Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Mystery Photo

Your mission for the day (should you choose to accept it) is to tell us where the photographer was standing.

There are several decent visual clues in the photograph.

IMG040.jpg

courtesy Dr. Lori Walters, University of Central Florida

GE- I recoginized that instantly! Superb! Looks like Mike already beat me to it though...I'm gonna have to start gettin up earlier lol Notice the Aeiral tower ride in the background, one of the capsules is down on the ground. Didn't they all go up and down together? Most pictures I've seen have them all in the same place at the same time. Maybe they are getting ready to put it into "Wrecking Ball Mode" to tear down the IBM pavilion lol

Correct, it's G.E. If you get out your handy-dandy 1964-65 Official Fair Map, and draw a line from the Aerial Ride, across the LIE, and just missing the Kodak 'Cube', it will lead directly to the General Electric Pavilion.

Here's a Bill Cotter photo from almost the exact same alignment with the Aerial Ride and Kodak.

The photographer of our mystery photo must have been upstairs about where that lady in the aqua dress is standing in this photo. Somewhere up there anyway.

010A_-_General_Electric_-_entrance.jpg

©Bill Cotter, Set 3, Picture 010A

Then again, when did the Aerial Tower ever look normal to begin with..

I like all of the little parked Hertz cars in that photograph.

And I agree that the Aerial Tower ride looks absurd. Who designed that thing? It certainly lacks the allure of a Parachute Jump or a Ferris Wheel.

I'm sure it's no mystery to the aficianados on PTU, but I found this shapshot I took at the fair, and rather than surf through the forum to find out what it is, I thought I would just post it.

Fountain.jpg

In the same shoebox were these two photos. First, a typical tourist shapshot of Unisphere taken by yours truly:

Unisphere.jpg

And a picture of me at a dock in NYC, sitting on the deck of the ship Aurelia, which would take my brother to Europe for his junior year of college. It seems quaint now, but I suppose it never dawned on us that he could fly over, or perhaps the fare was cheaper on the boat.

David-on-Aurelia.jpg

I miss these Mystery Photo quizzes.  

In the second photo, with all the Hertz "strollers", (if I recall correctly) the handles were removable.  Yet some of the cars shown have handlebars and some do not.  Were the handles "carried in" to the various Pavilions, or were they placed somewhere near the entrance?  I don't recall seeing any photos of people carrying the handles. 

And, after all these years, has just one of these "strollers" ever turned up?

I don't think any pictures of people carrying the handles have turned up. Odd, as they must have taken them off. The idea was you left the stroller outside and took the handle inside. I'll have to look more closely for some.

I know of two of the strollers that have turned up so far. 

5 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

I don't think any pictures of people carrying the handles have turned up. Odd, as they must have taken them off.  

That is very strange.  Or if the people weren't carrying them all through the Pavilion, you expect to see a stack of them somewhere.  It doesn't add up.

5 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

I know of two of the strollers that have turned up so far. 

Did they turn up on eBay or just turn up?

Oh man. What ep of American Pickers?

I know they passed up a road directional sign in someone's garage in another episode.  Wasn't even picked out, just laid there for all to see.

I think it was an episode in Kentucky?

A little detective work produced this:

On January 21, 2014

Bill Cotter posted:

"Someone has finally found one of the Hertz strollers used at the Fair. It will be on "American Pickers" on the History Channel at 9 PM ET on January 22. I'm looking forward to seeing it. It's been tough sitting on the news until the show was ready to air."

So that would be episode 3, Season 11.  (Vermont, New York)

Now to find it.

(It's available on the History Channel website---stroller starts at 7:11)

Gee, I would have bought it for $40.00

• Like 2