Sign in to follow this  
JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

What day did your birthday fall on in 1965

TGIF!

Unfortunately, the second season had already ended by my particular Friday-- and since 65 was my debut year, I was far too young to experience anything beyond my parents fond recollections of being there!

Tuesday May 18th.I was 17 at the time-Jerry

Labor Day!! You all had a day off! I turned 8. It was rough as a kid though having a September 6 birthdate , because school started usually AFTER labor day so I never had a party in school and didn't know who was going to be in my class to invite to a party before the school year began..OR it was the FIRST DAY of school and that was a huge bummer, but I always had new shoes..hahahahahaha.

Now that I think of it, my twins b-day is June 3 and I usually ended up baking over 60 cupcakes for them to bring with them to school..with an early September birthday my Mom got off easy!!!!!

/Nancy

Labor Day!! You all had a day off! I turned 8. It was rough as a kid though having a September 6 birthdate , because school started usually AFTER labor day so I never had a party in school and didn't know who was going to be in my class to invite to a party before the school year began..OR it was the FIRST DAY of school and that was a huge bummer, but I always had new shoes..hahahahahaha.

Now that I think of it, my twins b-day is June 3 and I usually ended up baking over 60 cupcakes for them to bring with them to school..with an early September birthday my Mom got off easy!!!!!

/Nancy

You have it easy. Mine is Feb 14th. Valentine's Day EVERY year. I thought I always got shortchanged in elementary school because other kids got cupcakes in the classroom on their birthday, and we also had cupcakes on major holidays. But nobody brought TWO sets of cupcakes on Feb. 14th. I guess I was greedy. <!-- s:lol: --><!-- s:lol: --> People used to always send me those 'double' cards that said Happy Valentine's Day Birthday. They make them for other holidays too. I have a first cousin whose birthday is 2-14 also. And one whose birthday is 7-4.

My brother's birthday is April 4th and we always kidded him about the 'near miss'- ALMOST a fool.

2-14 was a Sunday in 1965. I turned 9.

Here is what I looked like on that very day- Sunday, Feb 14th, 1965. I'm wearing the blue coat. We lived in an apartment in Suitland, Maryland (right on Pennsylvania Avenue Extended, which is the street with the cars going by in the photo), a suburb of Washington, D.C.

65May-03.jpg

Don't feel bad Randy... you could've gotten stuck with Christmas Eve, like me.

"WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS... oh... and happy birthday, trey."

On a side note, I must say your parents sure seem to have done a magnificent job of capturing your childhood on film. Must be great to have all those pix to share with your own kids.

Yeah, but today's kids don't seem to appreciate them much, except to laugh at hairstyles and such.

The youngsters on PTU are the exception of course...

The corollary is worthy of examination. Did I use the example my parents set, to capture my own son's childhood?

Not nearly as comprehensively, I'm afraid.

And his growing up period has been in an era of rapid technology change, so what I was able to capture over the last 21 years is in a jumble of formats- 35mm film, digital .jpg, VHS, VHC-S, and a tiny bit of mpg. And oh yes, black & white baby video in a 1970's Quasar cartridge format that died in the marketplace almost as quickly as it appeared. I still have the player though! I really need to figure out how to transfer those to something like DVD.

No slides or Super-8 though!

Here's what the ol' Quasar looks like- it was a competitor to Sony's Betamax in the late 70's. I will still recording baby videos with it in 1986 and '87!! The unit did color, but I only had a black & white video camera to go with it.

http://www.labguysworld.com/Quasar_VR-1000.htm

I feel ashamed for complaining..

My grandmother was a Valentines Day baby and we always bought her TONS of cards, Valentines Day ones, B-day ones, and those nifty two-fers Randy mentioned.

I am also impressed by the fact that Randy can "call up" photos so easily from his childhood. I know my dad has some but I am afraid I will have to wait awhile for them. Some of the old pics from my family come from a lovely photo collection my valentine of a grandmother kept throughout her life, and upon her passing we carefully scanned the volumes so everyone could have copies..then we divided up the originals so everyone had some of those as well. 3 years ago when my hubby turned 50, I asked my M-I-L for some family photos and she gave me a great box.I have shared a bunch of those. I suspect there are some pics from the WF in my Dad's possession, but he's not very organized. Maybe I should put Bunny to the task of batting the eyelashes and pleading with her Grandpa.

I have spent a fair amount of time recently looking at old vhs tapes of my kids and I have to say its wonderful to watch. I fell in love with them all over again. We are slowly transferring them to DVD..the VHS tapes are losing their quality. It is a tedious job..however I better not complain, since many of you consider that your hobby along with photoshop.

Anyhow regardless of when our birthdays are, we can all celebrate this new year together and look forward to more exciting discoveries, hopefully a SIP, and perhaps a sneak preview of drawings from Bill and Carol Cotter re: next year's Burbank float !!!

/Nancy

August 26, a Thursday....I turned 10 years old! The Fair was rapidly coming to an end. My birthday in those days always was bittersweet because the new school year was just around the corner. On that birthday, I was about to enter the fifth grade at P.S. 24 in Flushing. Can it really be 42+ years since all that happened?

Wednesday, September 1st, I was 5 and just entering Kindergarten at PS 69 in Jackson Heights with Miss Tarr as my teacher.

What day did your birhday fall on in 1965

I was Born that TUESDAY Sept 21, 1965!

I was born on October 17, 1935, so I was at the NYWF on closing day, which was also Oct. 17. About 430,000 ticket holders packed The Fair on that day. It was the biggest crowd that I have ever seen in one place!

Ray Dashner