Sign in to follow this  
Ray in Pasadena

FORTY-THREE YEARS LATER.....

This is a message to all PTU members and guests.

It was 43 years ago that the gates opened at Flushing Meadows, New York to welcome millions of visitors from all over the world to the New York World's Fair 1964/'65.

I was fortunate to be amongst them on thirty-eight separate occasions. I thought it would be an interesting addition to my already burgeoning library of audio tape recordings to bring my UHER 4000 to The Fair and make a few recordings of what I saw. The few became many over time. These have turned out to be the only extensive archive of recordings made by a NYWF visitor.

Today, I have decided that these artifacts should be allowed to continue to be made available to the public long after my demise. I am therefore naming as executor of this portion of my estate to a gentleman known here as Hoodlock. He may be somewhat surprised by my decision, but I cannot think of another individual that has more feeling for The Fair as I believe it has influenced his life as it has mine.

NYWF LIVES!

Ray Dashner

The Segway has a battery in it, right? We're talking a potential environment hazard here.

Better start working on that Environment Impact Report, Ray. You might even have to hire a high falutin' consultant to write it for you.

Or maybe you can just declare your house and yard a foreign country which is exempt from all that stuff. That's the ticket.

...and I just thought Led Zeppelin was singing Stairway to Heaven; it was really Segway to Heaven.

Ray, how's your health?

You aren't planning on leaving us any time soon, are you?

Irv, I am not planning anything like that, but the parts are wearing out like some of those '65 Mustangs we all saw at The Fair. I still have all of my brain cells, although some may claim I'm missing plenty at my age (71). Diabetes was discovered a few years ago when I had a record breaking 1,164 glucose reading. I still have eight lives left!

Ray D.

Long live Ray and long live the memory of the Fair.Happy 43rd anniversery to us all-Jerry

Ray, I'm glad to hear you'll still be around for many more years. We all appreciate your contributions.

But just think - it's been a quick 43 years now since the fair first opened. The next 43 years will fly by even faster. Who in that future time will even remember there ever was a fair in Flushing Meadows? Even now, most people have no clue what the Unisphere is or why it was built.

Without musuems or lasting legacies, our past will surely be lost in history.

Thats awsome Ray

Uher 4000' were broadcast qualiety field recorders, those must be great recordings !!

I rebuilt a battery pack for a 6000 some months ago.

-Joe

"Today, I have decided that these artifacts should be allowed to continue to be made available to the public long after my demise."

Hi Ray

I was wondering if it might not be a good idea to insure survival by depositing a few copies with individuals and perhaps also a few museums etc. that can care for the material properly and see to its distribution "forever" - something like the 1938 Westinghouse Time Capsule books that were placed in library collection around the country - the reason for my suggestion - look how few remain :unsure: and they seeded thousands of places deliberately! Just food for thought. I am having one heck of a time trying to care properly for the original 35mm print of Lugosi's last fairly decent film/for with Ed Wood and that is not even nitrate like my slides - even his estate did not want to get involved in caring for the original - but they expreessed interest in a copy...long term survival of these materials is hard to arrange and extremely costly!

MB

i agree with you magikbilly that it might be a cool idea to have some put in museums, or whatnot.

but its good to know also that wherever it goes its in good hands.. i am sure Hoodlock is going to do a fine job keeping things in order

Hi Specialbunny

"i am sure Hoodlock is going to do a fine job keeping things in order "

And I certainly did not mean to imply otherwise, but think of my example Jesse - the '38 Time Capsule book. We all know how many were sent out, and look how many were discarded or stolen or just misplaced. Look at what is left. Now imagine only one hundred copies or even just one copy of that book going out.. :unsure:

Hiya Wally

Check this link out - <a href="http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub54/5premature_degrade.html" target="_blank">Storing Magnetic Tape</a> - I am guessing these recordings are on magnetic tape and I am sure there is a master from which other copies have been made and can be made and the original is tucked away somewhere - but providing these sorts of conditions must be costly, as I learned from the Lugosi film I mentioned. I am reading this linked page now myself, and wish I could guarantee this kind of quality storage for my slidesand prints when I am gone! All these materials degrade in time, as my slides will fade, so I was thinking that more copies might mean more survival.

MB

MB, thanks for all of your notes about preserving NYWF artifacts. I know you have only positive thoughts about keeping important elements of our past available for future generations.

I too have that in mind, so on November 1, 2001 a time capsule was buried at the Hall of Science at FMCP which contained several copies of my NYWF recordings on CD-ROM. That capsule will be opened on Nov. 1, 2051.... sorry I won't be around at that point, but hopefully the materials will be intact, useable and available to the Hall of Science for safekeeping.

Additionally, copies are at the Library of Congress along with the Morton Gould composition "Come up from the valley, children" which was part of the Bell System ride.

I intend to send FLASH memory USB (1 GB) with all of the data for three of my current CD-ROM discs to the Queens Museum of Art, The Library of the City of New York and the State Library at Albany, NY.

The original tape recordings still exist and are perfect in every sense. No oxide deterioration or dropouts when playing back on my UHER 4000. There are many events and pavilions that are recorded in my collection, but only those that I thought would be interesting were transferred to CD-ROM. I did not think the crowning of Miss NYWF was more important than Abraham Lincoln's speech at the Illinois Pavilion.

My good friend (PTU Member #4) Hoodlock will have plenty to review when the time comes for me to step aside.

Ray D.

Ray, I plan to be there at the Hall of Science, three weeks before my 101st birthday. I will talk about you and your insightfulness, kindness and overall humanity, not to mention your humor.

Remember the first cover of your audio collection you planned to inter; you know the one with you on the cover…

:rolleyes: (w00t)

Hi Specialbunny

"i am sure Hoodlock is going to do a fine job keeping things in order "

And I certainly did not mean to imply otherwise, but think of my example Jesse - the '38 Time Capsule book. We all know how many were sent out, and look how many were discarded or stolen or just misplaced. Look at what is left. Now imagine only one hundred copies or even just one copy of that book going out.. :unsure:

i totally agree with you, never doubted your statement for a second.. so no worries