Sign in to follow this  
j4sing

In support of the Writer's Guild Stike

Quite an incredible day today. Guess you can't really say you've worked in Tinseltown till you've marched down Hollywood Boulevard with several thousand of your friends. That's me with the drum on the right. And yes, I am still allowed to write my own t-shirts!

TreyOnStrike.jpg[/attachment:6d3b7]

That's a good photo! I'm glad you had good weather for the march. I'm waiting for the 10:00 news to come on so I can see some of it. (It's 9:40 pm in Florida,except in Kissimmee, where it is 8:40) Did the speakers have anything positive to say?

I couldn't help but notice the woman behind you with the megaphone pointed upward. Now that is what I call common courtesy. I've been blasted from behind on more than one occasion, and it is not pleasant. Megaphone wielders around the world should follow her good example.

i am all for supporting the WGA... its not fair what is happening to them right now. I admit, i miss my favorite television shows, but i would enjoy them much more knowing that the writers are getting their cut.

i hope it all works out for everyone, no matter how long it takes.

and worldsfairent... good luck! i hope that you will be able to write soon!

a quick question: i never knew that you were a screenwriter... so i am curious as to what you have written! if you are not comfortable sharing, no worries

Thanks very much for your kind words of support and encouragement, Bunny.

I'm currently a writer and producer on the CBS television series CSI:NY starring Gary Sinise. I've also sold and written 12 network pilots of my own including two that went to series (MERCY POINT, a sci-fi medical drama on the former UPN network, and W.I.T.C.H., an animated series currently airing on The Disney Channel. In addition, I've been a contributing writer on several movies including the upcoming big screen adaptation of THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES, THE SUM OF ALL FEARS, and I STILL KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER (which was my first solo screenwriting credit).

But right now, as we chanted on the streets of Hollywood today, I'm afraid it's "pencils down."

I can't tell you how happy I am to inform you that we, the members of the WGA, have finally brokered a new deal with the AMPTP. A ratification vote by the membership is pending and there are still a few "i's" to be dotted and "t's" to be crossed... but it's looking 99% certain that I'll be back to work this Wednesday for the first time in three months.

On the down side, I likely won't be able to spend as much time on this beloved site (we've got an extraordinary amount of writing to do in very little time)... but I do want to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have publicly and privately expressed your support for me and my fellow writers through PTU.

It remains my passionate goal to develop a NYWF-related story (if not this season, then next) on CSI:NY. So stay tuned... and thanks again for bringing me such a necessary distraction and a great deal of continuing joy during a particularly difficult time for myself and many folks fighting for a fair deal in Hollywood.

-Trey

csi_ny_logo.jpg[/attachment:204oel8i]

Trey-I just read about it on the news, I am happy for you!! I hope all is well and we can get some good shows on again! (how much Deal or No Deal can one take?) I never did get to see your second show in December(Child's Play), has it been re-run yet? Again, my congrats! Jason

I just looked you up on the IMDB and it says the next airing of "Time's Up" will be Wed. Feb 20.

If they are showing the repeats in sequence, then I counted down 7 episodes after that till "Child's Play" is on again. That should be sometime in mid April.

Looking forward to seeing the "Typewriter time machine" again next week . JS

I don't watch much of anything these days, no time, but am happy for you getting back to work. This site has many interesting and wonderful people. Please let us know when something regarding the fairgrounds will be shown on CSI. I will watch that show now, knowing your a part of it.

Regards Wally

I was never a fan of organized labor because I always felt that workers were protected by current laws. During my time in college working in the business office I saw first hand how average to below average employees shared the same wages & benefits as those who worked their tails off. It just did not make sense to me.

Later, while I was involved with our local not for profit humane society with an annual budget of $100,000 and 3 employees I was appalled when the IBEW of all organized the employees and proceeded to file a series of grievances on behalf of a nut case of an employee who made a living suing people.

I am 100% behind the Writers Guild. Their work is intelllectual property they deserve all the financial rewards of their product. Congratulations Trey.

Congratulations Trey (and any other WGA members on PTU). I didn't want to say anyhting to early, so as not to jinx anything, but it looks like it's safe to give congratulations now. What a drawn out affair its been. I guess the suits figured that the WGA would give up after a few weeks and go back to work with the idea that something would be worked out in the future. Then all the awards shows were being cancelled, and ratings for reruns couldn't have been spectacular... While I would obviously like to see more fresh TV programming, I'm glad that you guys stuck to your guns. Hopefully the world will be an ever so slightly more fair one with this contract.

Maybe even a "Fair" contract

"It remains my passionate goal to develop a NYWF-related story (if not this season, then next) on CSI:NY. So stay tuned..."

