Photo

Which fair would you most like to see added to PTU?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Which fair would you most like to see added to PTU? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

1. 1933 (10 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

2. 1958 (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

3. 1967 (16 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. 1970 (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hello everyone, please vote!

#2 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,349 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

Geez, a tough choice! Based on PTU discussions over the last few years I'd say the most interest is in Montreal's Expo 67, and the least interest (of the four you listed) is probably Japan's Expo 70.
But I'll be obstinate and pick 1933 (and '34), simply because there's so much interesting information waiting to be mined.....

#3 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

Some new choices. Lets see what sticks.

#4 magikbilly

magikbilly

Mock the midnight hour once more...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

Hi,

What about 1939/40 GGIE? There is a lot in common with the two '39 Fairs, besides the Aquacade swimmers. But of what is listed 1933/34 is the choice for me.

Eric

#5 AMF Monorail

AMF Monorail

Back to the Future by Monorail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:18 AM

Any chance of adding 1962's Century 21 to the mix Marc?

#6 magikbilly

magikbilly

Mock the midnight hour once more...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:52 AM

Say, haven't some of thses already been adeed to the Index Page? What exaclty are we voting for then?

MB

#7 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:07 AM

Because it's fun

#8 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:29 AM

Any chance of adding 1962's Century 21 to the mix Marc?

It wouldn't be because of the monorail would it?

#9 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,349 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

Once Marc added some of the new 'zones', I did some searches and moved some previous topics that were entire devoted to those 'other World's Fairs'. I spent about an hour searching for Chicago stuff, and just a little time on Expo 67, etc. Maybe Bill can look for Expo 67 topics to move.
There were a couple of topics that rather than move, they contained valuable info about one of the NYWF Fairs, so I COPIED the topic, and once the new copy was sitting in a new place like Chicago, stripped out some of the extraneous postings that didn't have anything to do with Chicago or contribute to any relationship with Chicago as a subject. But in those cases, I also left a copy of the ENTIRE original topic (including Chicago discussion) in its original location.
Example: A Beatles/Shea Stadium topic that ended up discussing at great length the 1933/34 Chicago World's Fair. Boy was THAT a case of topic drift!

#10 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

I agree with MB and AMF on the GGIE and Expo 21 fronts... but of those listed, will side with Randy on 33.

Honestly, though-- because PTU has become such an invaluable resource of info on so MANY fairs and expos-- I'd love to see an ALL'S FAIR category added where any and all fairs and expos since 1851's Crystal Palace could be posted about. I know I'm only one of lots of PTU members who, though focused on the NYWF, is endlessly fascinated with other great expositions.

While PEACE THROUGH UNDERSTANDING was the official theme of the 64-65 NYWF-- I honestly thing it captures the essence of every other expo before and since. So I'd love to see PTU ultimately evolve into the go-to site for all things World's Fair.

-Trey

P.S. - Nice job cleaning house, Randy. I know we've also had some great discussions and pix posted on: 35 Great Lakes Expo, 35 & 36 Texas Centennial Expo, and 37 Paris, to name a few.

#11 AMF Monorail

AMF Monorail

Back to the Future by Monorail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

It wouldn't be because of the monorail would it?

Hey Marc,

Not really, although they did have the first Alweg Monorail in the USA.

Really its because it was one of the few world's fairs held in the United States even though it was smaller than most, and because much of the grounds still survive, are thriving and are in constant community use today.

With that said, I suppose placeholders for the Spokane, WA, New Orleans, LA and Knoxville, TN world's fair-labled events should also be considered. I do prefer Trey's suggestion to group these together under an "Other World's Fairs" category instead of each in a separate section.

If they breakout over the years they could always obtain their own focus. If you also include Vancouver, BC, Canada, then you might have a group for US based world's fairs versus non-US ones; or North America Expos versus Eurpoean Expos versus Asian Expos; or whatever makes logical sense.

One question, is it possible with this new BB to cross-post into two topics if there is information that pertains to two different fairs?

If you need any more resources to make this happen just let us know.

Thanks for the many ideas, the opportunity for discussion, and your continuing support Marc!
Randy.

#12 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,349 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

One question, is it possible with this new BB to cross-post into two topics if there is information that pertains to two different fairs?

I'm not sure that is a capability that any registered PTU member can do, but if you send a request to cross-post a topic to one of the administrators, we can do it. The only thing is, I don't think any further responses to that topic would get automatically cross-posted to both locations. I may be wrong about that- I'm not sure.

#13 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, I don't think cross-posting would work very gracefully.

I would love to see all the fairs covered and our first expansion beyond 64/65 was such a success but I think picking and launching a few at a time will keep the board from looking too empty.

I think some redesign might be needed to keep the site from looking cluttered but rest assured nothing will be taken away.

I know the changes during the last twelve months have been a bit bumpy but I think we're past that. The server kinks appear to have been worked out and I think we can look at expansion. The addition of 39/40 brought many new faces to the site, I think a few more fairs might bring more people to the party.

Marc

#14 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,349 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

I did a little research and here is the answer to the cross-posting question- you need to start with a little administrator help.

A moderator can "move" a topic from one forum to another, leaving behind a "shadow" topic. Any replies / views of the original topic or its shadows will be shared, mainly because a shadow is simply a pointer to the original topic.

So if an administrator, in setting up the move to accomodate a cross-post request, puts a check mark in the "shadow" option box, further replies will be visible in both areas (it's still really a single topic, not copied).

#15 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

If you're only into The Fair, the one and only fair, The 1964/1965 New York World's Fair, here's what you can do...

Bookmark this link! (You can do this with any topic area by clicking the heading at the top of the topic.)

http://peacethroughunderstanding.com/vi ... .php?f=104

That will take you to just 64/65. As for seeing links to recent posts, today's posts and all that I am going to have to work on it so you can click and only see that area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users