i kid you not, this is one of my 9-year-old daughter's favorite old songs. but i had no idea who the singer was or that she played at the nywf. i just had a copy of "lollipop" from some old reggae compilation-- and don't even ask me why it was on there.

I am interested in this "large lollipop prop" as I am writing a book on this event--can you tell me how you know about the prop? And where I can find any info on this Millie Small Day? Thank you!

Too bad somebody took down the Youtube video since it was shared here 11 years ago.

The information I am finding is that 16 year old Millie was presented with the "World's Largest Lollipop" by famous DJ "Murray the K" in July 1964 when she arrived at JFK airport on her first trip to the U.S.  Her plane had been dubbed the "Lollipop Special".  (Murray the K also welcomed the Beatles the previous February)

Her 2nd trip to the U.S. was to the World's Fair, and her day was August 12, 1964.

Al Fisher was head of TV & Radio at the Fair Corporation in 1964 and he's in this group.  Maybe Al remembers something about Millie Small Day and can share with us.