Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Photo Lab Slides

Neat-O, Daddy-O!

These shots are great! Are there any of the Marina in this batch? I just learned today that my favorite Candella never even existed. Now I gotta see what it really looked like!

Randy, Quick question. In the arial view of the fair there is a small white building between BELL TELEPHONE and TRAVELERS. Any idea what that might have been? Steve

Interesting catch.

That little building is shown in the Operations Manual- General Plan, Sheet 1, but is not labeled.

There is a second floor room with a 'picture window' facing the Pool of Industry. In all other photos than this one, it is completely surrounded by trees, as if to camouflage it from the public. Like a duck blind.

And indeed, nobody seems to have wanted to take a picture of it, other than it being discernable in distant shots across the Pool of Industry.

My guess is, this was the control booth for the nightly fireworks show.

79152a_Travelers_Insurance_Pavilion.jpg

I agree Randy…here is the box from nywf64.com in the first photo you can just make out the submerged walkway leading right to the mystery box.post-54-1206305317_thumb.jpgbox.jpg[/attachment:bd9e2]box1.jpg[/attachment:bd9e2]

That's very clever~ they have narrow trees, so during the summer the people in the control window had a straight shot at the lagoon to observe the equipment, and be practically invisible to everyone watching the Fountain display. Kudos for pointing that out, I never noticed it before! JS

That's a great aerial view of the Fair and the shot seems unusual to me. So many aerial shots seem to come from the opposite end of the fairgrounds. This photograph appears to cover much of the entire exposition. I would love to see a comparison 1939 photograph.

That's a great aerial view of the Fair and the shot seems unusual to me. So many aerial shots seem to come from the opposite end of the fairgrounds. This photograph appears to cover much of the entire exposition. I would love to see a comparison 1939 photograph.

I agree, that is a very interesting view, and also the most infrequently used angle. I think the reason for that could be because during the majority of the day you would be shooting toward the sun to get that view, which you cannot do to get a good picture. You can see in the top of that photo NYSP is sun flared, and up toward Lefrak City it is super flared. Late mornings to early afternoon would be the best time to shoot that angle. I don't recall seeing any aerial shots from that high up at that angle from 1939. One of the 1939 experts here would know for sure if one exists .