• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pboser

pboser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:22 PM

I just watched a Twilight Zone episode entitled "The Odyssey of Flight 33", where a 1961 jet flying from London to Idlewild encounters some turbulence, goes back in time to prehistoric time (dinosaur is seen outside the plane!), then to 1939. They fly over the 1939 Fair, and can see the Trylon and Perisphere! Great stuff!!!

#2 vladimir schimkewitsch

vladimir schimkewitsch

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

Turned on my Tivo and and saw that episode too. Nice way to end the day.

#3 magikbilly

magikbilly

Mock the midnight hour once more...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Hi there,

That is a great episode. Many of the good ones involve air travel and planes. I should look at the DVD and see if it 1939 or 1940 footage

MB

#4 Maverick

Maverick

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:20 AM

I saw that episode... the 1939 air traffic controller kept asking "WHAT kind of plane did you say you are trying to land?!?!?"

#5 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,285 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

I heard a reference on TV last night-
The Andy Griffith Show

Andy was out of town and under Barney's 'leadership' there was a huge traffic jam.
Floyd (the barber) later told Andy 'I haven't seen traffic like that since the 1939 World's Fair!'.

#6 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

Reminds me of a story from my honeymoon, Randy-- and you in particular will appreciate this:

I was sitting at an outdoor bar in the South Pacific when a leathery-skinned American ex-patriot wearing nothing but a bleached out pair of surf shorts asked me where I was from.

"Los Angeles," I replied.

"Oooh... L.A.," he said, disdainfully. "I used to live there-- but I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get the hell out."

"Why's that?" I asked.

"You kiddin'? Because of the #$?!* traffic," he hissed.

"Yeah, it does get pretty bad," I admitted. "When did you finally leave?"

And then he looked at me with a straight face and said...

"1955."

#7 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

Posted Image

FROM THE TWILIGHTZONEMUSEUM.COM:

The Odyssey of Flight 33

ORIGINALLY BROADCAST AS EPISODE 054
STARRING CAST: John Anderson, Paul Comi, Sandy Kenyon, Harp McGuire, Nancy Rennick, Beverly Brown, Betty Garde
WRITER: Rod Serling, with technical advice from Robert Serling
DIRECTOR: Justus Addiss
SUMMARY: Trans-Ocean Airways Flight 33, headed from London to New York, runs into a tailwind that picks up so much speed that the plane travels backward in time to the dinosaur age. The crew picks up enough speed to break the sound barrier but only manage to get back as far as 1939.
REVIEW: I

Ordinary flight from London to New York. There are probably ten flights per day making this particular journey. But one of them succumbs to odd environmental conditions and catapults everyone onboard backwards and forwards through time.

This is Twilight Zone at its best, and it holds a place with the finest. John Anderson is superb in the lead - never succumbing to hysteria and despite the crisis, infinitely calm - almost like a doctor performing a difficult surgery. The supporting cast too are excellent.

Rod Serling sought the aid of his brother, an aviation engineer, while he was writing the script. It paid off greatly...the dialogue couldn't be more accurate, if not accurate-sounding to the layman, and was entrusted to a fine group of actors led by John Anderson. Instead of succumbing to hysteria, they concentrate on getting the plane down in one piece, in 1961. They don't succeed, and have to settle for 1939.

