Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Cates

Walking tour at FMCP

Our friend John Kriskiewicz, architectural historian, is leading a walking tour of the FMCP tomorrow, April 28 from 2-4 PM. The tour is for the Queens Museum in conjunction with their Robert Moses show. We'll be there and hope some of our Fair friends can make it. There is a strong possibility that we will be given access to the NY State Pavilion to take a peek at the renovation of the floor. We also hope to visit the Great Hall. Check the QMA website for more info or just meet us at the info desk.

The film.....Yes, it's coming out. We are still waiting for one contract. We are working on a 2nd DVD and plan on releasing it as a 2 DVD set. We are really excited about the 2nd DVD. We are putting in some really rare footage that was killing us to leave out of the film.

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Thanks you guys. What would we ever do without you!

On the 2nd DVD, are you going to include the special 'director's cut', plus the outtakes that most DVD's have these days?

Such as:

*Curtis pulling his hair out trying to make deadline

*the mailman carting off two tons of legal letters pleading for "rights"

*maybe a video tour of "FMCP today"

*a five minute max documentary on the Texaco floor preservation project

*similar, on the virtual NYWF project of Lori's students in Florida

*and most important- a slide inviting people to visit http://www.nywf64.com and http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org!!! (and http://www.bbqproductions.com, of course), where folks can re-live the World's Fair every day.

What else would we want to see in such an outtakes, cutting room floor, and miscellaneous stuff area, provided there's DVD space for it?

Didn't we hear something about the BIE granting retroactive recognition of the '64-65 NYWF, 40-plus years after it was held? That would be an interesting commentary, if true....

Randy,

You are offering some great ideas and I think we will have room for a couple of them. We are looking through tons of material that was left out.....footage, photos, interview segments, etc., and we are a bit overwhelmed, but what we have assembled so far we are very happy with. We feel confident the 2nd DVD is going to have some very nice rarities and surprises. Keep in mind that from the beginning we chose to make this a documentary film in the purest sense, choosing period music, editing style, and a famous Radio DJ from the 60's (Bobby Jay from WCBS in New York) to do the narration. We have always felt that we owed a debt to the incredible people that took time to be interviewed and those that contributed materials to be true to their stories and keep them alive. We hope the film will be a document that will be as relavant in 100 years as it is now.

We aim to please at BBQ after all this waiting and legal wrangllng.

Wow! What a day we had in the park. About 130 people showed up. They only had 40 hard hats to let us in to look at the map restoration project so that took quite a bit of time with so many people. No idea where all these people came from. There were people from several different countries. It was amazing. We didn't get to the Great Hall until a little after 5PM so the manager and Monte Melnick (their A/V person) waited for us to get there. Got there about 5:15 and went into the Great Hall and the HOS manager gave us a great little talk in the dark with just the sunlight coming in through the magnificent windows. Monte also spoke for a bit. John was in great form and the tour/walk was a fantastic success. What a day!

Bunny, do you have the Connecticut PBS documentary about the '64 World's Fair? It's narrated by Judd Hirsch, Alex (Alec?) from the TV show Taxi. Although I don't agree with some of the negative comments about the fair, it's a great film for the NYWF fan to watch!

I got mine at the QMA gift shop.

Not sure where else they're for sale now. Probably eBay.

It's available on DVD through Amazon at this link, Doug... and I see you get it at a discounted rate if you also pick up a copy of Bill Cotter and Bill Young's excellent Images of America book.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/1964-Worlds-Fair-Judd-Hirsch/dp/B000CSLKN6/ref=sr_1_3/002-8961832-0048026?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1178043710&sr=1-3" target="_blank">The 1964 World's Fair - narr. Judd Hirsch</a>

Bunny, do you have the Connecticut PBS documentary about the '64 World's Fair? It's narrated by Judd Hirsch, Alex (Alec?) from the TV show Taxi. Although I don't agree with some of the negative comments about the fair, it's a great film for the NYWF fan to watch!

I got mine at the QMA gift shop.

Not sure where else they're for sale now. Probably eBay.

i have one documentary on DVD.. i cannot remember the title but it has the unisphere on the cover of the box.

That's the one Bunny!

However, you have not lived until you have the video of Bozo the clown arriving at FMCP in a helicopter and touring the Fair, including dancing with the Disney characters at Pepsi. I won't tell you how he gets down from the helicopter to the ground- you'll have to watch.

I will look forward to this documentary when it comes out!

The Judd Hirsch one was okay but I think when all is said and done the difference between that one and Curtis's will be like the difference between McDonald's and a gourmet meal (or maybe use the analogy with Fair restaurants).

Oh, I agree, Eric... I've seen the BBQ film two or three times and it's going to be fabulous... especially with a second DVD with extra footage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Each time I saw Curtis' film it got better and better. The first showing was dry, with long talking head segments. The second time we saw it they had added lots of footage over the interview voices and more music. It was great. I'm certain the final cut will blow us away!

My point about the Judd Hirsch film was that when I found PTU six years ago, it was a pretty exciting option since it was pretty much all we had to cling to!