Sign in to follow this  
scrock30

New Shea Stadium

My husband and I went to one of the Mets games in LA in June. Luckily, we were surrounded by rows of Mets fans at Dodger Stadium. Poor Jerry Seinfeld got roundly booed by Dodger fans when he was shown on the Diamond Vision screen.

Denise

You're kidding about the waffle arn't you? I don't see where there was anything wrong with old Shea Stadium and it

wasn't that old. Thank heavens we have , what 3 original stadiums still in use??

DODGER STADIUM est. 1962

It is the fifth oldest MLB park still in use. And it's the only current MLB park (excluding the most recently-built parks) that has never changed its capacity. It has always held 56,000 fans, due to a conditional-use permit limiting its capacity. Every time the Dodgers add seats, they always remove an equal number of seats in the upper deck or in the pavilion to keep the capacity the same.

dodger_stadium_2_med.jpg

Shoot, I believed all that, Ford cars, Magic Skyway, really on the same exact space? All I remember is that the

cars were across the road and I think right next to each other. Well I got out my ancient map and Shea Stadium is nowhere

near the transportation area.

Dodger Stadium, Still a gem of a facility....Was there just last night to observe Barry Bonds and the reaction and reception from the LA crowd.......My knock on Chavez Ravine and always has been, it's a hassle getting in & out of.......Grew up in NYC, subways right to the door.....Anaheim which is very close to my home, is better than Dodger Stadium in that regard but still a nightmare......But one gets spoiled by the ease it is to go the the NY ballparks......I wonder how many are displeased with this Citi--Park name......Have many fond memories of Shea, before the neglect of the late 70's and the absurd paint and so call upgrades of the late 80's......I do plan on catching a game there next month when I make my next trip back home.....I understand that the L.I.R.R. is going to upgrade the station and make it more desirable to the fans to take the train.....Shame is they had a beautiful station in place in 39-40....Does anyone have any info as to why they tore in down ????? In closing will the new station be built closer to the new ballpark, or stay where it is...Don't want to upset the US Open Tennis folks.......Thank You , Pat M......

Dodger Stadium basically sits on top of a mountain that had the very top cut off like a flat-top haircut. (But with a nice hill to set the stadium up against- not as steep as Coogan's Bluff/Polo Grounds, but nice nonetheless). Parking and traffic flow is indeed horrendous, and they raised the parking fee this year to $15.

But in recent years there are now numerous light rail subway lines that converge underground right near the bottom of the hill. It's where the blue line and orange lines cross. The gold line's Chinatown station would be even closer.

A rail line extension from the gold line, or a monorail- either one- would be very expensive to build. You'd have to either tunnel horizontally under Chavez Ravine at the same level as Chinatown, and then provide a whole bunch of elevators to boost people up to the stadium on top of the mountain from a deep underground 'Stadium Station', or you'd have to build tracks to let the rail cars circle 'round the mountain two or three times or snake around up Stadium Way, so that the rail cars could climb the grade. Or build a funicular, which would be expensive as well.

A much cheaper alternative would be to build a Sky Ride with gondolas- the same kind of thing that Disneyland, many other amusement parks, and World's Fairs used to have.

You lift the passengers up the hill on gondolas suspended from cables strung between towers. It could be built from the gold line Chinatown station, or even up out of a tunnel from underground at Metro Center where three different lines cross. Step off a light rail car underground at Metro Center, and step directly onto a Stadium gondola.

What's more, each gondola could be painted with the name and image of a Dodger Hall of Famer, along with their uniform number.

Come to think of it, instead of the typical 'egg' gondola shape, shape them all like a baseball.

The Dodgers and the City could partner to build it.

I drive past the new Stadium often. With the neon lights already on. The place looks like it's ready to play baseball. Alas one more year to go. I love this whole area. Most people say "You Love Flushing"? Yes I do very much. They usually reply "I don't hear that much" "I do love Flushing" they give me a look and walk away

Wow that's an odd sight--seeing the new stadium take shape right next to Shea. It almost looks like one of those clever Now & Then shots that people post sometimes. I suppose next season someone would indeed have to make up a Now & Then shot to replicate this one (as good old Shea will be gone ).

I'm hoping to get out to Queens for the SiP in June. It will be my last chance to catch a game at Shea and probably my only chance to see the two stadiums standing next to each other like this!

That March 1 picture showing the two side-by-side has the funny but misleading effect of making you think the new ballpark is going to resemble the old one, when in fact it's going to look completely different, resembling Brooklyn's Ebbets Field.