Sign in to follow this  
DeniseFuller

What's My Line World's Fair Moment

On this past Sunday's "What's My Line" on the Game Show Network, one of the panelists was the female "human" cannonball from the NYWF. Something came up about Robert Moses and Arlene Francis made some comment like - "Well, he has been called many things." It was not a compliment. Funny moment.

Denise

The 60s New York based game shows were often a great way of getting publicity for the Fair in the form of contestants who worked there. I've seen quite a few episodes of "What's My Line?", "I've Got A Secret" and "To Tell The Truth" that used the Fair as a subject (as well as a big prize giveaway of taking part in "To Broadway With Love" on a Price Is Right).

You're right, Eric. Fair workers were frequently guests on What's My Line. On a rerun that aired just a couple of weeks ago, some guy who made fudge at the fair was a guest. That show was originally broadcast just days after the water-skier from the fair was a guest. You think this would have made it fairly easy for the panelists to, at least, guess where the people worked. Arlene Francis didn't even correctly guess her own son, when he appeared on What's My Line, as a worker from the New York World's Fair.

Denise