Sign in to follow this  
BruceB

Question about death at NYWF lake amusement area

I have a question I have be wondering about for 4 decades. A friend of mine who visited the fair in 64, (I did not visit until 65) said he was watching a show in the lake amusement area of the fair, and a performer using a jet belt or rocket belt was flying around and crashed and was killed. I never read about this in the newspapers, but was wondering if it was actually true. The kid was 10 years old at the time. Also any other unusual deaths or injuries ever happen at the 64-65 NYWF?

They had a performer in a jet belt but he didn't crash and wasn't killed. There were a few deaths at the Fair. Most were construction/demolition related. One guest was stabbed to death in a robbery. A Pinkerton guard died of a heart attack after breaking up a fight. May have been others but nothing as spectacular as your friends story.

Four people died within the Fair grounds…

NJ pre-fair, construction…

Florida, post-fair, demolition

NYS/NJ outside of the pavilion, knifing murder

Florida, official, heart attack

Outside of the Fair, man fell off the platform spanning the LLIR

Bill C. don’t know of the Pinkerton guard, please state your source of information

Search the archives for the names of the victims.

If my memory is still intact after all of these years since the occurrence, a young woman's body was found in the bushes adjacent to the Meadow Lake parking lot on the east side. Maybe Hoodlock can confirm if I am correct. I still don't know what was determined as the cause of death.

Also, I was probably one of that crowd that saw the Bell Rocket Man glide over the Unisphere. I'm unsure how many times that feat was accomplished but to see it once was an event I've always remembered. I saw it happen again the second time at the Wonderworld show.

Ray D.

Sad to add yet another to the list,

On June 12, 1964 a Pinkerton guard, Michael Markarian, 24 yeas-old is critically injured when he is dragged under one of the convertibles at the Ford Pavilion. The guard was found under the wheels of the car abut 150 feet from his post. The guard is taken to Queens General Hospital with a fractured skull and other injuries.