You know I am at your disposal anyway I can help in that area Trey!I bet you are sharpening your pencils as we speak

Best,

Eric

After an extended 'vaction' we'll look forward to some very fresh story lines and innovative plots. Just what the doctor ordered to break the stagnancy. Bring back a modern version of Ricky Ricardo trying to 'splain' things. Don Knotts providing a tough brand of law enforcement in Mayberry. Or give me Ralph Kramden and Art Garfunkel....er...make that Art Carney. Heck, I'll take Lenny and Squiggy. What happened to those good ol' type of shows? Don't like comedy? Okay, how 'bout the Rat Patrol. Instead of jeeps, make it adventures on horseback with a special operations unit in Afghanistan. We need stories of heroism, without any political overlay. Just good versus evil. And evil is the enemy, not Americans, and not the Americans' leaders. None of the MASH Vietnam-backlash kind of stuff, where everything is cynical. I want my leaders like Lieutenant Hanley on Combat. Businesslike and professional, without reproach.

Uh oh- what have writers been plot-lining the last few months? I can see it now - NOT!!!!

CSI-Miami: The "suits" at City Hall refuse to give forensic investigators legal immunity if they accidentally cut into a live body instead of a dead one, so the investigators go on strike. Every episode the rest of the season shows picketing investigators tracing forensic evidence of who overcooked their donuts. The sergeant pulling shift captain duties has to put on the rubber gloves and collect evidence himself. O.J. Simpson makes a guest appearance in a part that explains how he would have done it if he'd done it. He too has to put on the rubber gloves as a strike-breaking 'scab', and this time they fit.

King of Queens: Everybody tries to figure out what to do with their refuse when the garbage collectors go on strike. The sidewalks are overflowing and it stinks. Somebody comes up with the great idea of dumping it in FMCP at night. The rest of the episode is what happens when they get caught, and try to explain themselves. The reason they were caught? A private citizen was out there painting the pedestal of the Unisphere blue in the middle of the night, and the trash dumpers' sneakers tracked blue paint right back to their apartment.

David Letterman: The AUDIENCE goes out on strike. Producers figure out how to do quick-cuts with old audience footage, and audio 'laugh tracks'. But the jokes are flat, even though the canned laughter is outrageously loud. The nightly top ten list answers the question "Ten reasons the audience didn't come tonight". #1 is they are busy shopping next door at Mujibur's Rock America gift shop. #2 is they're waiting out front for the Beatles to show up. (the Letterman show is in the Ed Sullivan Theater, where the Beatles made their American debut in '64).

Cash Cab: The yellow Cash Cab has to drive slowly through Manhattan on a flat tire, because Retail Tire Shop Employees Local #729 is out on strike. The cab has to drive so slow that it takes 45 minutes to reach a destination, and almost everyone gets three strikes before then (don't forget- this show says three strikes and you're DQ'd and you get dumped onto the sidewalk). The show gets rich because they don't pay off any money any more. But ratings for the show take a nose dive since all the contestants are losers. A second tire blows out, and the cab swerves into the Garbage Collector's union picket line. The host gets accused of being a scab for breaking their picket line.

Marcus Welby M.D. makes a comeback, with his office once again in a suburban house. 99% of his business is treating Scabs. He prescribes bactine, take an aspirin, and call me in the morning. He says scabs are nature's way of healing things. The more serious cases get sent over to NBC to appear on the series Scrubs. That's right, the Scrubs treat Scabs.

Earl: Earl puts it on his to-do-list to find out what a "strike" is, since he's in a right to work state, and they never have anything like that, except they've heard there was once a Gold Strike in Alaska, and that sounds kind of exciting. The rest of the season covers Earl and his brother traveling around the country like a hick version of Route 66, to walk picket lines with a strike-in-every-town, but they don't learn anything from the experience except that when a strike ends, it starts the countdown to when the next strike will begin. Why? Because it's always been that way. Earl's brother tells him that he's hearing that the "great nirvana" of striking is in France. With his lottery winnings Earl can easily afford a plane ticket to Paris to check it out, but by that time they're tired and decide to just go home, since their newly discovered appreciation of strikes will surely yield great results in their Thursday night bowling league.

C-Span: Congress goes out on strike, because....well they don't really have a reason except to be in sympathy with strikers everywhere. Without them there, the country runs itself more efficiently than before Abraham Lincoln was president. You say that what we see on C-Span isn't scripted- it's reality TV? Ha! Sitcom !!! ROTFL!

The American Public appreciates what's happening with the country running itself just fine without Congress there to mess things up, and a grassroots campaign gets enough signatures to place a referendum on the ballot to amend the Constitution and permanently abolish Congress. The only people who vote against it are the Congressmen, the lobbyists, and the news media, who no longer have anything to talk about.

Okay, I can do without all that. Just bring back Ralph Kramden and Norton- between the bus drivers and the sewer workers they've got EVERYthing covered. And I can come home from work, relax, and have a good laugh without having to explain double entendre and gutter humor to the kids. If that's one of the benefits of the recent writer's strike, then I'll be very very happy. Go back to what worked forty and fifty years ago and watch the ratings soar. (and it wouldn't hurt to discover the next Don Knotts walking down Melrose Boulevard).

WELL!!!

jb.JPG[/attachment:kml4gg75]