tony01

GM FUTURAMA

Hi

Can any one tell what happened to all the displays when the GM building was taking down.

Did Gm take it back ? Is it on display somewere? or was it just destroyed. If some has photos of the inside being dismanteled I would love to see .

Thank you

Anthony

I believe the display was just demolished. Some small pieces (car & truck models) have shown up on eBay, but nothing has been seen of any major scene.

Basically, GM just padlocked the doors and demolished the pavilion with everything inside.

After all the millions they poured into this building, GM didn't want any pieces of it falling into other hands where it could be displayed for a profit or sold as valuable collector items.

What a mindset! But after all, the very nature of a World's Fair pavilion is to just magically appear one day, and then suddenly vanish without a trace. GM certainly did accomplished this.

Thank you Bill and Irv

I can see GM doing that.But being a part of history like the NY worlds fair you would think they would keep it on display at least in there main office in Detroit.Im not saying the entire display just parts. I know the cars were destroyed in the 80s.But they do that with alot of there prototypes.I work for GM and its real hard to talk to anyone there for information. Most from that era are retired.Again thank you for the information.

Anthony

I might also add that GM was one of the first buildings demolished, which was surprising for its sheer size.

They sure wasted no time in taking it down. But then again, they didn't take the time to salvage anything either.

If you work at GM, couldn't your just go over to the archives? Everything is there-photos, films, conceptual drawings, plans. When one looks at some World's Fair reference books with high quality photos or drawings, credit is shown as the GM archives. Some years ago I paid $100 (I think for an hour of labor) to copy the entire B-Roll of the ride to VHS. It seems as an employee you should have access of a discount.

Also... I'd bet you the cost of repairing the NYSP that at least a few of those groovy Futurama moon buggies and undersea vehicles wound up gracing GM execs desks (or their kids bedrooms) long before the rest of the joint was padlocked and pulverized.

I wonder who got the infamous jungle-clearing / paving machine. That one dioarama has got more bad press in the last 15 years than anybody in 1964 could have ever dreamed.

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but here's a view of the GM building coming down:

nywf-demo-gm.jpg

Great shot of the building This is the first time Ive seen this photo.

Thank you

Anthony

If you work at GM, couldn't your just go over to the archives? Everything is there-photos, films, conceptual drawings, plans. When one looks at some World's Fair reference books with high quality photos or drawings, credit is shown as the GM archives. Some years ago I paid $100 (I think for an hour of labor) to copy the entire B-Roll of the ride to VHS. It seems as an employee you should have access of a discount.

I live in New York I would think there Archives are based out in Detroit.I will look into it

and let you know.If there is an employee discount I will let you if you need something I would be happy to help.My main discounts apply to new Gm cars or trucks and acc.parts

The B-Roll isn't anything special. 90% can be seen on the PBS special "To The Fair". The only missing part on the tape is the orbiting space station and a brief shot of people getting off the ride.

If I had known this I would have requested 8 x 10 photos of the ride, like the moon rover. I think they were $25 and this would have given me a clear view of what some of the vehicles looked like.

I do DVD and CD copies. As long as I'm not going to get into trouble for doing it (if it's owned and copyrighted) I would be glad to help out.

Al

Bill Cotter posted a newpaper article about the demolition of the fair a while back...

It seems that some of the debris from the GM Pavilion was simply buried in their basement:

[url:9x8r82lf]http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.com/viewtopic.php?p=45062#p45062[/url:9x8r82lf]

That would be a fun archeological dig!

Best Regards,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

For sharing the article that Bill posted.I know I would love to see whats buried under

that land site.

It's kind of neat to think about this.

I walked on the baseball field that now sits where the GM Pavilion was earlier this week. I didn't know then part of the fair was beneath me.

Al

It's kind of neat to think about this.

I walked on the baseball field that now sits where the GM Pavilion was earlier this week. I didn't know then part of the fair was beneath me.

Al

Al

When you look at your photo its hard to believe there is possibly such treasures

29 feet down.I just looked at some photos the other night of what the GM pavilion had inside the round front section.Looked like a beautiful new car dealership some phots of the Pontiac GTO inside were posted .If anybody has some of these photos please post .

Notice that lamp post so far from the curb? It marks the spot leading to the front door of the pavilion.

Someone here had previously posted a photo showing that lamp in relation to the building. The structure came down, but the lamp remained in its peculiar posiition to this very day.

Incidentally, why would this pavilion need a basement? And 29 feet deep no less! That would have placed it below the water table.

Hi everyone

I had contacted some people at GM that I know and they put me in contact with

a lady who just emailed me about 20 photos of the GM pavilion being constructed and also when it was taken down.A couple photos bill posted of the pavilion being taken down but the other photos I did not see maybe some of you have,or maybe they have never been posted.I did ask some question about the underground basement they just dont know.I was emailed and was told there was a loading area for trucks maybe that is what the daily news article is talking about when it states the 29 ft tall underground basement.I will look into it more.I dont know how to upload photos on the site if someone can private message me and tell me how I will be happy to post the photos.

Thanks

Anthony

To post a picture from your hard drive, hit REPLY. Look for the tab below the message box marked UPLOAD ATTACHMENT. Point to the file on your drive and that should do it!

Looking foward to the pictures.

Bill

To post a picture from your hard drive, hit REPLY. Look for the tab below the message box marked UPLOAD ATTACHMENT. Point to the file on your drive and that should do it!

Looking foward to the pictures.

Bill

Thank you Bill

Very cool! I am wondering if that is the winter of 63-64, or 62-63?

Thanks for posting, looking forward to seeing the others~