Sign in to follow this  
Cecilia

SiP Feb 18, 07 pictures

The other forumers have more pictures. We had to leave because my dogs were cold, and couldn't bring the dogs into the museum.

I had a great time, Jed did too, and my dogs also did, thank you guys! There better be another SiP in the spring and in the summer!! Oh, I'm sorry if my dogs scared you guys at first.

My friend Jed and I arrived about 45 minutes early. Yeah, I live like 10 minutes away without traffic.

We decided to take some pictures while we waited.

2007February18001.jpg

It was cold and a little windy out

2007February18002.jpg

Did I mention I brought both of my dogs?

2007February18003.jpg

And stuff that needs no description

2007February18004.jpg

2007February18005.jpg

2007February18008.jpg

Right before this, I fell on my butt. It sucked, but the guys helped me up and shared stories of how they had also fallen.

2007February18009.jpg

2007February18011.jpg

2007February18012.jpg

2007February18013.jpg

2007February18014.jpg

2007February18015.jpg

2007February18016.jpg

Thank you for the photos Cecilia!

I feel so bad for suggesting SiP:SiN and then not being to make it myself. Thanks to your super-fast posting of photos I almost feel like I was there (except for the being cold part of course ). I can't wait to hear about everything. How many people showed up? I hope everyone had a good time sharing Fair- and FMCP-related stories. And I hope there were no nazis on duty at the NYSP!

Even though it was probably a bit frigid, there is something to be said about the beauty of seeing FMCP blanketed with a light coating of snow and with the clouds in the otherwise blue sky (reminds me of the winter photos that people have posted from the 1939-40 NYWF

I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing more photos (and hopefully attending the next SiP).

Glen

I think there were about 6 or 7 of us forumers, a wife & daughter & a friend, my friend and two dogs. So 11ish humans. lol!

We also saw the old post office, and the new building- for the pool and new ice rink...and more things. I'm bad at reviews.

To all my friends at PTU.-I was there today and waited in the Queens Musuem parking lot until about 5 to 1 with my girlfriend.We then ventured out and all I heard from her was the following."It`s too cold.It`s too windy.I`m going to slip on the ice.No one is going to show up.Let`s not go to the front of the musuem,we can go inside instead and everyone will meet us there".There was more whinning than any wine from the Napa Valley.As a consequence we wound up going inside the Musuem instead .There ,I met no one.The new updates to the panarama were spectacular with the new lighting, movies ,and narration.The Moses exhibition was also pretty inclusive with tons of pictures.If anyone was at the narration I was the one who yelled out Edison was born around the same time as Moses.I was the one in the leather jacket and Yankee cap.I`m sorry that we never got to meet everyone.To make matters worse she insisted on going with me again if there is another sip in the spring.This time I will go alone and not let her know so I can meet everyone and enjoy myself.My apologies to all who I did not get to meet,hope to see everyone in the spring-SonnyTFox aka/Jerry

HI EVERYONE! Well I got there at 1 Pm and waited about 15 minutes for all to show up. I waited for Chairman but he didn't show. Maybe next time then buddy O.K. It was just to painful to stand in one place. I Asked Magik which way we should go. He suggested Spillway Bridge the Main Gate. Well most of the wonderful murals were under the ice except the Hall of Science And half of the NYSP. Then onto the new ice rink and old Post office. The rink will be very nice. Then we went to Fountain of the Planets/Lagoon of Nations man was the wind blowing people falling on the ice, dogs shivering. We took a glance at the Rocker Thrower and moved on to the Unisphere. Magik Billy then started to describe the 1939 fair with such vividness that I could see it perfectly in my mind. We then entered the Museum and saw pictures and artifacts from both fairs on display. As well as models of both fairs. It was fun listening to different people describing their memories of the fair. One person even remembers the better living building still standing when everything else was knocked down. We finished up by looking at the new and improved Panorama of New York. Also the PTU'ers, 10 of us plus two dogs were the nicest people you could meet, a testament to what wonderful people we have on this board. The parking lot at the Museum was packed like I never saw it. The Legacies of the two New York World fairs is alive and very strong indeed.

Thanks everyone Wally.

Hi All,

I would like to thank everyone for a wonderful Sunday! I hope I did not ramble too much about 1939 and things past - it is hard not to when surrounded by the ghosts of 60 million people (from just 39). It was a pleasure to meet all of you, including the poochies , and I really hope we can do this with warmer weather. Maybe a REAL Sunday - hot dogs and all. Full day event. Have a chance to lie on the grass. I enjoyed hearing the different tales, and learning more than I ever knew about the 1964/65 event in one day. I brought a 1939 Guidebook map and some larger b/w slides - with warmer less wet weather I could bring so much more. Next time everybody gets a 1939/40 original Magikbilly photo! It was cold, but not terribly so, and it was nice, although a little disorienting, with the blanket of snow. What became clear to me is how much more fun we could have with a huge crowd! Another thing that became clear to me - someone put a hat on my head next time pics are taken!

