Sign in to follow this  
DeniseFuller

Neo-Retro Television Sets

Of course it needs built in extendable rabbit ears, which your little brother has to hold onto with his other arm extended out at a 27 degree angle if you want to watch channel 12.

I remember back in the 60's my dad making odd-looking aluminum foil "extensions" to attach to the rabbit ears when we wanted to watch certain channels (when little brother couldn't be tricked into standing there holding it indefinitely). This was when we lived in an apartment and didn't have an aerial on the roof. I think we got our first roof-top antenna in about 1967. Finally when we moved to Florida in December '71 my dad splurged and bought a remote-controlled ROTATOR box for the roof aerial, with "programmable" (via mechanical stops, not digital) points to local stations (our house was about equi-distant between Sarasota, Tampa and St. Petersburg, with the stations spread all over the compass). Within five years he'd signed up for the first cable TV (about 1976 if I remember right), and that rotator machine was history. Now in retirement, he has a mini-dish for his house, and he has a computer-aimable mini-dish for his big daddy 5th wheel trailer as well. Does it make life grander? He still sleeps on the barco lounger while the ball game is on, the difference being that he can choose from 30 DIFFERENT ballgames to sleep through.

Did anyone notice the Unisphere on the Meteor model?

I thought that was the main reason Denise posted the link, a follow-on to many previous PTU topics on the myriad of ways that the Unisphere is used in advertising.

These are actually PHILCO TV's built around 1956-1959.

http://www.collectorkevin.com/philco.htm

Scroll to the last photo and you'll see the resemblence.

Ray

Ray, congratulations for tracking down Kevin in Portland- who under the nom de guerre of Yadda Yadda has been here on PTU for years. He didn't tell us he has an old TV interest.

We're going to have to speak to him about that diet though....

http://www.collectorkevin.com/food.html

Kevin where are you? What's up with the chicken nuggets and Coke Zero?