Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WorldsFairEnthusiast

Pop Art on Theaterama

85 posts in this topic

Done! I sent them an Email like the Rosenquist letter, so we should hear back from em.

This is fun!

Bill (if you're back home) or Randy do one of you guys have any photos of the inside of Theaterama during the fair? If you do would you mind posting some pictures for me please?

Sincerely,

WorldsFairEnthusiast

P.S. J4 I see that you're online. Do you have a response from Kelly yet?

Thought you would like to see the new front they have added to the Queens Theatre In The Park. This picture was taken durung the U.S. Open 2007. KR

Picture 055.jpg[/attachment:57bd3]

It would blend quite well with a newly glassed-in Aerospace Museum. <!-- s:shock: --><!-- s:shock: -->

Here's the location of two of the artworks:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theoldtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=37&ArticleID=176&TM=17162.4">http://www.theoldtimes.com/main.asp?Sec ... TM=17162.4</a><!-- m -->

The only ones I've seen I THINK are in a pdf file that is somebody's Master's thesis from the University of Pennsylvania, the whole thing is in a pdf file. The focus is on rehabilitation of the pavilion.

The photos MIGHT have been taken in 1972- I'm not sure, but I remember that it said at the time they turned it into the QTiP they wanted to keep and restore the lamella ceiling, and there's an indoor picture showing all the theater seats and the ceiling. Nobody is in the theater other than the photographer, so I seriously doubt the picture was taken during the World's Fair.

Also, several reports say during the Fair it was a 360 degree movie-in-the-round. Is that true?

The picture(s) I saw certainly don't have screens all around the place- it's more like traditional theater seating.

No word from Kelly yet, but I promise the moment I hear anything you will be the first to know.

Randy- thanks for posting that link. I knew that the Rosenquist was at Weisman Gallery, I had no idea the Lichtenstein is there too. As it is, those two are my favorite murals. Coincidentally, I have to go to Minneapolis next year to have special hearing aids made, and will be there for 4 days. I planned on visiting Weisman to see the Rosenquist mural, what a pleasant surprise that I will get to see the Lichtenstein too! I can't wait!!

At the Smithsonian site..

http://siris-artinventories.si.edu

they have this information about the Ellsworth Kelly sculpture..

Artist: Kelly, Ellsworth, 1923- , sculptor.

Aluminum Company of America, fabricator.

Title: Two Curves, (sculpture).

Other Titles: Sculpture: Red Blue, (sculpture).

Dates: 1964.

Medium: Painted aluminum.

Dimensions: Approx. H. 20 ft. x W. 20 ft.

Description: Two very large, thin, semicircular pieces of aluminum are attached to an exterior garage wall. One semicircle is painted blue and the other is painted red.

Owner: Administered by Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138

Located Harvard University, Peabody Terrace Garage, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138

Exhibitions: New York World's Fair, New York, 1964-1965.

Remarks: The sculpture was commissioned by Philip Johnson for the New York State Pavilion of the 1964 New York World's Fair. The sculpture was given to Harvard University by the artist, through the courtesy of Philip Johnson.

also,,,,

In the MINUTES for UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA

BOARD OF REGENTS December 10, 1965

Gifts During the month of November, 1965

Donor Alexander Liberman

Gift A sculpture, "Prometheus" (19' 7", painted aluminium, unique)

Donor Peter Agostini

Gift A sculpture, "A Windy Summer Day" commissioned for the New

York State Pavilion at the World's Fair, consisting of seven

pieces placed in a 15' x 15' area

Also at .. http://siris-artinventories.si.edu

Artist: Chamberlain, John, 1927- , sculptor.

Title: Untitled, (sculpture).

Dates: 1963-1964.

Medium: Painted and chromium-plated steel.

Description: This horizontal configuration is a massive explosion of metal parts. One end has a flat, straight-edged piece, while the rest is composed of various sizes and shapes jumbled together.

Owner: Unlocated.

Remarks: Rented through the Leo Castelli Gallery (NY,NY) to the New York State Pavilion at the World's Fair in Flushing, New York, in 1964. It was lost and never returned to the gallery.

References: Sylvester, Julie, "John Chamberlain: A Catalogue Raisonne of the Sculpture, 1954-1985," NY: Hudson Hills Press, 1986, no. 181.

Illustration: Sylvester, Julie, "John Chamberlain: A Catalogue Raisonne of the Sculpture, 1954-1985," New York: Hudson Hills Press, 1986, pg. 80.

Here's the final list:

Pop Art Decorating the Outside of Theaterama

Thirteen Most Wanted Men - Andy Warhol

Worlds Fair Mural - Roy Lichtenstein

Untitled - John Chamberlain

EAT- Robert Indiana

Two Curves - Ellsworth Kelly

Untitled (?) - Alexander Lieberman

The Cliffhangers - Robert Mallary

Skyway - Robert Rauschenberg

Worlds Fair Mural - James Rosenquist

Untitled (?) - Peter Agostini

Hope you like it

Sincerely,

WorldsFairEnthusiast

If you publish the results of your research in a paper or something, please post a link to it- we'd love to read it!

Here's a even more updated verson:

Pop Art Decorating the Outside of Theaterama

Thirteen Most Wanted Men - Andy Warhol

Worlds Fair Mural - Roy Lichtenstein

Untitled - John Chamberlain

EAT- Robert Indiana

Two Curves - Ellsworth Kelly

Protmetheus - Alexander Lieberman

The Cliffhangers - Robert Mallary

Skyway - Robert Rauschenberg

Worlds Fair Mural - James Rosenquist

A Windy Summer Day - Peter Agostini

Randy I was thinking maybe we could send this to Billl Young. Maybe he can post it under the NYSP catagory. I also could do a doc. on what happened to all the pieces and maybe he could post in the Legacies or Remanents catagory.

Could you perhaps do a quick addition of where these things are today?

Work - Artist - Location

Could you perhaps do a quick addition of where these things are today?

Work - Artist - Location

I have the 20 on two of them-

World's Fair Mural- Rosenquist-Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis

World's Fair Mural-Licttenstein-Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis

I just happen to be going to Minneapolis next summer to get fitted for some state of the art hearing aids, so in my spare time I will definitely go gawk at the two murals. I'll bet dollars for donuts that they are on display side by side.

Fantastic! Like a slice of the Fair, frozen in time!

The Rauschenberg is in Dallas- see info earlier in this topic.

The Kelly is in Massachusetts attached to a garage wall. Apparently it's not somebody's two-car garage but a huge Harvard University multi-story parking garage.

Does anybody know if this is true?

Robert Indiana also constructed a flashing electric Eat sign on the outside of the New York State Pavilion at the New York World's fair which opened on April 15, 1964. The sign had to be turned off, however, because it attacted too many hungry tourists looking for a place to eat.

Here is how Time magazine explained the non-operating lights in Indiana's EAT sculpture at the World's Fair:

On the side of the New York State Pavilion at the World's Fair is an Indiana "mural" made up of the letters E, A and T in a crisscross, which draws an occasional visitor in search of hot dogs or pizza. It is supposed to flash on and off with hundreds of lights, but every time the fair people plug it in, it blows its own fuse.

So where did the EAT sign go after the fair?

I'm not sure what happened to the EAT sign. Sounds like we're going to to have to do some more research. By the way Randy and Bill I'm working on the doc. on the Pop Art post Fair.

Sincerely,

WorldsFairEnthusiast