I am attaching a scan of the Bridge I suggested we visit - I was surprised several said they'd not been on it before or realized that it was from 1939. It may not have looked like much, but it is the best of the last of the 1939 remnants, and is more or less unchanged, as I hope the following photograph shows. Did anyone photograph it today? The photo below is by Wurts. I am too tired to dig one up of my own right now. And yes, I won all the auctions I spoke of

Many thanks to all

Magik aka Eric

PS - Happy Birthday Future Visions!!

bridgeflagsWURTS1939.jpg

The Bridge of Flags, 1939 New York World's Fair

Billy,

Because of your vivid imagery of the 39-40 WF I bought the World of Tomorrow video from the QMA shop. I had to see more. You really brought it to life.

Anyway. Good fun walking the park with PTU'ers. I usually walk the park alone after dark with the ghosts of the fair around me but living people are better conversation. Count me in for the next SiP !

DC

Hi again,

Here are some images of some stuff we talked about today and places we were

XMAStheme.jpg

Theme Center 1938/9 © EKL

ptuCOMMUNICATIONS1940cEKL2005wm.jpg

Communications 1940 © EKL

ptuPOSTEDptuLAGOONcEL.jpg

The Lagoon of Nations 1937/8 © EKL

chrysler1940newexposureadjusted3.jpg

Chrysler 1940 © EKL

rocketportnewexposure1940bw2.jpg

The Chrysler Rocketport in operation 1939 © EKL

XMASfrozenlake.jpg

Pre Fair 1938 © EKL

overlay19391964finalinvertYELLOW.jpg

1939 and 1964 together - yellow is "common ground"

Dear Don,

Thanks for the kind words you will love that video - it was what started me. Talking with you, and Wally and everyone - GREAT! I recall taping that documentary in 1989 on ch. 13. I am still watching the same tape on the same cassette - I think I need to get the DVD myself! It was really nice to see all of you - wish I had more time.

We simply MUST schedule another!!

Best to all,

Eric

PS - THANKS CECILIA!!! You photographed the Bridge!

PSS - sorry abt the pix - they will be back up shortly. Too much traffic

PS - THANKS CECILIA!!! You photographed the Bridge!

And the lovely touch of the bikes.

I'm going to get back to take more pics of the bridge with my other camera the second that it warms up outside. I'll see what fences I can hop to get some decent photos.

2007February18008.jpg

2007February18006.jpg

2007February18007.jpg

Hey again All,

I will post my SiP pics taken by my friend Joe tomorrow - simply too tired. There is at least one complete group shot with all of us. Note to self - next SiP get everyone to wear their icons....I am terrible with names.

We gotta do this when it is warm!!!

MB

Thanks to everyone for reports and photos - hope I can get to the next one

Hey again All,

I will post my SiP pics taken by my friend Joe tomorrow - simply too tired. There is at least one complete group shot with all of us. Note to self - next SiP get everyone to wear their icons....I am terrible with names.

We gotta do this when it is warm!!!

MB

Not to be full of myself or anything, but mostly everyone knew who I was. I think it helped being a chick.

I need a cool avatar... then again, I change my avatar on other forums a lot, I'll have to find something cool.

I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures. I've been refreshing this thread every 5 minutes or so!

So sorry I missed the event yesterday I was so looking forward to meeting all of you. Lets make plans for another get together.

While the topic is hot and the weather is not. I suggest we make another SIP say in May. Before it gets hot. I don't like to dictate things. So as a group what are your feelings. I would especially like to see Glen and Chairman there. I don't know if we can have a barbecue there. But a blanket with sandwiches and a cooler must certainly be allowed. Also with the warmer weather. Maybe we can get some West Coasters and people from other States to come to the former Fairgrounds. A good place to have it might be on the grass not to far from the main gate. Lets say like between the Main Gate and the George Washington Statue. I remember that as a nice spot in the spring. There people can come by car or train. I would also like to attend a Mets game with you, for those who like that sort of thing.

Regards Wally

Hi All,

I am sorry abt the pics being down - 887 times just today the images were attempted to be seen - a little too much traffic for my simple host. I will do what I can

MB

Hello everyone

Thanks to all for remembering my birthday.

It was great to see members together sharing ideas and memories despite the freezing Arctic temperature, but we had a lot of fun.

The bicycle pics are hilarious.

Oh yes the Corona Ice King was open, but we didn't dare to get out of the car.

Here are a few pics that I took.

enjoy

post-419-125367556832_thumb.jpgpost-419-125367556757_thumb.jpgpost-419-125367556893_thumb.jpgpost-3110-125369576154_thumb.jpg

Thank you for sharing your memories and photos.

I would love to attend one of these SIP's (I'd love a weekend. Tour the grounds, "do" the museum, and then have a picnic. Next day, Mets!). I hope I can someday.

When I go though, I'll hope for warmer weather than you had. Your brave souls.

That picture of the icy water is from a bridge ????And the grate serves what purpose...and where is the location of this bridge.....

Hi

This bridge, the Bridge of Flags, is located near the Golf Course that is now where the Town of Tomorrow was. It led across the river from Garden Way to the area of Gardens on Parade (now an ice rink in construction, which is a true shame because, according to Pierre M, there were many plants remaining from '39 Gardens on Parade that would still bloom every year). The bridge remains in excellent condition considering the lack of upkeep. Most of the deco elements, other than the flags and a rail removed and two added. The grates and "doors" on the backside are meant to collect trash I imagine (and keep out Nessie) as this and another now-gone bridge closer to the Lagoon of Nations were used to control the flow of water. I have a construction photo in winter with ice and all - a pretty good match - I will dig it up and scan it for PTU posting

Best,

MB