Captain Farver: Hold it. Hold it a minute. Did you feel anything?
First Officer Craig: Feel anything? No. What do you mean?
Captain Farver: I don't know. I felt something. Something funny. Like a sensation of speed. I can't put my finger on it. Guess I'm getting old.
First Officer Craig: True airspeed 470. We're level. Suppose we picked up a tail wind?
Captain Farver: Yeah, maybe. Those jet streams are tricky. It's that crazy feeling I can't shake. You can't feel a tail wind but I feel something.
First Officer Craig: Everything looks fine.
Captain Farver: Magellan, try and get me a ground speed check with the Doppler.
Navigator Hatch: Indicates nine hundred. That's impossible. I'd better check with Loran.
Janie: What's going on?
Navigator Hatch: Hold it a minute. Skipper, Loran indicates a ground speed of 830 knots. I never heard of a tailwind like that. Captain Farver: Check it again. See if you can raise the weather ship Charlie.
Second Officer Wyatt: Yes, sir.
Captain Farver: Ask them for a radar fix on the ground speed check. Magellan, are you sure about that ground speed? Navigator Hatch: I'm not only sure, but we're still accelerating. 980 now. 1120. 1500. God in heaven, I can't even keep up with it.
Second Officer Wyatt: {Into the radio} Global 33 to weather ship Charlie. Global 33 to weather ship Charlie.
Captain Farver: What about Charlie?
Second Officer Wyatt: Nothing, sir. I can't raise them.
Navigator Hatch: 2100.
First Officer Craig: Oh, I hope the wings stay on.
Captain Farver: They will. Don't worry about the wings. It's the true air speed that counts. Ground speed means nothing. Well, we just hit one lulu of a jet stream. Magellan, my needle just reversed past Gander VOR. How could we get past-? Get me a fast position check.
Navigator Hatch: Skipper, we are past Gander. We must be doing three thousand knots.
Captain Farver: Try to raise Harmon control. If you can't raise them, try Moncton or Boston. At this speed, you might as well try to get Idlewild.
Second Officer Wyatt: {Into the radio} Harmon control, this is Global 33. Harmon, do you read us? Moncton. Moncton, this is Global 33. Boston. Boston control, this is Global 33. Boston, please acknowledge. Idlewild. Idlewild, this is Global 33. Idlewild, do you read us? No soap. I can't raise anyone.
First Officer Craig: Skipper, do you know what that is?
Captain Farver: I know exactly what it is. It's the New York World's Fair.
Second Officer Wyatt: New York World's Fair? But that means we'd be back in-
Navigator Hatch: 1939. We came back. We came back...dear God, not far enough!
Captain Farver: Can't land. Can't land at LaGuardia. Can't land in 1939. We've gotta try again.
First Officer Craig: Well, what about the passengers?
Captain Farver: I think we'd better let them in on it. {Into the cabin PA} Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain. What I'm about to tell you...what I'm about to tell you is something I can't explain myself. Your crew is as much in the dark as you are. If you look out on the left-hand side of this aircraft, you'll see directly below an area called Lake Success. And those buildings aren't the United Nations. They happen to be...they happen to be the World's Fair. What I'm trying to tell you is that somehow, someway, in some manner, this aircraft has gone back into time and it's 1939. We're going to try to increase our speed and go back through the same sound barrier we've already done twice before. I don't know if we can do it. All I ask of you is that you remain calm and pray.

#8 magikbilly

magikbilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

"where a 1961 jet flying from London to Idlewild encounters some turbulence, goes back in time to prehistoric time (dinosaur is seen outside the plane!), then to 1939. They fly over the 1939 Fair, and can see the Trylon and Perisphere!"

Come in, like that never happened to you at least once!

MB

#9 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:25 PM

With the right in-flight combo of alcohol, prescription medicine, and bad stuffed chicken with rice-- anything is possible!

#10 magikbilly

magikbilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

My fav Twilight Zones...

Midnight Sun

the "kick the can" one..
The Robert-Redford-is-gonna-kill-me one..
Death Ship..
I shot an Arrow..
The one with the 20 year old sunken sub making noises...and hour long one...Kolchak's boss Vincenzo is the Captain...
Night Caller (the one with the old lad getting calls from her dead husband via a downed telephone wire..)
The Shelter

I better stop or I'll be here forever...and ever...and ever...

MB

#11 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,285 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

Come in, like that never happened to you at least once!

Well sure, prehistoric dinosaurs plenty of times, but I've missed the World's Fair flyover so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users