in the United States even though it was smaller than most, and because much of the grounds still survive, are thriving and are in constant community use today.

With that said, I suppose placeholders for the Spokane, WA, New Orleans, LA and Knoxville, TN world's fair-labled events should also be considered. I do prefer Trey's suggestion to group these together under an "Other World's Fairs" category instead of each in a separate section.

If they breakout over the years they could always obtain their own focus. If you also include Vancouver, BC, Canada, then you might have a group for US based world's fairs versus non-US ones; or North America Expos versus Eurpoean Expos versus Asian Expos; or whatever makes logical sense.

One question, is it possible with this new BB to cross-post into two topics if there is information that pertains to two different fairs?

If you need any more resources to make this happen just let us know.

Thanks for the many ideas, the opportunity for discussion, and your continuing support Marc!

Randy.

Posted · Report post

One question, is it possible with this new BB to cross-post into two topics if there is information that pertains to two different fairs?

I'm not sure that is a capability that any registered PTU member can do, but if you send a request to cross-post a topic to one of the administrators, we can do it. The only thing is, I don't think any further responses to that topic would get automatically cross-posted to both locations. I may be wrong about that- I'm not sure.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I don't think cross-posting would work very gracefully.

I would love to see all the fairs covered and our first expansion beyond 64/65 was such a success but I think picking and launching a few at a time will keep the board from looking too empty.

I think some redesign might be needed to keep the site from looking cluttered but rest assured nothing will be taken away.

I know the changes during the last twelve months have been a bit bumpy but I think we're past that. The server kinks appear to have been worked out and I think we can look at expansion. The addition of 39/40 brought many new faces to the site, I think a few more fairs might bring more people to the party.

Marc

Posted · Report post

I did a little research and here is the answer to the cross-posting question- you need to start with a little administrator help.

A moderator can "move" a topic from one forum to another, leaving behind a "shadow" topic. Any replies / views of the original topic or its shadows will be shared, mainly because a shadow is simply a pointer to the original topic.

So if an administrator, in setting up the move to accomodate a cross-post request, puts a check mark in the "shadow" option box, further replies will be visible in both areas (it's still really a single topic, not copied).

Posted · Report post

If you're only into The Fair, the one and only fair, The 1964/1965 New York World's Fair, here's what you can do...

Bookmark this link! (You can do this with any topic area by clicking the heading at the top of the topic.)

http://peacethroughunderstanding.com/vi ... .php?f=104

That will take you to just 64/65. As for seeing links to recent posts, today's posts and all that I am going to have to work on it so you can click and only see that area.

Posted · Report post

What, no plans for a forum on the Lewis & Clark Centennial Exposition of 1905?

C'mon Marc, don't be forgetting your Oregon roots now!

Just kidding!

Cheers,

Kevin

Posted · Report post

You jest, Kevin-- but even if it only contains links to other sites (which I'd be happy to research, Marc) I think a 1905 Lewis & Clark subdivision of an ALL FAIRS section would not only help embrace the broad and amazing history of World's Fairs and Expositions which inspired both the NYWF's and beyond-- but also might ultimately help position PTU as the go-to Internet resource for WF and Expo info.

Posted · Report post

Wow! A lot of changes at the site. Thank you Marc for all the work you've obviously been putting into the board.

I never voted on the poll. My first interest in World's Fairs was the 1939-40 NYWF. At first that was the ONLY one I was interested in. Over time I developed an appreciation for 1964-65. While I love them both now, if I HAD to pick a number one it would probably be 1964-65. Why am I telling you this? Well I have to say that while those two Fairs remain my favorites, I do indeed have an interest in all World's Fairs. 1933-34 Chicago was a huge deal and pretty contemporary to 1939-40 so that would be a good choice. Then again Seattle and Montreal were both held within a couple years of 1964-65--and with the 1964-65 NYWF being the original topic of this board, either seemed like a perfect choice. Then again, the GGIE was sort of like a sister Fair to the 1939-40 NYWF. And plenty of good things can be said of other the Fairs as well.

I think you made a smart choice by NOT making a choice, and instead adding areas for many individual Fairs. It's true that many Fairs are mentioned in threads all over PTU, and if you wanted to discuss one of them at length (Expo67 for instance) you pretty much were relegated to "Just Chat" before. While the new choices are almost daunting right now, it should make things a lot easier for people wanting to discuss these other Fairs. Not to mention that, in the true spirit of "Peace Through Understanding", more fans of other Fairs may find their way to PTU and add their voices, insights and opinions to those already here!

Sorry for being a bit long-winded, but I just wanted to express my feelings on the new changes.

Posted · Report post

in the true spirit of "Peace Through Understanding", more fans of other Fairs may find their way to PTU and add their voices, insights and opinions to those already here

Ditto, Glen. I share your excitement and couldn't agree more!

Posted · Report post

Good idea.

Posted · Report post

I've always lumped those together as a single fair even though it changed names between seasons. San Diego was also two years 1915 & 1916, as well as 1935 & 1936. Cleveland was 1936 & 1937.

Chicago 1933-34, New York 1939-40, San Francisco 1939-40 and New York 1964-65 are all in a different category since they were designed as 2-year Fairs from the start, didn't really down-size much if any, and didn't change names.

Montreal is a bit different situation since 1968 was so down-sized from 1967, and "Man and His World" went on for so many years after that it kind of diminished its own significance.

In that way of thinking, Montreal is similar to London 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912 & 1914.... although some might argue that 1910 might have eclipsed the original in 1908- certainly not down-sized.

Posted · Report post

How about adding the 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exposition?