Sign in to follow this  
specialbunny

Strange TV Find

on my campus Cable TV, we have all kinds of strange television stations. They include a NASA Channel, a Military Channel, two Asian TV networks, one German TV network, and this one strange channel called " CLASSIC ARTS SHOWCASE" (aka ARTS) in addition to the basic cable stations (plus HBO channels).

like always, i pass through these strange channels without a thought, but just a few moments ago, i stopped at the ARTS channel. Usually there are old clips from ballets, or classical music concerts or something, but what caught my eye was a glimpse of what looked like the Aquacade(?) of the '39 Fair. i dot know much about the '39 fair, but from pictures i have seen here on the forums, it was very evident that this was the fair!

What it turned out to be was a short film called "World's Fair Fantasy" directed on location by Don Kelly. it was about a little boy who dreams of the fair, and walks around in his dream, thus showing all of the sites of the fair. it was in color, and it was wonderful!!

i dont know if anyone has seen this short film before, but i would try and search for it! unfortunately, i do not have a VCR recorder, nor do i know if it will be shown again. this channel is so strange, that you never know what will be on when. sometimes i'll see the same thing twice in a few days (i once saw this strange modern ballet about people getting drunk on champagne.. very cool to see but odd nonetheless). Maybe this is on Archive.org? i will search.

thought i would share this bit of info

Have a good night! (well morning here.. its after midnight)

~Jess

Wow, Bunny... this sounds cool! I'd love to see it. I checked the Classic Arts Showcase website (http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/)-- but alas, they don't seem to make any of their broadcasts available for sale to the public. And an IMDb search didn't reveal any Don Kelly who might have been the director you mentioned. And Google got me nowhere fast on the film's title or director. Hmmm. I wonder how we can score a copy?

i am going to be on the lookout for this thing agian, to see if i missed some major information about it when they flashed the title, etc.

it was very cool to see

I was reading the CAS website FAQ. There are two good bits of info there that might help - apparently they broadcast an 8 hour long clip show that plays for an entire week. With the new broadcast beginning on Friday. So in theory it should appear today.

And CAS is also on the Dish Network system channel 9406. So if someone on the board has Dish you might catch it today. I have Direct TV unfortunately.

<a href="http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/faq.html" target="_blank">http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/faq.html</a>

Lori

I was reading the CAS website FAQ. There are two good bits of info there that might help - apparently they broadcast an 8 hour long clip show that plays for an entire week. With the new broadcast beginning on Friday. So in theory it should appear today.

And CAS is also on the Dish Network system channel 9406. So if someone on the board has Dish you might catch it today. I have Direct TV unfortunately.

<a href="http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/faq.html" target="_blank">http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/faq.html</a>

Lori

Its being broadcast right now at 11:08pm eastern on G1 channel 5.Thats on the bigdish.C band

Regards,GoldSeals

Heres the info.

"World's Fair Fantasy"

A young boys visit to the 1939 Fair in New York.

Filmed on location by Don Kelly.

Music composed/performed by Alan Boyd.

From the BPG Collection.

Boyd Production Group.

Regards,GoldSeals

Assuming it's the same company, here's the website for Boyd Production Group.

<a href="http://www.boydproductiongroup.com/contact.html" target="_blank">Boyd Production Group</a>

I've sent them an email inquiring about the availability of World's Fair Fantasy for purchase. Will let you all know what I hear back.

wasn't that cool GoldSeals?

Yes Bunny.Thanks for the heads up warning.It was one of the best shorts of the 39 fair that ive seen to date.

When it came on,all this caught me by suprise.My dvd recorder was in the standby mode and viewing classic arts from my 10ft big ugly dish.Yes.Im one of about 10,000 that still have one which are rapidly becoming obsolete.I immediately dashed acrossed the room lunging for the remote like a baseball player running for first base.I then discovered my default recording speed was set for sp (2hr record mode).Quickly changing it to the xp (1hr mode) for best quality video and then pressing record.Wow..I bet I lost maybe about 10 seconds of the beginning of it.The total record time was about 10 minutes to the hardrive.I can now catch my breath:)

GoldSeals

So, since they reprogram every Friday, it's gone now? DRAT! I have the channel on DISH, but I guess it's too late. Just in case, I'm going to record the appropriate time slot for a half hour tomorrow a.m., then record a full 8 hours early Monday a.m. (grinding my teeth in frustration!)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was one of the best shorts of the 39 fair that ive seen to date.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, Goldseal... now I'm REALLY curious! Sure hope somebody (Wayne?) gets the whole thing and is willing to make copies available to the rest of us!

Hi All,

I recalled while reading this topic a b/w film with ...David Niven? ...parachuting onto the Fairgrounds and landing near the Aquacade I think. Anyone know what film this is?

Best,

MB

Wow, Goldseal... now I'm REALLY curious! Sure hope somebody (Wayne?) gets the whole thing and is willing to make copies available to the rest of us!

Hey Worldsfairent,

I maybe able to convert it to wmv and either email or upload it somewhere.Im working on doing just that.Its 710mb of video,or 10 minutes in xp mode.

GoldSeals

update:I was able to convert it to mpeg1 with no sound.Its still to big (130mb).Does anyone know what program I need to convert this dvd to wmv(windows media player)?Thats dvd to wmv,or mpeg1 to wmv

Well, I missed it - nothing in the 8 hours I recorded

Well, I missed it - nothing in the 8 hours I recorded

When I figure out how to reduce it to a windows media file.I will either post it or email it to someone.So far getting errors trying to convert to an avi.I want to go convert from avi to wm.

Regards.GoldSeals

The David Nivin film is “Eternally Yours” and is available on those dollar DVDs.

Another 1939 NYWF related film is “Blondie Goes On Vacation.” Penny Singleton wears a nifty trylon & perisphere hat much to the chagrin of Daisy.

Hi Molasses,

Thanks. I was flipping through late night TV and caught a bit of it. That is how, with an old REAL television where you manually tuned in flickering blueish b/w broadcasts, I once found late on some blurred Friday night the Orson Welles treatment of Kafka's Trial with Tony Perkins. That is my movie suggestion for today

MB

Here's some screen shots of Blondie's trylon & perisphere hat.

post-63-125467127612_thumb.jpg post-63-125467132557_thumb.jpg