tony01

GM FUTURAMA

That reminds me of a couple of things -

I'm sure I winced a bit even in 1965 to see that jungle road builder. Also, the cantilevered apartments in the near-future city fascinated me, and then I had second thoughts about why would you care if there was no apartment directly below or above. Assuming soundproof construction, it seemed like a flashy waste of space.

And just reviewing the ride now, it occurred to me to ask how the deep sea was so well lit! Seems like GE should have had a billboard down there! ;)

By the way, magazine ads would indicate that it was "GM people" that designed the whole thing (and presumably went back to other design work for GM afterwards). Anyone know how true that was? Did they hire on a significant consulting force, or really do it in house?

That reminds me of a couple of things -

I'm sure I winced a bit even in 1965 to see that jungle road builder. Also, the cantilevered apartments in the near-future city fascinated me, and then I had second thoughts about why would you care if there was no apartment directly below or above. Assuming soundproof construction, it seemed like a flashy waste of space.

And just reviewing the ride now, it occurred to me to ask how the deep sea was so well lit! Seems like GE should have had a billboard down there! ;)

By the way, magazine ads would indicate that it was "GM people" that designed the whole thing (and presumably went back to other design work for GM afterwards). Anyone know how true that was? Did they hire on a significant consulting force, or really do it in house?

From what I was told and talking to some people at GM they did all the design work for that pavilion.I belive that Disney offered to help but they declinded.I think Disney did the Ford pavilion.

Thanks!

The Chevy engine we had was painted like the Diesel and was chromed like it is in the picture you posted but is not that engine.

I specifically remember the intake manifold being cut-away and a carb. so it was not a diesel. It also had the "RAM-HORN" manifolds because one of the kids in the class was trying to get Mr. V. to trade them for more modern ones with the air injectors.

The school was demoted to a middle school for several years before returning to being a High School. The auto shop was closed down during that time.

I'd be willing to bet the brain trusts shutting down the auto shop "land filled" the historic engine. They are good that way.

Mr. V was a graduate of the school in 1968 so the engine would have arrived during his actual schooling.

I took auto shop in 1974. The last graduating class members I spoke to before the middle school days said the engine was still there then along with the 1964 283 I rebuilt for the class in 1974.

I'll see if I can get one of the current students to check out the shops and see it it still lives. They don't know what a real camera is anymore but if it is there, a cell phone picture might be a shot. :rolleyes:

BAD NEWS!

I finally got into the school shops and specifically the auto shop. I spoke to the teacher who replaced Mr. V and he said the engines are all gone but he has some of his own now.

I looked on the lifts and there were two mid-1960's Dodges on them and nothing but lawn mower engines and Mopar stuff.

I think a piece of World's Fair history was lost to Detroit iron competition. Mr. V was "a Chevy guy" and the new guy eats and sleeps MOPAR.

What a waste :-(.

Thanks to the late Mr. George Kane, former archivist at WNBC-TV, New York City, the General Motors Pavilion's Specifications were made available to me from his private collection of GM's 1964 NYWF data.

These pages have been a staple on my Webshots website since 2008, but I feel sure that many of the members of this group are unaware of their existence. The link below will take you to the astonishing facts surrounding the construction of the world's largest exhibit of any kind, General Motors Futurama II.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/568234862rGGMOj?vhost=entertainment

RAY DASHNER

Hi Ray,

I was looking at your site, and at your 1939 album of images. The Armory or Celestial Sphere you have on page 3 of the album was not located by the NYC Building, but by the Virginia end of the Court of States. I have several color slides of it there and many, many b/w prints. I have never seen it near the NYC Building. Were there two or was there another sphere? I saw a thread here from 2004 about the sphere, and it also seems to indicate this was at the NYC Building and then appeared again (or a copy) in 1964? As far as 1939 and 1940 - it was by Maine, no?

Best wishes,

Eric

There was an armillary sphere near the NYC building in 1964-65. It was designed by Paul Manship, who also designed a lot of the 1939 architecture, but the 1964 sphere was not a copy of any of the 1939 spheres.

The 1964 version disappeared in the 1970's; the rumor being it was stolen by scrap profiteers.

There was an armillary sphere near the NYC building in 1964-65. It was designed by Paul Manship, who also designed a lot of the 1939 architecture, but the 1964 sphere was not a copy of any of the 1939 spheres.

The 1964 version disappeared in the 1970's; the rumor being it was stolen by scrap profiteers.

Hi Randy,

I assumed so, but was unsure. It is then just an error on Ray's page then because he is showing the 1939/40 sphere but has its location listed as near the NYC Building in 1939/40 when it was located in the Court of States. You are saying the 1964 sphere was by the NYC Building - nice slide you posted too in the other thread!

