Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Southern California fires

Sometimes I wonder if the usually wonderful weather is worth it.

Here's a view outside my house. On an average day you would see a large mountain at the end of the street. Well, not today. We have 17 or so fires burning, with 300,000 people evacuated so far. The closest one to me (about 8 miles) was evidently started by construction equipment doing grading. I can't believe any moron would have been out there with the high winds and low humidity. I have been in this house 21 years and have never felt wind like this. Saturday night it ripped off 20 feet of my rain gutter and parts of the roofing.

Keep the fingers crossed. I am.

Bill

oct-07-fire.jpg

My family and I are praying for you and your family Bill, along with your neighbors and community. Any other of our PTU'rs in the line of danger- be safe and keep in touch. Let us know you're alright or if there is anything we can do to help.

/Nancy

Second Nancy's sentiment, Bill - please be safe, and let us know how things are going

Hang in there Bill.It seems every place has its own problems.In N.Y. it`s snow and crime.In Georgia it`s lack of water.In Florida it`s hurricanes.Stay safe-Jerry

Just when I was starting to relax, a new fire has started upwind from us. 15 minutes ago there wasn't any smoke in the air - now it's really noticeable. I don't expect much rest tonight. Man, this is nerve wracking.

Things are better now, they knocked down the newest fire. The bigger one near Magic Mountain is about 17 miles awy, which is better than the 8 miles or so when it started. Hopefully when I get up things won't have changed for the worst. This is really horrible, over 3000,000 people out of their homes, so I'm luckier than a lot of others. Thanks for all the good thoughts.

Bill, just wanted to add that my thoughts are with you. My prayers are with you. Be safe. Steve

It's all over the news here, too.

Good luck Bill. You have to know that ALL of your PTU friends are praying for the safety of you and yours.

Doug

Bill, I'd like to add my prayers and best wishes for you and your family that the situation will get better and keep you and your community safe from what's been going on. And that the fires in general will be contained so that the whole ordeal for Southern CA will come to an end.

I'm pullin for ya too Bill~ stay safe! JS

Sunday through Tuesday in Ventura where my office is located, the skyline is dense with smoke from the fires at Malibu and elsewhere. The sun was a dark brown blotch in the sky most of Sunday. We're advised to stay indoors and not be exposed to the smoke and soot. It's the worst of times for any residents near the foothills and canyons. The brush growth is loaded with creosote and they ignite like gasoline. The high wind gusts make control nearly impossible. Hopefully all PTU members in S. California are outside of the conflagration.

Ray Dashner (staying indoors and off the Segway for a while!)

I talked to my son on the phone last night and he said he came out of the Anaheim Police Department when his shift ended yesterday, and there was TWO INCHES of ash on his car. Like a blizzard in Canada in the winter. He also said there was so much soot and ash in the air that it burned his eyes and made him cough. He's not in any imminent fire danger, many miles away (and our house is even farther away), but because the wind is coming out of the east it carries the smoke and ash over much of the L.A. basin.

Kind of like a volcano plume, except instead of coming from a single mountain peak it's coming from multiple rings of fires going for hundreds and hundreds of miles through much of the semi-rural and rough/canyon suburb areas from the Mexican border halfway to San Francisco.

My parents and other people I know back east look at video on CNN and fail to comprehend the huge distances and acreage involved. Part of living in the far west- everything is bigger, including the fires.

The wife said she hasn't seen this kind of ash fallout since the Rodney King riots.

I fly home from the midwest tomorrow afternoon. The long gradual approach from Palm Springs into LAX should be interesting. I'll see if I can get a window seat.

Ray,

Will these fires affect your Busch Gardens project?

I do hope all will turn out well for everyone in the Golden State.

I wish we could send you some of our current rainfall.

We'll keep you all in our thoughts.

Randy.

We have had around 8 new fires today all within 10 miles of us - and all next to major roads. It seems like some arsonists are busy, as that's what they determined is the main cause of the ones up to this morning. They're all clustered in a small area, so can't be a coincidence.

Randy, We're very fortunate to have a flame free zone in Pasadena. It's well monitored by Pasadena fire dept. and in my memory only one small blaze occurred in the Arroyo Seco sector in the past 40 years. Fortunately we're out of harm's way at the present time. Send your rain by tanker, Randy...we need it badly!

Ray D.

Anyone know the current conditions in Burbank and Anaheim? Disney freaks in Florida (myself included) are wondering.