Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Aerial view of Ford

This shot is from early 1964 - lots of work underway on the Hall of Science. You can spot the Ford badge booth. Anyone know what the building was with the blue & white striped roof next to the Press Building?

nywf-aerial-ford.jpg

Great shot! Blue and white roof looks like a hospitality tent. The electrical unit to the left still survives (albeit just the concrete walls).

Great color! If that shot revealed just a wee bit more at the bottom, we would see our "mystery tunnel" under construction too.

Great color! If that shot revealed just a wee bit more at the bottom, we would see our "mystery tunnel" under construction too. :D

Spring 1964 (before Bill's color picture): the front end loader on the right is pushing dirt to make a "hill" on either side of what will become the walkway toward the "tunnel".

Notice the pre-fab section of the stained glass wall which is being staged at the lower left

HoS_construction.jpg

Interesting shot! I didn't know the walls were pre fabbed, I thought they were put up like regular glass bricks. How large are those bricks anyhow? It's been over 30 years since I visited HOS, I really can't remember the size of the bricks that well. Only things I really remember are the Alvin submarine and the Rendevous in Space upstairs. Rendevous in Space was the main attraction of the trip, and it made a lasting impression on me. How many levels does that building have anyhow? I'm wondering if the exhibit hall where the alvin sub is (or was) is in fact the same lower level exhibit hall that you put the then and now pictures up of on the tunnel thread. I'm really not sure but I remember going up the stairs and the sunlight coming in through the bricks.

I need to pay a visit up there, so much to see!

There was talk of saving the Ford Rotunda as a lasting remnant of the Fair. My question is this; did the ribs surrounding the pavilion extend down into the rotunda? Picture maestri please.

Ribs? Did somebody say ribs?

lungs_with_ribs_breathing_lg_clr.gif

bbq_pig_md_clr.gif

db_1.jpg

Structural_steel_topping_off.jpg

086-026_-_Ford_under_construction.jpg

02_-_Ford_Pavilion_-_Southeast_Side.jpg

I think I would have liked moon pies even better than ribs... <!-- s:D --><!-- s:D -->

FORD-01.jpg

Thanks to Yadda Yadda (Kevin) for some of these views.....

Anyone know what the building was with the blue & white striped roof next to the Press Building?

A fireworks stand? They had to buy all those shells for the nightly Fountain of the Planets shows from somebody!

Seriously - Outstanding photo Bill - thanks for sharing it with us!

Regarding Hoodlock's question about the exterior pylons on the "back side" of the Rotunda... no, they did not extend down into the struture where the Rotunda intersected with the Magic Skyway show building, they basically stopped at the roofline.

Bruce is correct about the discussion on saving the Rotunda portion of the Ford Pavilion after the Fair. In early 1964, there was a study prepared by the World's Fair Corporation's Engineering Division and entitled: Preliminary Plan For Demolition and Rehabilitation of Flushing Meadow Park which looked at almost two dozen pavilions and evaluated each of them for possible retention after the Fair was over. The plan for the Ford Rotunda was to use it as an auditorium or lecture hall in conjuction with the nearby Museum of Science and Technology (Hall of Science). Unfortunately, that plan was never implemented and the Rotunda was demolished shortly after the Fair ended...

Courtesy of John Pender, here's the portion of that document that deals with the Ford Pavilion:

FordRehab.pdf[/attachment:2fcb9]

BTW - Watch for more sections of this document on Bill Young's nywf64.com site in the coming months!

Best Regards,

Kevin

OH okay, I see what you mean.

This picture is supposed to be the 'topping out' photo- the last of the ribs to be lifted into place.

It looks like it might be one of the "shorties" that was placed at the back- soley for cosmetic reasons it would appear. Didn't bear the load of anything at all.

For that matter, there's enough interior pillars throughout the rotunda, that the "ribs" didn't need to bear a heck of a lot of load either. They did appear to provide the framework for the glass exterior walls.

Yes, if they had just ripped out the back building, they would have had to replace those shortie ribs or provide 'inserts' to make them look like the other ribs. But I don't think removing the back building would have caused the rotunda to collapse either.

Structural_steel_topping_off.jpg

No, according to the PDF a small section of the ride building where the Rotunda's "shorties" went into the roof and the ride track entered the ride building would have remained. That area contained stairwells and restrooms, and was the only part of the stucture outside of the Rotunda that would have survived.The only thing they would have removed from that part was the track itself. The locations formerly occupied by the track's entry points into the ride building were to be converted into two new stairwells going from the Mezzanine up to the second level.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2007 at 4:33 AM, Bill Cotter said:

This shot is from early 1964 - lots of work underway on the Hall of Science. You can spot the Ford badge booth. Anyone know what the building was with the blue & white striped roof next to the Press Building?

nywf-aerial-ford.jpg

Did anyone ever figure this out??

The operations manual shows TV connection pad #27 (of 30 throughout the fairgrounds) at that location. Could this have been constructed as a place for filming/televising/interviewing arriving dignitaries? 

Another thought: could it be a food concession for the press?

Edit: that is, hospitality, as Irishcooper said in the second post.

I have no clue what it is but what I do remember is walking by the Space Park and along that walkway next to the Ford pavilion when we first entered the Fair.

It was early September of 1965.  I can still envision a Ford employee raking dried leaves off the lawn near where the line entering the pavilion is seen in this photo.  

It's strange what moments we recall.  My parents were discussing where to begin our day and my sister was holding my father's hand.  I watched that man carefully rake those leaves.  He did this just as if the place would be there forever. 

And as  I watched him, all I could think was that in six weeks it would all be torn down.  It seemed so incongruous to me even as a kid.  He was making certain the grounds were perfect despite the fact that it would all be rubble before all of the leaves had even fallen.

23 hours ago, waynebretl said:

The operations manual shows TV connection pad #27 (of 30 throughout the fairgrounds) at that location. Could this have been constructed as a place for filming/televising/interviewing arriving dignitaries? .

RCA did have a room in the Press Building.  Also as indicated by the prints, all communications over the loudspeakers originated in the Press Building ("control room of sound system")

What surprises me is the fact that the roof is painted.  Look at all the Pavilion roofs in aerial shots, and maybe you have a handful which thought it might be a good idea to either put advertising on or finish the roof (Equitable, Denmark, etc.  I'm not talking about full blown artistic efforts like Travelers, GE, Indonesia, etc.)

The fact that is was painted so brightly has to account for its noticeability if nothing else.  Just look at the roofs of the surrounding buildings.

But the fact that it is next to sub-station #2, and behind the Press Building, it's not located in a prime traffic area.  If I had to guess, I'd say it was a Maintenance Annex Building. 

But the roof is a mystery.

If only there was a readable sign.  But the more I think about the roof, the more I think it was hospitality, because I picture a concessionaire doing something flashy like that along with corporate signage to put their name in front of the press. It also makes sense to me that the Fair corporation may have realized late in the game that they needed free food to keep the press happier to be there for extended periods. When I and some colleagues once got a behind the scenes tour of the ball parks in Chicago (because a fellow Zenith employee moonlighted as coordinator for internal team videos), we enjoyed the free lunch in the press box.

Would the stripes be visible from the ground?

………………………………...

However, in one of Bill Cotter's earlier photo posting, we saw this picture:

bluetent.jpg.23f9a16c6fe8b7707d16dd827a9ee87f.jpg

Notice the blue and white striped tent next to Sinclair.

On the 1964 map it shows an empty lot where the tent is.  I wonder if the Lowenbrau Gardens bumped whoever was in the tent off the empty lot?

Strange that they have the same blue and white stripes.