15 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

Pat asked to pass this along, but I'm not sure how to access the photos....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randy, I sent this off to the PTU e-mail address, however I'm not certain if anyone checks that site....Good pictures of the 39 Fair.......Pat M...
-----Original Message-----
To: mailto:ptu@peacethroughunderstanding.org
Sent: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 7:38 AM
Subject: Fwd: [NYC_TRANSIT_MODELERS_GROUP] Check out QUEENSPIX.COM

Thought these pictures are quite interesting....Especially the pics of the 1939 Fair.....Pat M...
-----Original Message-----
To: mailto:nyc_transit_modelers_group@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 5:41 PM
Subject: [NYC_TRANSIT_MODELERS_GROUP] Check out QUEENSPIX.COM

QUEENSPIX.COM
__._,_.___ Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar NOTE: <> PHOTOS sent & received ONLY by email can be VIEWED, as they are NO LONGER "JPEG" stored (EXCEPT "HTML CODE" EMBEDED ones which ARE VIEWED as stored) on the Website Mesasage Board; WEBMASTER <>
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity 1 New Photos Visit Your Group Give Back Yahoo! for Good Get inspired by a good cause. Y! Toolbar Get it Free! easy 1-click access to your groups. Yahoo! Groups Start a group in 3 easy steps. Connect with others. .
__,_._,___
Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,829 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

<a href="http://queenspix.com/39wfindex.html" target="_blank">http://queenspix.com...findex.html</a>

#3 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:44 AM

Wow, those are the best photos we've seen of the 1939 fair!
At least that many great shots in one group.

I sure wish they had captions. Obviously the seller has no idea what each scene is other than the self explanitory ones.

#4 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,829 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:21 AM

If you look at his 1964 stuff he has some great shots as well. There are a few Freedomland ones mixed in there. I sent info on that and some corrections to titles, never got a reply and no changes made.

#5 Don Cavaioli

Don Cavaioli

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

I saw one picture that had something that looked like the parachute jump ride at Coney Island. The 39 WF had one ? or was it something else.

D

#6 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

It was the same one that is now at Coney Island- they moved it after the World's Fair closed.

#7 Yadda Yadda

Yadda Yadda

Blueprint Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

If you look at his 1964 stuff he has some great shots as well. There are a few Freedomland ones mixed in there. I sent info on that and some corrections to titles, never got a reply and no changes made.

I've been tempted to buy several of the '64-'65 shots, but it's always bugged me that they are creating the finished prints on a computer printer... At $15 per B&W image ($25 for color), I would at least want the photo printed the "old fashioned way" from the original negative.

I sent Queenspix an email a while ago asking about this, and also asked if they would ever consider selling the digital images on a CD (ala Bill Cotter) - I never got a reply from them either...

Has anybody here ever purchased any of the Queenspix photos?
If so, how was the quality of the finished print?

Best Regards,
Kevin

#8 magikbilly

magikbilly

Radioactive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

Well,

I was hoping to be blown away I saw about or 5 that were unusual. There is one labelled "petroleum" and I don't know what it is. Most are pretty mediocre lucky shots. Some are frumpy!

MB

#9 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:46 AM

I find the photographs of the state exhibits (page three) to be interesting. I have often thought that the main building in this area
(which resembled Independence Hall) was so incongruous with the rest of the Fair. The scenes of the scrap heap were odd. The
image labeled "The Voice" near the end of the collection is one I have seen before. It was sculpted from one actual tree but I don't
recall that it was entitled, "The Voice." Does anybody know if that is accurate?

#10 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:46 AM

Well, I liked 'em!
Lots of good photos are lucky shots.

What's the deal with the scrap pile?
I was wondering about that.

#11 magikbilly

magikbilly

Radioactive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

The voice - they are thinking of Lift Every Voice by Augusta Savage and that was in the same Zone, but they really need to crack a guidebook or something. The sculpture shown is a carved elm titled The Tree of Life by Laurence Stevens. Often forgotten are the man and woman ay the side made from eucalyptus. The scrap heap photos might actually be labelled corretcly.

MB

#12 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

Has anybody here ever purchased any of the Queenspix photos?
If so, how was the quality of the finished print?

Best Regards,
Kevin

I bought a couple of aerial shots once, and the quality was quite good. There's no way to tell beforehand what the quality is, though - other shots might not come from such good originals. I wonder if they'd be willing to send you a small part of a print to let you judge - or maybe they should put an enlargement of a small part on their site.

#13 magikbilly

magikbilly

Radioactive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

What abt Iconpix? I have seen those images before..online..and from them I think. The Wonderbread and most Theme stuff has been up and sold before. These are now vintage glossies of the same subjects - up again? At lease 1 member in here is bidding on this stuff. Anyone buy from them before? What did you receive? An original or an older reprint? I am troubled I guess by having seen the images before.

MB

#14 magikbilly

magikbilly

Radioactive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:46 PM

My memory is intact. I have seen these images for sale by Iconpix before, and not just in their past auctions. They are published in books - not unique. The one showing the Carrier Igloo at night can be seen in "The New York World's Fair in 155 Photographs" for example.

MB

#15 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

So, again... what's the deal with the scrap heap?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users