Best wishes and thanks,

Eric

Hi Ray,

I was looking at your site, and at your 1939 album of images. The Armory or Celestial Sphere you have on page 3 of the album was not located by the NYC Building, but by the Virginia end of the Court of States. I have several color slides of it there and many, many b/w prints. I have never seen it near the NYC Building. Were there two or was there another sphere? I saw a thread here from 2004 about the sphere, and it also seems to indicate this was at the NYC Building and then appeared again (or a copy) in 1964? As far as 1939 and 1940 - it was by Maine, no?

Best wishes,

Eric

ERIC,

THANKS FOR FINDING MY INTENDED BUILT-IN ERROR. YOU HAVE WON THE CITATION FOR "MOST ASTUTE 1939 NYWF AFFICIONADO". THE CORRECTION HAS BEEN MADE TO THE CAPTION ON PAGE 3.

RAY

ERIC,

THANKS FOR FINDING MY INTENDED BUILT-IN ERROR. YOU HAVE WON THE CITATION FOR "MOST ASTUTE 1939 NYWF AFFICIONADO". THE CORRECTION HAS BEEN MADE TO THE CAPTION ON PAGE 3.

RAY

Hi Ray!

It is not everyday I get such a title bestowed upon me :D Often, they sound different! ;)

Glad to help.

Best wishes,

Eric

Thanks to the late Mr. George Kane, former archivist at WNBC-TV, New York City, the General Motors Pavilion's Specifications were made available to me from his private collection of GM's 1964 NYWF data.

These pages have been a staple on my Webshots website since 2008, but I feel sure that many of the members of this group are unaware of their existence. The link below will take you to the astonishing facts surrounding the construction of the world's largest exhibit of any kind, General Motors Futurama II.

http://entertainment...t=entertainment

RAY DASHNER

That is great stuff fromk GM I was able to obtain all that info from GM a few years back.They were very nice to give me all this info at no charge and they were very helpful..

OK. My late father in law bought the white 1964 Impala convertible that was on display at the GM building. I have a bad picture of it but would like to see if anyone can find a picture of this car on display at the show. I have been in contact with the GMMA and they don't have any pictures of it. It would mean a lot if someone had one and could email me a copy of it.

Thank you

Larry.donn@att.net

This is as close as I can find. You'll have to tell us if the interior matches your father-in-law's car. Does he still have it? Did his car have electric windows?

068_-_People_in_convertible.jpg

┬ęBill Cotter, Set 45 Picture 068

Hi everyone, I just joined up. While looking for information about Futurama on the net, I came across this fantastic forum. I'll be ordering Ray's CD soon.

Now THAT'S when a car was a car! Look at that beautiful interior. Lush, comfortable seats, gorgeous upholstery, snazzy dashboard and door panels. Not the crappy grey or black molded plastic interiors and dashes of virtually every car on the market today.

I challenge anyone to find a car today that's actually comfortable... 1960s Impala comfortable! I recently had the opportunity to sit in both a Rolls and a Bentley, and both of those have the same, uncomfortable, inanely designed modern seats with the two beveled wings on the outer edges of the seat. Car salespeople say the new seats are designed for "better support". Do you really need seats in a Rolls Royce that are going to keep you plastered in your seat through those wild road-rally curves? Stupid.

I want a car that I can drive to Florida and feel like I'm sitting on my living room couch, the way the cars were in the 1950s thru the mid 1980s! And, by the way, those car salesmen aren't old enough to have ridden in a comfortable car, except maybe in a car seat!

Funny, my first car was a 1960 Chevy Impala and I don't recall it being overly comfortable - but I do recall it being really anemic on acceleration and with brakes that gave out if even slightly wet. I was just talking about that car with a friend in NY.

We had rented a Chrysler 300 in NY and all of us were very pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was.

Lincoln Town Car is still the most comfortable ride.......And Ford is thinking about dropping the Town Car just like Cadillac is droppinng the DeVille ( DTS )

Dad's '56 Pontiac, that we took to NY several times, was so tall that a kid could stand on the rear seat floorboards, drape his arms over the front bench seat, and ride all the way standing up.

And that's exactly what we did! Pure heaven!

• Like 1

I must say that the seat in my Toyota RAV 4 is the best seat for my back. Sometimes when my back is bothering me I am tempted to go sit in the car for awhile!

Any day now I expect one of you guys is going to post a picture showing how you yanked the passenger seat out of your car, and installed a Barcalounger. :D

While comfort is very subjective from person to person, I have to say that my new 2012 Mercedes E350 coupe is very comfortable. My 1966 Ford Thunderbird not so much, but comfort is not high on my list when I slip into its bucket seat and throttle up its 390hp V8 engine to cruise down the Pasadena freeway.

Guess it's just me! :ph34r:

But I agree with Mike, there was nothing like standing up in the back of the car! Also loved standing in the back of the pickup truck, but boy, watch out, that roof can be HOT if you're not expecting it!