tony01

GM FUTURAMA

When I worked on my masters thesis (more than 15 years ago), I contacted GM World Headquarters in Detroit (when it was located in the Fisher Building). I asked for information about the GM Futuramas (1939 and 1964) and there is (or was), indeed, an archives. I received actual brochures from both pavilions along with transcripts of the narration that visitors heard during the Futurama rides. All of the information arrived in a large 1964 Futurama embossed package--just as if it was still 1964. I have to go back and look, but the person who responded to my letters had worked at the 1939 Futurama and had been involved in the planning and design of the 1964 Futurama. By the time he and I corresponded, he was nearing the end of his career and I suspect he is long since retired. In any event, I still have all of the materials and the letter he sent to me indicates there certainly was a General Motors archive at that time.

When I worked on my masters thesis (more than 15 years ago), I contacted GM World Headquarters in Detroit (when it was located in the Fisher Building). I asked for information about the GM Futuramas (1939 and 1964) and there is (or was), indeed, an archives. I received actual brochures from both pavilions along with transcripts of the narration that visitors heard during the Futurama rides. All of the information arrived in a large 1964 Futurama embossed package--just as if it was still 1964. I have to go back and look, but the person who responded to my letters had worked at the 1939 Futurama and had been involved in the planning and design of the 1964 Futurama. By the time he and I corresponded, he was nearing the end of his career and I suspect he is long since retired. In any event, I still have all of the materials and the letter he sent to me indicates there certainly was a General Motors archive at that time.

Hi Jim

You are correct the archive building were Im getting my information from is in Detroit.Its hard to get information.

when getting the photos they made sure I was not going to reproduce and sell the photos.I told them i worked for Gm

and they did check out that I do work for them.I had to tell them were the photos were going to be posted.And I can understand why they do this.They have to protect what they own.I know they have alot of info on the pavilion but as I said its real hard to get the information.Im trying to get some more info from them but it is taking a long time.If you have information on the pavilion please post it, photos ,blueprints etc. I would love to see them.Thanks for your info and would love to see the items you have.

Thanks Tony

Hope everybody is enjoying these Gm pavilion photos.I have a few more for today.

Theses photos are from the GM pavilion when the fair closed. Next two photos are like the one Bill posted the only difference is I see the Light post are removed,In Bills photo they are still there.X50400-2837 - consideration.jpg[/attachment:39lgewde]

Thanks for sharing these photos Tony. Some rarely seen information in some of them. Construction and demoliton in particular.

here is another shot with cranes in the background,most of the pavilion is gone at this point as you can see.X50400-3589 - consideration.jpg[/attachment:2cbwtl75]

Now this photo I cant tell what section this was.If anybody can tell.Please let me know.EnjoyX50400-3617 - consideration.jpg[/attachment:3w07pkyc]

Untitled_Scanned_10.jpg[/attachment:3in37if9]
Thanks for the photo. If you have more photos of the interior I would love to see them.

Thanks for sharing these photos Tony. Some rarely seen information in some of them. Construction and demoliton in particular.

Thanks Randy

I will try to get more photos and information from GM.It may take some time its hard to get this stuff from them.

If anyone is intrested in other photos I posted a few on,CONSTRUCTION IMAGES.

under Building the 64 65 New York Worlds Fair.

Now this photo I cant tell what section this was.If anybody can tell.Please let me know.EnjoyX50400-3617 - consideration.jpg[/attachment:8nhgan97]

I'm having a lot of difficulty tying that to anything. The stairwell on the left is the killer- it just doesn't match anything.

I've ruled out the T&T Pavilion, Pavilion of Paris, Bargreen Buffet, BLC, and so on.

It looks like 3 stories, and there weren't many such buildings at the World's Fair.

I'm having a lot of difficulty tying that to anything. The stairwell on the left is the killer- it just doesn't match anything.

I've ruled out the T&T Pavilion, Pavilion of Paris, Bargreen Buffet, BLC, and so on.

It looks like 3 stories, and there weren't many such buildings at the World's Fair.

Hi Randy This photo was given to me by GM as part of the GM pavilion when it was taken down. But I just cant place what part of the pavilion it was.Could this have been something inside the pavilion and it was the last thing taken down?I emailed GM a while ago but no answer.

I wonder if the GM folks screwed up. As Randy said, there were very few 3 story buildings and this doesn't match GM at all. I can't place that cylinder shaped structure at the right either.

Great shots!

I wonder if the GM folks screwed up. As Randy said, there were very few 3 story buildings and this doesn't match GM at all. I can't place that cylinder shaped structure at the right either.

Great shots!

You maybe right Bill.It just dosent look like the GM pavilion.

You maybe right Bill.It just dosent look like the GM pavilion.

I recieved 32 pages of documents from GM reg: the futurama pavilion.Attached is a page showing information on the building.1 this building did have a basement.If you take the Height of 73ft and subtract the 44 ft from grade level you get 29ft for the basement.So the article that Bill posted stating the pavilion had a basement was true.The basement was so big and was needed to hold the track for the Futurama ride to work.The basement held 90% of the track. So now were some of the pavilions items buried in that basement like the article said.

Well the only way to find out is to get your shovel and pick and start digging LOL. futurama.JPG[/attachment:1pamnm93]