Sign in to follow this  
Ray in Pasadena

Glide-A-Ride Driver goes modern

Two weeks ago, my friend Larry Lief, (the famous Greyhound driver at NYWF) came to California and spent a full day with me in Ventura, Port Hueneme and Santa Barbara. Larry was given a SEGWAY instructional seminar and passed with flying colors. So, the upgrade from Glide-A-Ride to gliding on a SEGWAY was quite a transition. AND.... there were no confrontations with Dempsey Dumpsters during his travel time on the SEGWAY. Even the Pinkertons stood by enviously watching his progress.

Who will be next?

"HAVE SEGWAY, WILL TRAVEL". Ray Dashner

It would be really neat if we PTUers can plan ahead a major gathering next spring, and rent a bunch of segways to tour the entire grounds, from Marina to Meadow Lake. I posted the coordinates of the Segway Rental place in Jamaica, actually it is only a few blocks from where a friend of mine used to live, and incidently, we drove from her house to FMCP for a visit. 15 minute drive, tops. Plus, if we get enough people interested, maybe Segway rentals will just deliver a trailer of the things right to us at the site of the Underground home, or any location, and awaaay we go!!

(I like the underground home meeting location, because I am bringing a little garden spade in my backpack for after everyone else leaves )

"It would be really neat if we PTUers can plan ahead a major gathering next spring, and rent a bunch of segways to tour the entire grounds

Hey, that will look funny, a whole herd of us on Segways at the old Worlds Fair! I plan to be around in the spring too. Sign me up! We gotta get Ray back east too so he can lead our Segway motorcycle - I mean Segwaycycle - gang!

I used to commute to my job at the Fair by motorcycle, by the way.

Yours,

Greyhound-at-the-WF bus driver, Greyhound a-t-WF Glide A Ride driver, and Segway driver, Larry Lief!

I used to commute to my job at the Fair by motorcycle, by the way.

Yours,

Greyhound-at-the-WF bus driver, Greyhound a-t-WF Glide A Ride driver, and Segway driver, Larry Lief!

Ahh....so it was YOU Larry!

Take a look at this topic- is that YOUR motorcycle? Did you park it at Gate 3 (the Peter Stuyvesant gate) ??

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=7095&hilit=

That's neat, Ray! Thanks!

I frequently ride my bike in that area. Never knew they rented Segways, though.

I'm deathly afraid, though, that if I rode one, I'd want to buy one.....must avoid temptation.....

What's the learning curve on a SEGWAY? How much to rent them for a day? This could happen!

The time it takes to learn how to use a SEGWAY is not more than twenty minutes. Before you can rent one, the SEGWAY rental agency is obligated to provide the essentials to safely ride it! Last August, in Tampa, FL, my sister rode on one next to me for about three hours with only ten minutes of instruction. That rental was priced at $90 for two Model i2's. Go to http://segwaychat.com for tons of information about the SEGWAY!

Ray Dashner