Sign in to follow this  
scrock30

New Shea Stadium

Mets Stadium, by Citibank (with FMCP in the background).

img_citifield2_450x338.jpg

Anybody know what the two large gray buildings are between Citifield and the tennis stadium?

That wouldn't be a new Willets Point train station would it?

It looks like the Pasarelle boardwalk is still there between the two gray buildings in this rendering, contrary to the recent report that it was going to be eliminated.

Maybe what they meant was they are going to build a ramp directly from track level to the Citifeld gates, and having to navigate stairs to the boardwalk would only be necessary to cross the tracks to go over to FMCP. So maybe only the Shea end of the boardwalk (on that side of the 7 line) is going to be eliminated or redesigned.

One would think everything in the white boardwalk area shown in this World's Fair model (referred to as the Pasarelle in recent years) would stay....

Boardwalk3.jpg

...which would be everything from this architectural curiosity back to FMCP.

Boardwalk1.jpg

[note that they added a Subway sign so the Sisters of Mercy wouldn't get lost. ]

Boardwalk2.jpg

And this is what will likely be eliminated- the platform where you had to go down steps to get to Shea in back of the Cyclotron scoreboard....

Boardwalk4.jpg

...that platform is shown at the far right in this 1963 rendering.

Boardwalk5.jpg

Shea will live on, even after it is torn down. Major leage baseball players seem to love it enough that they've been naming their kids after it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1871546

It would be nice if they saved this. If they did, where should they put it?

160444922_375510c015.jpg

I wonder if Citifield is going to have one of these?

460703650_04a5c1fd19.jpg

And RFK Stadium's demise will alter the view of DC. Its distinctive design is a landmark in the

District. It is also a shame when a stadium is demolished that the name of the person to whom

it is dedicated can be erased as well. That does not seem right to me.

I don't think the Kennedy family has to worry much about keeping the Robert Kennedy name in memory- there are tons of monuments and stuff around; but in Bill Shea's case the stadium might be the only prominent legacy keeping his memory alive. (And I'd venture to say that few people attending ball games there have a clue about where the name Shea came from). Hopefully they'll mount that 1964 dedication plaque on some kind of monument in the vicinty right outside the new stadium, with an accompanying explanatory plaque declaring that for 40-plus years a large stadium stood on this spot, hosting everybody from Presidents to Popes, babies to Beatles, and Mets and Jets, and even served as a temporary home for the Giants and Yankees. And it was named after Bill Shea because of his role in the return of national league baseball to the City of New York. (Something like that anyway)

I don't see anything wrong with Shea Stadium, sounds like another if we don't get a new

stadium we'll go someplace else. And every new one is horrid looking. Like Baltimore Colts,

not Indianapolis. Rubbish.

Here is a nice view of the part of the 1964 platform that will apparently meet its demise.....

Looking at it from this angle, you can see cool NYWF architecture in it throughout the stairs and nested circular levels. Very nice.

460546035_68408623a0_b.jpg

I always thought that ramp was cool and ultra modern...I remember many a cold Sunday late afternoons in December freezing my backside after a Jet game....I feel that Shea in it's original bright seat colors were so fresh looking, as well as the NY State colored tiles that adorned the pale green scruture was very unique...They ruined the place after the Jets departed....They added funky bleatchers, painted the joint bland blue.....Much like the entire Part area has just never been cared for.....I'll go one time just to say goodbye...Even though I lived on the West Coast, I'll visit the old girl one last time

I heard they are keeping home plate where it is and making a small park around it instead of putting a parking lot over it. Does anyone know if that it true. Will they auction off the old seats?

Margaret

I heard they are keeping home plate where it is and making a small park around it instead of putting a parking lot over it. Does anyone know if that it true. Will they auction off the old seats?

Margaret

Those barons of capitalism, the Wilpons, have assured everyone just about EVERYTHING will be put up for sale. Too bad they didn't keep the old Longines clock atop the scoreboard. I'd grab that!

Margaret

It will be a parking lot, but from what I've heard, they're planning on indicating where the infield was like they've done in some other places.

Altanta, former Fulton County Stadium site in the Turner Field parking lot:

10678497_ddd462491d_m.jpg

Chicago, former Comiskey site, now the US Cellular parking lot:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2684&stc=1&d=1121551523

Well the Mets have been slumping lately. They got swept by Philly at home and took only one from the Tigers. Boy that Tiger team can hit. They have a great lineup. I hope the Mets do better in LA before they come back for round 2 of the Subway Series 2007.

I went to the Mets last game in L.A., in last fall's playoffs.

A pretty pitiful effort by the Dodgers.

A bunch of visiting Mets fans were pretty angry because they got doused with beer by some soused locals and some of the worst of the annebriated were even cussing out little 4 and 5 year-olds wearing Mets jerseys. That seems to be a common thing with L.A. fans- when hopes are high but the team plays poorly, too many of the fans compensate by upping the alcohol consumption, and things get ugly. It was the same thing with the Raiders.

The Mets fans' complaints to ushers and so-called "security" was ignored.

Thanks for the link.

Excellent Cyclotron thickness check. It doesn't look curved at all in this fish eye lens view.

28979828.jpg

...a nice footprint overlay

22813310.jpg

entry rotunda in the new park. There will be a bunch of the latest Ford automobiles in the court you see here, along with a minature International model village, and when you go up those twin escalators, you will board the Magic Skyway....

....darn, there I go getting mixed up again.

22813324.jpg

restaurant. "I'll have a Bel-Gem waffle, please."

22816172.jpg